NameSilo

Sedo helps flippers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

topdom

Top Member
Impact
We are "scammed" via sales to flippers all the time, because Sedo makes our data almost public, but hides buyer data even after sale is fully complete. Why do it: to hide actual buyers, to prevent us from realizing that the bidder was not the buyer but someone who plays both sides? If so, how does Sedo benefit from it: it only means less profit for Sedo, unless Sedo itself is the flipper. How can I know whether the same flipper is scamming me all the time, while he hides behind anonimty provided by Sedo. And if I accept a low price once, he will never make fair offers.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Daaz does this also. I do think it’s an unnecessary bit of data that can hurt some sellers due to outdated connotations so both should remove it

However flipping is legit. You should only sell at a price you want, doesn’t matter who the buyer is

Flipping is legit.. if we mean legal, probably yes, ..

If there is an abuse of power, then flipping would be unethical. It can be worse than shillbidding. For example let's say I caught a domain with my own dropcathcer, and then started an auction, and shillbid as a fake user to make sure selling price is high enough. It is unethical, yes, but it is not very unethical, because selling price can remain very low, and I could keep the domain for myself from the beginning.

..I mean it is not as unethical as this situation: a big registrar getting a lead from a very big company, and instead of informing me, lowball at Sedo to secure a very low buying price, while at the same time free to shoot to the moon at the other end. Because, if such things happen all the time, either I as a seller, can only sell for very low prices, or never be able to sell...if I'm victim to such scenario, who can I blame, can I blame the flipper, no because I agreed to sell, or the bidder doesn't have to place a reasonable bid.

Let's say I'm working somewhere, which is normally a safe place, because the door is closed, but the person who controls the door keeps it open , and someone enters and shoot me, who am I supposed to blame. Saying, don't sell low then, is like saying, protect yourself by wearing bulletproof stuff.

Last edited:
•••
Why do hugedomains, domainmarket, buydomains, sell at their own site, and require personal info before showing the price, instead of selling at AN or Sedo...It makes a difference whether I know all domains I sold for 100 were sold to the same person, or not.
I sold a .biz domain for a strange low price. And later got offer for another .biz domain in the exact same strange amount. So it looks like buyers were the same, and he knows me and I don't know him. He thinks he can buy domains from me for cheap, but I have no idea who the hell he is. Totally unfair, and also bad for Sedo (unless sedo itself is a flipper).

Maybe the solution is, if we want to park at Sedo, park inside a frame, and outside that frame track visits. Or make a redirect and track before redirect. Why do we park at places like Sedo: to be able to sell fast and for good price. But all marketplaces (at least big ones) seem to be trying to prevent good sales (on seller side)....

Plus , buyers "buy" and don't pay at Sedo, and get away with it, and meanwhile they learn our name and address. It is blocked by gdpr, but enabled by Sedo. Our address is real, theirs is fake, so if we learn their info it doesn't help.
I'm not a Sedo hater but let me mention other mistakes of Sedo. There is an unknown 40 USD additional fee for wire transfer (maybe not for everyone, so if the cost is 18 you will pay 58 (if you ask me, where that 40 comes from,.. I'm not saying it is not legitimate,..previously minimum commission was 60 , now, it is 20, the difference: 40, so maybe the minimum commission is still 60 in case of wire) (not a big deal..)*), contact form on their web site doesn't work, and more importantly, they randomly remove generic domains because of trademarks, or unexplainable 3rd party conflicts. and remove domains which have been verified and didn't drop or change hands because of not being able to verify them.

All marketplaces suck in one or more ways, bigger ones do more. Dan only works with newest browsers. AN is a big blackbox, no hints given, no communication. AN and GD pretend to be different companies, and this hurts sellers, because endusers go to GD, domainers go to AN,
so price requests are probaly not done by actual endusers, and endusers probably won't be informed instantly when prices are set.

But once payment is made, all work almost perfectly..edit: Noone steals money this way, only Paypal does (by closing accounts, making transfer impossible, and ignoring messages).

edit:* if sales are combined before payment, then this amount domain drops per domain, so it is not a hidden commission and it might be needed for some processing. But it is something which makes wire cost look fat.

Last edited:
•••
How "flipping" is scamming and registering a domain to sell it is not scamming?
If flipping is scamming, then every domainer not intending to develop the domain is a scammer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back