IT.COM

Sedo Scam warning!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Redleg

Ultima Ratio RegumVIP Member
Impact
SEDO Scam Warning!

Today was the third time (in a couple of weeks) I have found some of my own domains listed for sale on Sedo by others...
Sedo has been notified about this, and the listings removed.

One of the domains was actually listed there before I regged it (it has not been regged before!!!!)

Any others who has experienced this lately?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There will always be people who will try scams like this, but i dont think it will work, am relitivley new to sedo but as i understand it sedo wont release any funds to this person until its confirmed that the whois has been updated with the buyers details and the domain has been tranfsered.. ?

And you cant transfer the domian without having the owner of the domain confirming the transfer i.e you.. ?

Ok i do know a few ways to hijack domains but this is a dif type of case especially when the domain isnt even register yet!

It is good to know that sedo take this sort of thing serious! Guess you just got to keep an eye open..

-=BP=-

•••
Originally posted by Redleg
One of the domains was actually listed there before I regged it (it has not been regged before!!!!)

How can you tell it's not been registered before? Are you sure these are scammers and not old domains that have expired and dropped since the last owners listed them on Sedo?

•••
-RJ- has a point there, you might need to do some research to determine if it is true or not.

•••
Its not a scam... I experienced it twice since i started using Sedo (and it was few months ago). Its pretty simple. Previous owner of a domain "forgets" to remove it from his Sedo list, and you have to report it to Sedo support.
Since we all are in "catching business", and since there is only few respectable brokers (only Sedo and Afternic) it is very likely to happen that some domains will stay listed on Sedo after they drop. I was thinking it was a scam too, but its not. Its pretty simple explanation...
BTW, you cannot sell domain that way, because Sedo needs confirmation that domain was transferred before they give you money. And since you haven't control over it anymore, you cannot scam anybody that way...

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm pretty sure that one of the names wasn't regged before, but it's a .ws so I can't find any way to check this.

One of the others was listed in SEDO after I registered it, so I'm sure that's not an old listing.

I have encountered "old" SEDO listings several times before, but I'm 95% sure that at least these two weren't that..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back