IT.COM

Sedo Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mystic

Account Closed
Impact
I have noticed two posts, One on here and one on DNF with members mentioning somebody submitting an offer for a website then asking for access to "back-office".

Got an offer from a person through Sedo for one of my sites. Here is the comment they left with the offer.

"Hello! Could we have access a short moment to the back-office of your site because we would like to know if it is "easy" to modify the contents of the internal pages? Thank you!"

It is a HTML site. How hard is it to modify? I kind of smell something fishy but then again, I am suspicious by nature. Is this common?

DNF/showthread.php?t=119853

i got a sedo offer in my inbox today for one of my domains, but i know that its fake

the buyer wants "short term" access to the "back office" of my site to see if the internal pages are easily accessible...but the thing is that while my domain is not parked at Sedo, there is no website at that domain, i have yet to upload the files .....so all you see is the content directory...

Source

Im not sure what these people would get out of access, Maybe uploading trojans, uploading spam scripts or stealing content but Beware...

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the heads-up, Paul !

•••
That very well could be the case,I would never let anyone have access to any of my Cpanels on FTP,No Reason to.Thanks for the heads up Mystic :)

•••
Scams.. Everywhere lol.. I was just waiting for it to start at Sedo.

Next it will be people emailing you from whois (or phoning) and asking to see if they can see your domain control panel. LOL
Of course there will be some people say. Yah sure have access to transfer my domains from my account!!

Dumb People and Scammers at really.. Um.. lol.. I will find a word and post it later on.

iNod.

•••
In todays tightening economy, expect more scams to almost everywhere, whatever

•••
•••
they are up to no good for sure!:(

•••
Yeah, I'm getting sick and tired of all the scams these days. I don't see why people are so rude, there is no need. Like I seen on Maury today "why doesn't she just get a 9 to 5."

•••
I got an email from a "dr" asking me how much i wanted for my domain and he said please don't say make an offer. The email seemed odd to me, its probably a scam.

•••
Yep. It is a scam. He will ask you to get an appraisal and give you a list of three places. His name is something like Dr. Paul PHD or something.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back