IT.COM

Selling domains on Ebay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys its safe to say I am a complete beginner to buying and selling domain names. But for some reason I decided to register one the other day (gamesandmagic.com) geeky I know but I thought maybe I could make some money off it so Im going to chuck it on ebay. However I am wondering do Ebay have any specific rules how you sell them? Do I just take down their details for my register (goDaddy) and transfer it after the sale? Fairly confused and maybe currently out of my depth help meeee :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just sold one this morning there. This is how I do it, you can adjust accordingly. Free to list first 50 a month.

I pick this category - Specialty Services > Web & Computer Services > Domain Names

Fill it out.

Pick a title.

Upload a free pic.

Then they have a section where you fill out:
Type - Domain
Domain Extension - .com or whatever
Registered At - GoDaddy
Service Area - this has a remove link next to it, I remove it

Then you have the main section.

Tell a little about the domain. I put up
domain name
expiration date
where it's registered at
what type of payment you take, like paypal
when do you expect payment - within 48 hours
when you'll push - within 24 hours

that kind of thing

Then you have a section where you set the price and shipping details.

I pick a price, set it at 7 days, for me it's free first 50

Shipping is Economy Shipping set to $0.00 since we don't really ship.

Whoever wins will get an email with link to pay by Paypal.

Once you get paid, you'll get a notice that they paid and you just contact them thru Ebay for their GoDaddy Customer number and email address and push it on over once you get it.

•••
odds of you selling this for more than you paid are practically zero. Reging a name then selling it on ebay 2 weeks later generally means getting no bids or bids for 50 cents. Ebay is more the last stop for a domain under your stewardship, then the first one (dump on ebay after you gave up on it and it has a month or so left on registration.

•••
odds of you selling this for more than you paid are practically zero. Reging a name then selling it on ebay 2 weeks later generally means getting no bids or bids for 50 cents. Ebay is more the last stop for a domain under your stewardship, then the first one (dump on ebay after you gave up on it and it has a month or so left on registration.

Agree. That definitely will be a tough domain to sell on eBay or anywhere else for that matter.

JB Lions gave you a great breakdown on how to go about it.

Best of luck with your sale!

•••
So is it much harder to sell newly registered domains as opposed to expired/for sale current ones? To be totally honest when I registered the name I had no idea to take traffic, page rank, etc. into account..

•••
Cant agree on this one.
Sold Dozen of domains for 100$-400$ on eBay.
All were regged and a week later sold.
eBay is a quick market for selling for a profit.
ofcourse having the right domain is the most important factor.

•••
Its completely safe to use Ebay but personally I have never seen any domain to be sold there at a good price. Actually its not meant for domains. I have purchased 1-2 names from Ebay too for just few $$. So Its a good place for buyers not for sellers.

•••
Thought about putting a few domains on eBay myself!

•••
Cant agree on this one.
Sold Dozen of domains for 100$-400$ on eBay.
All were regged and a week later sold.
eBay is a quick market for selling for a profit.
ofcourse having the right domain is the most important factor.

Agreed. Pay attention to the types of domains that sell well on there. Also, stay away during the summer months and December, as it is very slow.

•••
I try eBay every so often, with some decent domains, and I'm always disappointed. It's very much a buyer's market there. Only a tiny fraction of listed domains actually sell, and most of the ones that do sell go for low prices that hardly justify the time and money invested.

•••
I noticed there is guy that specializes in selling domains on eBay of famous people. That's an easy way to a lawsuit!

•••
waste of time and money to list

•••
eBay is good to buy domains cheap and sell on sedo. I paid 14.99 buy now on eBay sold for 330 on sedo, 52 on eBay sold for 600 on sedo both within 14 days.

I listed a domain on eBay for $39 starting - no bids, no watchers, I re-listed it for $99 the week after and it sold for 103.50 on ebay 2 bidders, 6 watchers. It comes down to who is looking at the time. I very rarely use eBay to sell.

•••
eBay is good to buy domains cheap and sell on sedo. I paid 14.99 buy now on eBay sold for 330 on sedo, 52 on eBay sold for 600 on sedo both within 14 days.

I listed a domain on eBay for $39 starting - no bids, no watchers, I re-listed it for $99 the week after and it sold for 103.50 on ebay 2 bidders, 6 watchers. It comes down to who is looking at the time. I very rarely use eBay to sell.

That all sounds very interesting indeed. What day of the week did your sale at EBay take place?

•••
Re-listed for $99 Closing bid was 14-Aug-12 Friday $103.50

Listed for $39 First Time Ended 05 Aug, 2012 Wednesday No bids

It comes down to who is looking at what time and who has a use for it I Guess.

•••
Check out bidpalace (dot) com, they are new, but are the cheapest. Only 5% end of auction fee, if you don't sell, you don't pay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back