Domain Empire

information Sedo commision

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

D Haynes

Top Member
Impact
Can anyone advise me on Sedo's commission rates. I sold a domain in their great domain auction and they're charging me 36 percent commission even though they say it's 15 percent that they take. I've never had this issue with them before (but have had many others), so maybe I'm just missing something. When I asked customer services they told me to ask the transfer agent, then when I asked said agent they gave me a generic answer, spouting something about VAT that made no sense, and that I'd get an invoice when the sale was complete. I've asked for an itemised invoice before I push the domain but have had no response since. In my world invoices come before payment and receipts come after. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Is this not due to Sedo charging you the minimum $60 commission?

•••
What was the sale price?
How much did they take out?
Are you and / or the buyer in the EU and subject to VAT?

•••
£151 was the sale price and they took 54 (35%). I'm in the UK and when their support finally got back to me they said I have to pay VAT but surely that's only 20% of the 15% commission? The comission is the payment for the service they provide therefore VAT is applicable to that fee but not the final sale price. The buyer would pay VAT on that maybe. I've never been charged any more than 15% on any other sale there.

•••
Is this not due to Sedo charging you the minimum $60 commission?
£54 is about $70 though I think. The sales page says they take 15% on auction sales.

•••
•••
•••
i believe they charge 15% or min fee of $60 + VAT if you are in EU.

•••
I sold one for £64 I recieved £13

•••
•••
It is a disgrace never again..

•••
Yeah I've already stopped all my parking with them and will soon be unlisting my domains there. There's no room for the little guy (me) to turn a profit.

•••
Oh right ok maybe your right but it doesn't tell you that on the sales page. It just says 15%. Might try to fight it on the grounds that it's misleading. Hmmmm...

VAT is only applicable for EU people.

I sold domains and they took only 15% (or 10%) according to the sales type.

leave this case here and move forward. IMO.

•••
Yeah maybe your right. We'll thanks all for the advice and your time it's much appreciated. SHABBA! (to be said like MR Loverman himself, Shabba Ranks).

•••
I like Sedo, but the fact that they take a minimum of $60 for commission makes them pretty terrible for any sales under a couple hundred dollars.

•••
I like Sedo, but the fact that they take a minimum of $60 for commission makes them pretty terrible for any sales under a couple hundred dollars.
I'd say it makes them unusable for those of us looking to turn a quick few bucks on a name, which is probably most domainers (we're not all turning hundreds of proffit on every sale). Their pricing system is grossly out of sync with the little guys pocket. I guess in the end it's all a gamble. You either pay money in the hope the extra exposure gets you a bigger sale or save your money in the hope of a private sale and more net proffit. I like site like domainlore. They only have 10-30 domains being auctioned at one time so your pretty much certain that all visitors will see your listing and they only charge 10% commission. But they only do .UK domains and obviously don't get near the visitors the big guys get. It's just business 101 really. And so the world continues to spin.

•••
Also be careful, some TLD extensions are subject to a higher commission, if I'm not mistaken.

Was it the $60 minimum that got you, then?

•••
Yeah I'm guessing so. Plus VAT because I'm British apparently. Knew I should have been Asian. At least id have been good at maths then and could have worked out the commission.

•••
•••
how long to wait to get money ?
my domain was sold
and after upload invoice, idk what must i do...
idk how to transfer my domain to buyer...

•••
Yeah I've already stopped all my parking with them and will soon be unlisting my domains there. There's no room for the little guy (me) to turn a profit.
Yeah, sedo is very bad for parking.i cant agree more of it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back