IT.COM

tips Selling Celebrity Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steph Oracion

Impact
Thanks for adding me admin. I am just new here so I just wanted to ask and clarify something or maybe advise at the same time. So I bought and registered a Celebrity name and I am planning to introduce or sell it to that Celebrity. While I was reading about Cyberlaw, try to check the legalities this article surprised me via Wikipedia:

Anticybersquatting_Consumer_Protection_Act

From what I understand is the name owner has the rights to get the domain from me since the Celebrity is the one whom have the Identification etc. My question is, do I have the rights to sell the domain under my condition since I was the one who registered the name in the first place? Please advise me what is best.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If it is a very generic name then you can get away with selling it since it's not targeting one specific person but if it is a very unique name that is targeting one specific person then that would clearly be a case of cybersquatting.

•••
The pattern goes like namefamilyname.com and this person is like filthy rich in my country. I was not aware before hand that there's a law about this because I use to work for godaddy and this kind of identification are not considered upon register. The real purpose was to buy and sell the domain on a higher cost of course. I am pretty sure that the price that I am asking is just a small amount to pay for. Though I already tried to ask the owner's attention via social media, told him/her the advantages, why he/she needs the name, and what she can do, how it can increase her audience at the same time maintaining her/his brand out there. Definitely for longer term purposes or perhaps lifetime. Am I still considered a cybersquater even if my other intent was to give her/his innovative ideas that will possibly be her/his medium to help others that will serve as an inspiration to people. My problem now is how can I take her/his attention? Though I don't have any plans of blackmailing the person. Is there something that I can on the site or what is the usual drill on this? or should I just wait for the person to decide? or better if I sell this via sedo or flippa?

•••
Like @hookbox said, it depends on how generic the name is like John Doe or John Smith. Other than that, it is a clear indication of cybersquatting. Hence, the reason why people who bought celebrity names like Morgan Freeman and Julia Roberts had to return them to the said celebrities. This is mainly because for celebrities, the name is the brand

•••
Better to invest in more generic domains.

•••
Fan sites are generally OK. That means developing the domain. But monetizing it could start trouble.
Risk of UDRP is high.
In short: buying these names just to resell them is a bad idea.

•••
•••
But what if the name was not registered via Trademark database?

•••
TM rights can be accrued without a registered TM.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back