Dynadot

question Selling domain through registrar marketplace vs Sedo or Dan

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
In case a domain is registered through NameCheap or Sav and a buyer is ready to buy the domain, what is the advantage the buyer is getting by buying it through Sedo or Dan?
Wouldn't it be easier for the buyer to get the domain easily transferred to his account when bought from the same registrar's marketplace where the domain is registered?
Are they getting any additional protection which makes them prefer Sedo or Dan?

And when the value is higher, for example $10k or more, which is recommended/better for the seller as well?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wouldn't it be easier for the buyer to get the domain easily transferred to his account when bought from the same registrar's marketplace where the domain is registered?
Yes, imo.
I would choose Sedo or Dan only if there is a preferred payment option not available on the registar

•••
I recommend escrow.com or direct wire.
Why overpay?

•••
Actual endusers go to registrars, but their own registrars, not yours... So you sell to agents, and agents sell to endusers.

•••
On Dan the advantage would be there is a rent or least to own option. This can especially helpful if the domain is 5 figures.

•••
Actual endusers go to registrars, but their own registrars, not yours... So you sell to agents, and agents sell to endusers.
But how about me setting a landing page for the domain through my registrar? Will the end users bother to check the domain page and buy through that? or would they mostly try searching for the domain name through the domain availability search through their registrar which will just show that the domain name is already registered or not available?
Or even if they see the landing page, would they still prefer to buy the domain through their registrar to keep the domains all under one account or one registrar? (Though they can transfer after 2 months)

•••
I don't know, just guessing, but I know endusers don't always visit landing pages.

•••
In case a domain is registered through NameCheap or Sav and a buyer is ready to buy the domain, what is the advantage the buyer is getting by buying it through Sedo or Dan?
Are they getting any additional protection which makes them prefer Sedo or Dan?

And when the value is higher, for example $10k or more, which is recommended/better for the seller as well.

One advantage of the registrar marketplace such as Namecheap is the timing. They appear to have a standard five day from the sale date to receive the funds. Dan has been noted to generally be much faster than that--one to two days, but it is unclear whether that quick processing will continue. For Sedo, the payout timing is not as clear cut.

In terms of costs of the transaction, Escrow.com really does seem to be generally the better price overall for transactions over 10K. Feel free to checkout the fee calculator, to make the comparison.

Are there other protections that make Sedo or Dan preferable over a registrar transaction? There's quite a bit in the terms of use for each site, so they can certainly read those and decide. For example, each site has a specific terms about how disputes are handled and what fees may be imposed. A buyer might have a preference based on that.

Or even if they see the landing page, would they still prefer to buy the domain through their registrar to keep the domains all under one account or one registrar? (Though they can transfer after 2 months)
Certainly possible. That could be an advantage when using Escrow.com, Dan, or Sedo for the transaction.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back