Dynadot

question SEO 301 Redirecting expired domains

NameSilo
Watch

Sheries11

Established Member
Impact
1. how long does it take for 301 redirects to impact on search ranking ? In 2020

2. If you did 301 redirects before what is the best practices !?

Kindly share your knowledge

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey there! Using expired domains for SEO is an interesting topic so thanks for bringing it up! One thing I will add is that I forward all expired domains to my main eCommerce site using Google Tag parameters. This way, I can keep track of the traffic that each domain sends to my site. Some of the traffic is due to a previously developed site but also a large portion is just type in traffic. The way my math works is that if I make 1 sale a year ( or even on average a half a sale) attributed to a specific domain, then it's worth a renewal fee. This is a great tutorial:

•••
For what it's worth, I have noticed my Alexa rank get better (lower) by forwarding more expired domains with traffic.

•••
Would love to know if any one had the experience .. can tell about the Timing ..
how long does it take ?

•••
Well I have 301 couple of domains on my site and have seen the ranking change in around 2/3 weeks on average. Sometime google might pickup the domain and links fast, sometime it might takes time, specially when it is not indexed.

•••
As far as SEO goes, it really depends on the backlink profile of the domain name you're redirecting. It also depends on what type of site you have and the platform it is built on. Google seems to have a preference for certain platforms over others. All these factors can affect results.

Assuming that you have an ecommerce website built on wordpress that sells shoes, what will be sensible will be to find expired domains with non-spammy backlinks using mostly shoe related anchor texts. The reputation of the backlink sources also makes a world of a difference. An expired domain with 30 dofollow backlinks from websites like bbc.com will do far more for you than one with 1 million spammy backlinks that has been used in a PBN.

About 90%-95% of the link juice is passed on to your site, both positive and negative. You can see results as fast as 2-3 weeks if the backlink profile of the expired domain is solid. You will also suffer any penalty that the domain you are redirecting has been hit with.

•••
As far as SEO goes, it really depends on the backlink profile of the domain name you're redirecting. It also depends on what type of site you have and the platform it is built on. Google seems to have a preference for certain platforms over others. All these factors can affect results.

Assuming that you have an ecommerce website built on wordpress that sells shoes, what will be sensible will be to find expired domains with non-spammy backlinks using mostly shoe related anchor texts. The reputation of the backlink sources also makes a world of a difference. An expired domain with 30 dofollow backlinks from websites like bbc.com will do far more for you than one with 1 million spammy backlinks that has been used in a PBN.

About 90%-95% of the link juice is passed on to your site, both positive and negative. You can see results as fast as 2-3 weeks if the backlink profile of the expired domain is solid. You will also suffer any penalty that the domain you are redirecting has been hit with.

Very well explained, straight to the point with all required details and still easy to understand.

•••
Another important factor to consider is your redirecting strategy.

Based on the shoe ecommerce example I used above, let's assume that you find an expired domain with a solid backlink profile. If the anchor text in the backlink is something like 'black formal shoes', you will experience better SEO results and conversion rates by redirecting to an internal category in your store named 'formal shoes' than redirecting to the home page.

•••
Another important factor to consider is your redirecting strategy.

Based on the shoe ecommerce example I used above, let's assume that you find an expired domain with a solid backlink profile. If the anchor text in the backlink is something like 'black formal shoes', you will experience better SEO results and conversion rates by redirecting to an internal category in your store named 'formal shoes' than redirecting to the home page.

-------

Thank you a lot for the precious information, i have 3 points here :

Did you notice that Ranking drops first for a while then it goes higher than it used to be ( before ) ?
As this is happening with me ( a little scary )

Does it take 2 : 3 weeks still in 2019 / 2020 .. as i'm seeing articles online saying that these days
it takes 3 : 6 or even more months to reflect !!

Last thing, lately i have been using Citation flow , Trust flow, Domain Authority, Page Authority + Ahrefs Domain Rank .. long ago i didn't pay much attention to Ahrefs .. but i think it's actually the most important out of them all, CF, TF, DA, PA all of them doesn't mean really any thing if Ahrefs rank is not high ..

Last edited:
•••
1) That happens in some cases. It is sort of a probationary period. Assuming that you have a brand new domain with little to no backlinks and suddenly acquire 5k backlinks from a 301 redirect, it will trigger redflags. Normally, organic backlinks don't happen overnight...they trickle in. It is no cause for alarm if your backlink profile is solid. It will come back up.

2) There a few factors that determine the speed, reputation of backlink sources and domain age being a couple of them. If someone with an aged domain plagiarizes your content, they initially get the benefit of the doubt. Blackhatters are notorious for buying aged domain names, scraping contents and creating PBNs with them for link building purposes. You also have to look out for negative SEO. The variables and possible scenarios are way too many to list here. Results may even vary from industry to industry. The more competitive the industry and keywords are, the harder it is to rank well.

3) What I have observed from personal experience has more to do with the balance. For instance, if you have a CF 40 with a TF 12, it's a bit questionable. It means majority of your backlinks may be spammy. A site with a CF 20 and a TF 19 will easily outrank you. The issue I have found with DA is that it often disregards spam. You can easily increase your DA by throwing 2M spammy backlinks at it from Fiverr services or with a tool like Scrapebox. If you buy a domain name with a high DA, you should still scrutinize the backlinks. Another factor is the relationship of the backlinks to your website topic. Assuming I have a fitness website that suddenly acquires a ton of accounting related backlinks to my homepage, it will trigger redflags all over the place.

When you buy domains to redirect, keep in mind that the backlinks of the domains will have to be maintained. As they fall off, your rankings will steadily drop. You will have to keep buying more domains with good backlink profiles to counter that.

•••
Thank you brother, that was great information .. god bless you

•••
With the last update of google i see a games online website, with 301 redirects from music websites fall from position 2 to position 13, i think they devaulate a little the 301's but is soon for be sure

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back