Ahmed Mohsen

Established Member
Impact
I'm not happy with the idea of waiting months or years for a one sale process

While waiting for my first domain sale ,
let me ask about yours

tell us about your first domain sale ?
- the domain name
- how much time it took to be sold (from purchase time)
- the sale date
- the platform or market who sold your domain & the sale price :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Biggest mistake domainers make is sitting and waiting for a sale.

You go and approach end-users if you want to sell names regularly.

•••

Where to find them?

there's expertised brokers who marketing my domains for them , it's their job

and I did my best by adding my domains for all of them and everywhere

•••

Agreed. Let me add: not by spamming or any intrusive manner. Do online and off-line promotions, just like any normal business. Most domainers don't.

•••

Not a mistake, just a different business strategy. If that's your strength then by all means use it. Its not mine. I could spend twice as long with half the results outbounding compared to those who have a strength in that area. But that would be neither enjoyable for me nor an efficient use of my time.

You do what works for you. I thing the biggest mistake is to try to replicate the success of others. What worked for them may or may not work for you. Play your strengths and do what works for you.

Some do outbound. Some do quick flips to other domainers by finding names under wholesale value and reselling at wholesale. Some, like me, hold and wait, one advantage this has is when the buyer comes to you you are in a better negotiation position to get more for the domain, so while you have fewer sales generally I think with this strategy you make more per sale.

As far as the OPs question my first sale was for jobr / ite .comaxquired September 2019 from expired auction for about $380 sold Febuary 2020 for $3500 on payment plan (1000 down + 250/mo). The buyer just this month paid it off in full. I got the original inquiry on the landing page about 2 weeks after I got it. It took a lot of back and forth until the deal was reached and down payment made in Febuary. Note 2 weeks to inquiry is rare. I listen to one domainers podcast who has said the average time to sell is 400 days. But depending on your strategy (and luck) it may be shorter or longer.

•••
Not a mistake, just a different business strategy. If that's your strength then by all means use it. Its not mine. I could spend twice as long with half the results outbounding compared to those who have a strength in that area. But that would be neither enjoyable for me nor an efficient use of my time.

You do what works for you. I thing the biggest mistake is to try to replicate the success of others. What worked for them may or may not work for you. Play your strengths and do what works for you.

Some do outbound. Some do quick flips to other domainers by finding names under wholesale value and reselling at wholesale. Some, like me, hold and wait, one advantage this has is when the buyer comes to you you are in a better negotiation position to get more for the domain, so while you have fewer sales generally I think with this strategy you make more per sale.

As far as the OPs question my first sale was for jobr / ite .comaxquired September 2019 from expired auction for about $380 sold Febuary 2020 for $3500 on payment plan (1000 down + 250/mo). The buyer just this month paid it off in full. I got the original inquiry on the landing page about 2 weeks after I got it. It took a lot of back and forth until the deal was reached and down payment made in Febuary. Note 2 weeks to inquiry is rare. I listen to one domainers podcast who has said the average time to sell is 400 days. But depending on your strategy (and luck) it may be shorter or longer.

Thanks for sharing this experience
so you took about 5/6 months to sell your first domain
2 weeks of negotiation is much in the normal life (n)

•••
I'm not happy with the idea of waiting months or years for a one sale process

While waiting for my first domain sale ,
let me ask about yours

tell us about your first domain sale ?
- the domain name
- how much time it took to be sold (from purchase time)
- the sale date
- the platform or market who sold your domain & the sale price :xf.grin:

Hi
my first sale, equitymanagers.com was on DNF, about 18 years ago
i hand regged it for $6.95 and sold it a few days later for about $75 to another domainer.

Hi
as said by @X7 Ryan, it's not a mistake.
it's how one chooses to conduct business
and every sale doesn't have to be to an enduser

other domainers can pay just as much or more, than many endusers, because they know the potential, better than one you have to convince.
check where those past sales you guys look at everyday and see where they resolve.
majority probably are parked and endusers, typically don't park domain names.
so what does that tell you?

i've had many profitable sales to other domainers over the years and such sales are what keeps the domaining engine running.

but the waiting game gives you a chance to get to know your domain, many will acquire a domain and try to resell it, before they even know if it gets any traffic.
so they may be selling themselves short, when not fully aware of the domains potential.

imo...

•••
Thanks for sharing this experience
so you took about 5/6 months to sell your first domain
2 weeks of negotiation is much in the normal life (n)

Not 2 weeks of negotiation. 2 weeks after i bought it before the inquiry came in. But didn't actually strike a deal for several months. It wasn't constant negotiations. It was more it stalled out then nothing for 2 months then start back up...several times. Finally we got to 3500 which I felt was the highest the buyer was going to go, and it was almost 10x so I took it and used the cash to fund later purchases.

•••
Not 2 weeks of negotiation. 2 weeks after i bought it before the inquiry came in. But didn't actually strike a deal for several months. It wasn't constant negotiations. It was more it stalled out then nothing for 2 months then start back up...several times. Finally we got to 3500 which I felt was the highest the buyer was going to go, and it was almost 10x so I took it and used the cash to fund later purchases.

you just mentioned 2 dates September 2019 when you bought and February 2020 when you sold
means about 5 months!

•••
•••
you just mentioned 2 dates September 2019 when you bought and February 2020 when you sold
means about 5 months!

Yes. That is what I mean it was a slot longer than just 2 weeks of negotiation. It was months. You misread my original post the 2 weeks was fine from purchase to inquiry, which as I pointed out is not typical. But from that inquiry to the agreement and down payment was about 5 months.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back