Domain Empire

See article in newspaper / use it / credit source - legal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
so, you see a great article in your local newspaper...

can you "digitize" it, add it to your site WITH credit to the author and the newspaper?

curious.

THANKS,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
jberryhill said:
Not sure why, but that made me laugh.

So jberry....what your saying is that it's not like a term paper.
:hehe:

•••
To cover your bases, you will have to get permission from the company that put out the ad and the newspaper it was published in. It may be easier to just bypass the newspaper, go right to the company that put out the ad and ask for permission. My guess is that they will give it to you since it just means more visibility and PR for their company.

•••
Thanks for the repsonses everyone.

If I decide I like it enough, I will contact the author and see what she says/thinks.

Thanks again.

•••
I will contact the author

...who, in these circumstances, is unlikely to be the copyright owner....

•••
jberryhill said:
...who, in these circumstances, is unlikely to be the copyright owner....
He can contact the owner or the company that put out the ad. They should be able to give him a reproduction of the advertisement. Of course, if they were to just hand you a newspaper clipping, you would still have to get the newspaper's permission because it is their copyright.

•••
Thanks again,

I JUST checked, the article is ALSO on the newspaper's website.

Does this HELP or HURT or MAKES NO DIFFERENCE - no is no :)

BTW: I can quote from the article - correct (WITH SOURCE IDENTIFIED)

I know if I'm writing a story/academic paper, I can quote to my heart's delight if I NAME the source.

So, maybe I should write a "story" and takes some "juicy bits" from this story. :stupid idea: ?

Thanks,
Mike

•••
That isn't a bad idea to just quote from the story as long as you are giving credit to the source. It also doesn't hurt to put a link to their webpage where the whole ad can be seen.

•••
I think I might do that... seems fair and LEGAL and workable, my main priorities.

Thanks,
Mike

•••
If RSS feeds are Legal, why isnt what the guy suggests legal????????

•••
If RSS feeds are Legal, why isnt what the guy suggests legal????????

Are you serious?

You, as a copyright owner, can give the world permission to copy anything you write, if you want to do that. If you make an RSS feed available, then it's obviously your permission for others to syndicate your feed.

Nobody who publishes a newspaper says, "Here, copy this on your website."

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back