IT.COM

debate Selling your domains using paid advertising

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all, most of us probably to not own premium one word domains that get type in traffic and a stream of buyers knocking on your door.

However, we probably do own decent one or two word keyword domains that just need exposure to the right buyer.

The problem is if you park the domains at DomainNameSales, Godaddy, Sedo, Afternic etc for sale not many queries are generated mainly due to the sheer volume of domains on sale there.

Do any of you use paid advertising to market and sell domains? If so please share tips and tricks and success stories here - this could be type of advertising used (eg banners), channels (eg Facebook) and other promotional methods.

For example, I have been experimenting with Facebook ads. The CPC is quite expensive ($0.68) but I have had views and inquiries on the domain name advertised.

What do some of you more experience sellers do? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have to look at it this way, there are millions of names around (120 millions if you consider .coms) , if you advertise using your keyword for the name (which is again reducing the chances by thousands), you are still looking at the million plus possibilities (possible names). So not sure what is the likelihood that if the person clicks on your keyword ad, they will like your name? I do not think of much...

•••
I did some FB ads, CPC was lower but I didn't have any inquiries, though I did not run this enough time.
Did you target people outside US ?

•••
I did some FB ads, CPC was lower but I didn't have any inquiries, though I did not run this enough time.
Did you target people outside US ?
Hi Mike Y, thanks for getting back. You have to be very specific with FB ads targeting. I was selling a technology related domain name so I only targeted the ads to 4 countries to start: USA, UK, Australia and Canada.

I also made sure that I targeted people whose interests were website design etc. This was my target market for the domain I was selling.

The way I see it is that if you are looking for end users then you need to target specific groups who might want that domain.

This way, your CPC may be higher but the quality of replies you get is better due to more accurate targeting. If you go for less targeted audiences you will get a lower CPC but a lower enquiry rate.

•••
Yeah you're right, I think I'm not so bad ad FB ads, I had good results, but never tried to sell domain, that;s why I failed - I was targeting domainers, not end users - thanks man, I'll try your approach now !

•••
You have to look at it this way, there are millions of names around (120 millions if you consider .coms) , if you advertise using your keyword for the name (which is again reducing the chances by thousands), you are still looking at the million plus possibilities (possible names). So not sure what is the likelihood that if the person clicks on your keyword ad, they will like your name? I do not think of much...

Hi, thanks for replying. the key is not using keyword ads.

You have to use banner ads with your domain in the ad advertised for sale.

You are right, keyword ads will not work well to sell a domain (unless someone has some tips here...)

•••
Yeah you're right, I think I'm not so bad ad FB ads, I had good results, but never tried to sell domain, that;s why I failed - I was targeting domainers, not end users - thanks man, I'll try your approach now !

Hi Mike, don't target domainers.Target end users. So, in FB ads, look to target users who may have a use for the domain you are offering.

For example, if you are selling a domain containing "porkrecipes" then look to target people who have food blogs etc.

Also, you want short, brandable domains - 2 words maximum and less than 10-12 characters.

•••
I see that you are talking about FB Ads, well I sold 15 domain names so far with their ads platform. First, you have to build an asset (FB Page, audience, etc.) - this is the "hardest" part, and after gaining some traction (organic growth), advertise only to them. This brings down the CPC no matter what country tier you are serving ads. Also consider selling the domain names with a high contrast logo, it helps you get a higher engagement rate and lower CPC. If you want to target end users, FB Ads is not a good choice, the most lucrative is to contact them directly with a strong sales letter. Just my 2 cents...

•••
I see that you are talking about FB Ads, well I sold 15 domain names so far with their ads platform. First, you have to build an asset (FB Page, audience, etc.) - this is the "hardest" part, and after gaining some traction (organic growth), advertise only to them. This brings down the CPC no matter what country tier you are serving ads. Also consider selling the domain names with a high contrast logo, it helps you get a higher engagement rate and lower CPC. If you want to target end users, FB Ads is not a good choice, the most lucrative is to contact them directly with a strong sales letter. Just my 2 cents...

Hi Tudor, great points, I like your thinking on building a page and fanbase. The only problem I can see with this is you would ultimately be selling to other domain investors and will not maximise your price.

I say this as I can't see many end users being interested in engaging with a FB page about domains. They have a business to run and only want the one name you offer. Once the deal is done, they are pretty much gone for good unless you have similar names they want.

Correct me if I am wrong on the above as you have the experience of actually doing this.

Regarding selling domain names with a high contrast logo, are you talking about the FB ad itself here which can only be about 20% text?

Thanks.

•••

@kaz2 Nice post man, thanks for sharing your FB ad experience.

@Tudor V my specific question is regarding "strong sales letter" you mentioned. So far I have learned that the letter should be short and to the point (i.e, we are selling this domain, are you interested...).

My questions:
1. Do you think this style of letter is strong enough to attract potential buyers (or at least their little interest) towards the domain I am selling?
2. Do you recommend anything else in the sales letter that could lead to conversion?

Thanks

•••
You're welcome Pliq, thanks for reaching out. I really believe that by sharing experiences we will all become better at what we do. Good points about the sales letter.

@Tudor V I'd like to add - are you recommending an actual sales letter in the post as opposed to email?

•••
@kaz2, thanks for sharing, very interesting. A question: where the ad link to? a website of yours, a Marketplace? just curious

Last edited:
•••
@kaz2, thanks for sharing, very interesting. A question: where the ad link to? a website of yours, a Marketplace? just curious

Hi ArielT, I always link directly to the domain for sale landing page either at DomainNameSales or a custom landing page.

I have thought about paring the page at Afternic or Sedo and pointing the ad there as there may be an element of trust as they are big well known brands.

However, best thing is to link to your own domain landing page if the advertising platform terms and conditions allow it.

•••
@Pliq & @kaz2 :

Is true that you are selling mostly to other traders, most of my sales on FB are in the $xx price range, and a few @ $xxx, the goal here is to find a balance between ad spending, competitive prices and domain value. Targeting end-users via fb ads is not a good option - sales letters for end-users.

@kaz2 was asking about the 20% rule, that's the last problem :) You have a title, a description for inserting text (domain, purpose, etc.). The picture should contain the logo (quality design, not a text-logo) - the add would look like those on brandbucket.

1. So far, contacting potential buyers with a sales letter is the most lucrative way for me. Also it depends on the domain name of course.

2. Write the sales letter from buyer's perspective, what gains your attention? what would make you open to business?

I hope it makes sense :)

•••
@Pliq & @kaz2 :

@kaz2 was asking about the 20% rule, that's the last problem :) You have a title, a description for inserting text (domain, purpose, etc.). The picture should contain the logo (quality design, not a text-logo) - the add would look like those on brandbucket.

1. So far, contacting potential buyers with a sales letter is the most lucrative way for me. Also it depends on the domain name of course.

2. Write the sales letter from buyer's perspective, what gains your attention? what would make you open to business?

I hope it makes sense :)
Hi Tudor V, great reply.

Regarding end users and FB ads, I agree it does not look great for end users. Part of the problem is this 20% rule. The problem is some people will click on the ad thinking it is offering a service rather than domain name for sale so you really need to make it clear that here is a domain name offered for sale which is not easy given space limitations.

For example, I was selling a domain name that offered training - it had many click throughs to the landing page (on DomainNameSales) but very few offers. I think most people clicked through looking for this training.

Regarding your sales letters, are these via email?

As an aside, I am looking at LinkedIn ads now as an option for targeting end users - I think this is a better platform for this.

•••
This depends on how you craft the ad, and what's your audience angle of view.

Sales letter, yes e-mail.

Never tried LinkedIn, but looks promising.

•••
Could work using paid advertising. guy paid to talk to Facebook CEO got a sale he paid. guess depends on who sees it and if it's showing up in relevant areas.

•••
As an aside, I am looking at LinkedIn ads now as an option for targeting end users - I think this is a better platform for this.

That's a great idea. As it's a professional network I bet conversion (or at least interest rate) will be better than FB ads. Do keep us posted about how it goes for you mate.

Anyone here tried Linkedin ads already with success in selling domains? Would appreciate your experience about it.

•••
Money is better spent building an email list. :)

•••
Hi Tudor V, great reply.

Hey @kaz2 !

How did your LinkedIn experience work out?

I was thinking about doing that myself and found this thread. Seems to me to be the best way to market a domain. Helluva lot better thanm paying Flippa X hundred dollars for an ad.

•••
Thanks for the post. just realised i can use for my domain sale at flippa. i just did. in my case, i am targeting domainers as i don't know how to target end users for my current domain (its brokerag.es)

•••
If you get right buyer through paid advertising than its profitable.

•••
Just got a notification about this post. I would like to update a little since the sitiuation has changed.

So far: Over 2016 I managed to make a profit of around $7500 selling low priced domains, most of the still in the $xx range and 8 in the mid-low $xxx. Advertising costs were around ~$1500 on FB Ads, targeting new page owners, small companies (based on locations with specific profiles) and people based on their job description. Of course the profiles are much richer in details. The way that works so far, micro ads, targeted to a very specific audience of around 1k - 3k people, manual bidding.

I also tested LinkedIn. I sold 15 domain names totaling a little under $1k, no paid advertising, just connect with people from the industry AND small businesses, and apply the sales letter principle (there are examples here on NamePros forum).

L.E. Take it as an example and add your twist, it might work out better if you have higher valued domains.

Last edited:
•••
Just got a notification about this post. I would like to update a little since the sitiuation has changed.

So far: Over 2016 I managed to make a profit of around $7500 selling low priced domains, most of the still in the $xx range and 8 in the mid-low $xxx. Advertising costs were around ~$1500 on FB Ads, targeting new page owners, small companies (based on locations with specific profiles) and people based on their job description. Of course the profiles are much richer in details. The way that works so far, micro ads, targeted to a very specific audience of around 1k - 3k people, manual bidding.

I also tested LinkedIn. I sold 15 domain names totaling a little under $1k, no paid advertising, just connect with people from the industry AND small businesses, and apply the sales letter principle (there are examples here on NamePros forum).

L.E. Take it as an example and add your twist, it might work out better if you have higher valued domains.

Thanks Mate for info.

I'm selling SEO friendly domain names all the time back 2 years ago until now.

I have my OWN group and I'm promoting my names to other groups as well on Facebook, but nowadays, Facebook reach is very low, and people are rarely comment in my post and interest to my names.

My names are VERY good, and can be sold to mid XXX$, but nowadays, It's rare when I get someone to buy. So I though maybe launching an ad and target those guys in the groups will works like a charm.

Do you think this will works for other type domains?

•••
I have thought about doing this many times. Thanks guys for the update.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back