Dynadot

Selling a .com name to a small business that already has a hyphonated name. Help?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Taylor Hamilton

Established Member
Impact
Hi NamePros!!!!!

I was wondering if a small business would want to buy a domain name that is an exact match of their own, but with no hyphens?

Would it help them in any major way besides helping remember how to spell the name without a hyphen?

Or is this just a bad idea to try to buy the name, and then reach out to them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can a hyphenated name help a business in any way?

•••
Well, depending on the specific name, the target business locale/language and the TM situation, this could well mean a quick sale in the mid $xxx to low $xxxx range, or an UDRP claim against you (unlikely, but possible) :sneaky:

Last edited:
•••
•••
TopShelf Domains, HKIBC

Thank you both very much! I may have made a mistake with this one. I ended up buying the name to see if I can try to make a sale. But the hyphen points to a geographical location like TopShelf Domains said ^^

Here is the website: http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/

And the name I bought is www.hobbyworldusa.com

I'm still going to attempt to email the owner and make a sale but if not this is a good lesson to learn.

Last edited:
•••
You do realise that 'hobby world' is a registered trademark, right?

upload_2016-12-20_7-38-2.png

•••
I swear I looked that up. I don't know what website I was using but it didn't show up. Anyways thank you.

What website can I look up trademarks on?

Thank you again and lesson learned.

•••
Hopefully someday I learn how to do this.

•••
•••
You are right @TopShelf Domains in France we prefer hyphens :)
pole-emploi.fr, credit-agricole.fr ...

Last edited:
•••
This is a typical domainer TM situation:
  • name is TM
  • only one 'obvious' end user
  • can't really be used by any other company
If you are buying a name with only one end user in mind, you probably are doing it wrong.

•••
Technically, any name that was not registered during the Sunrise Period is open to others. If they did not register the domain in those 60 days, then you shouldn't worry too much. Not sure if it works the same with .com, but other gTLDs it works this way.

•••
Technically, any name that was not registered during the Sunrise Period is open to others. If they did not register the domain in those 60 days, then you shouldn't worry too much. Not sure if it works the same with .com, but other gTLDs it works this way.

FALSE.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back