Dynadot

advice Sedo self verification

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doofer

Top Member
Impact
Trying to add domains to Sedo which are reg'd at Godaddy but have name servers for Dan.com. Sedo can't automatically verify ownership.

It says to enter Sedo verification ID into TXT settings of Godaddys DNS settings !? Maybe i'm being thick but I can't find any mention of TXT settings on my Godaddy pages ? Do they mean change the server names to the Sedo ID code ? Perhaps if I change the server names back to Godaddys default settings temporarily they may be able to auto verify then change them back to Dans afterwards !?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, what a pain in the butt Sedo is.

I have names listed at Dan and Afternic, and two years ago had Sedo deactivate my account because their system is so horrible to use in so many ways (and they are so politically correct about allowed names). Sedo had only accounted for at the most 5% of my sales anyway, Afternic and Dan vastly outperforming.

But I thought I would give Sedo a shot again. I just created a new account this morning. And even this was a pain as well: multiple phone calls since I had ask to cancel the account before...

With the account created, I went to enter one name as a test. I then got an email that said I needed to do the verification bit. And then I ran into the issue everyone else has on here: my names already have nameservers set up at Dan or Afternic. Sure, I could do the techniques mentioned in this thread to get this one verified, but I have 4,500 domain names and I cannot imagine dealing with verifying them all. It's just too much work for such poor sales results.

So my enthusiasm for using Sedo again was extremely short-lived.

•••
The only successful way is to point dns or spend forever trying. They will stay after you move dns again just not work as landers.

•••
Changing the text records before you set the landing pages always works for me. Within a few hours, the domains are listed in my account and no longer show as pending verification.

If you already have the name servers set and they aren't new domains to you, then it is much more of a pain. But if it is a domain that is new to my account, the text message verification works every time without issue. Like Bob mentioned above, the number I add is never much more than 20/month, so this manual method is OK for me.

95% of my sales are from Dan and Afternic, so I only keep doing Sedo out of habit at this point.

•••
95% of my sales are from Dan and Afternic, so I only keep doing Sedo out of habit at this point.
I'm curious about this, since this was my experience as well. And 5% is not really enough for me to want to maintain names at yet another broker.

I have my names listed at Afternic and DAN with BIN pricing. The nameservers point to DAN. I've priced my names 10% higher at Afternic (commissions cost). What is your set up, if you don't mind me asking.

Note: interestingly, while my domain names resolve to a Dan sales page, most people will buy it at Afternic at 10% higher. LOL. I don't get it. My only thought is that most people never key the URL into a browser's address bar (!), and simply try to register it at Godaddy or one of it's affiliates. I don't know what else would explain this.

•••
I'm curious about this, since this was my experience as well. And 5% is not really enough for me to want to maintain names at yet another broker.

I have my names listed at Afternic and DAN with BIN pricing. The nameservers point to DAN. I've priced my names 10% higher at Afternic (commissions cost). What is your set up, if you don't mind me asking.

Note: interestingly, while my domain names resolve to a Dan sales page, most people will buy it at Afternic at 10% higher. LOL. I don't get it. My only thought is that most people never key the URL into a browser's address bar (!), and simply try to register it at Godaddy or one of it's affiliates. I don't know what else would explain this.

My situation is similar, but reversed. I have 95% of my landers at Afternic and about 5+% at Dan. Both with BIN pricing. I also add everything to Sedo and GoDaddy as make offer. I keep the price the same between Dan and Afternic. I assume the AN commission and if it goes through DAN instead, it's a bonus. I also have about 40 domains at brandbucket and 30 more at squadhelp.

I prefer DAN because of payment plans, visit tracking and the site in general, but they can't compete with the numbers that AN landers give me. Hopefully AN will expand beyond the payment options that they have and start giving us visit analytics.

At this point, it only takes a few minutes more a month to put everything on Sedo and Godaddy in addition to AN and DAN, so I'll probably keep doing it. I do get offers and follow-up from the GoDaddy listings.

•••
My situation is similar, but reversed. I have 95% of my landers at Afternic and about 5+% at Dan. Both with BIN pricing. I also add everything to Sedo and GoDaddy as make offer. I keep the price the same between Dan and Afternic. I assume the AN commission and if it goes through DAN instead, it's a bonus. I also have about 40 domains at brandbucket and 30 more at squadhelp.

Thanks for sharing your setup.

I'd thought about trying a switching my Dan landers to Afternic to see what the difference would be. But I don't see anything better about the Afternic lander over Dan's. It's definitely less flexible.

How are you listing the names at Godaddy? As a Godaddy Auction listing? I've never done anything at Godaddy to list a name outside of listing it at Afternic.

Edit to add: And if I list at Godaddy for Make Offer and at Afternic for BIN, which gets shown at Godaddy when someone tries to buy a name that I have listed?

Last edited:
•••
But this is most important tip. Enter the Sedo txt verification BEFORE you list them on Sedo. When I do them after they sometimes take long but when done before they almost always verify in minutes.

I confirm, just did it with 2 domains:

Domain Nr. 1: added into SEDO --> changed Registrar's DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code --> 1 hour --> still "pending verification"

Domain Nr. 2: changed Registrar's DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code --> added domain to SEDO --> 5 minutes --> "Verified"

Thank you Bob, you saved me a lot of stress!

•••
I confirm, just did it with 2 domains:

Domain Nr. 1: added into SEDO --> changed Registrar's DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code --> 1 hour --> still "pending verification"

Domain Nr. 2: changed Registrar's DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code --> added domain to SEDO --> 5 minutes --> "Verified"
Addendum

One of my registrars doesn't allow to bulk change the DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code,
but it allows to bulk change the Nameservers,

so I went with the option of changing Nameservers, using
NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM
NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM

It worked, but most importantly, using this option too applies the best practice: first change Nameservers at the registrars, and then add the domains at Sedo.
The process will flow more smoothly.

A final note, for the newbies like me:
While the Nameservers at the registrars point at Sedo, the domains are not visible anymore as parked at the registrar,
but after the domains are ownership-verified at Sedo, Sedo doesn't need anymore the Nameservers pointed at it,
so now you can cancel Sedo Nameservers in the registrar's DNS settings and your domains are visibly-parked again at the registrar.

Last edited:
•••
Addendum

One of my registrars doesn't allow to bulk change the DNS settings inserting Sedo TXT verification code,
but it allows to bulk change the Nameservers,
Which registrar was this? The ease of doing bulk changes may be a factor for some in choosing one registrar over another.

Congrats, BTW, on successfully doing the listings!

•••
Which registrar was this? The ease of doing bulk changes may be a factor for some in choosing one registrar over another.

Congrats, BTW, on successfully doing the listings!
Thanks LCD
your inquiry about the registrar's name is very understandable but as someone who has just landed on the domain investors planet, at the moment I prefer to be very cautious i.e. to avoid saying anything negative about anything :xf.smile:

Let's put it - positively - this way: among Dynadot, Namecheap, Porkbun and GoDaddy, until now Dynadot is - by far - my favourite registrar.
I find them particularly domain investors friendly because they offer:
- domain testing,
- bulk changes in the DNS settings,
- streamlined process for canceling/removing domains from account, without having to contact the support and with email confirming the cancellation,
- support online chat,
- domains new registrations price,
- integration with both Sedo and GoDaddy Market Networks.

•••
Back