Dynadot

discuss Science & Technology news & discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CraigD

Top Member
Impact
Post and discuss interesting articles & videos about science and technology.

You don't need to be an expert - just interested in the wonders of modern science, technology, and the history of these fields.

Please keep it rational, and post articles from reputable sources.
Try not to editorialise headlines and keep the copy to just a paragraph with a link to the original source. When quoting excerpts from articles, I think the best method is to italicise the copy, and include a link to the source.

Have some fun with your comments and discussions... just keep the sources legitimate.

Other threads:
The Break Room has a number of other popular threads, so there is no need to post material here that is better suited to these other threads:

- Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news
- Conspiracy Thread Free For All
- The *religious* discussion thread

Please enjoy!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lions use yawns to signal to others that it’s time to get moving

Lions have contagious yawns, and they seem to use the open-mouthed behaviour to send signals to each other. The observation provides the first concrete evidence that yawning can synchronise behaviour in an animal species.

Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to the article.

What is it with contagious yawning?

Here's some info from Wikipedia:

There are a number of theories that attempt to explain why humans and other animals yawn.[9][10][11]

One study states that yawning occurs when one's blood contains increased amounts of carbon dioxide and therefore becomes in need of the influx of oxygen (or expulsion of carbon dioxide) that a yawn can provide.[9] Yawning may reduce oxygen intake compared to normal respiration;[12] however, the frequency of yawning is not decreased by providing more oxygen or reducing carbon dioxide in the air.[13]

Animals subject to predation or other dangers must be ready to physically exert themselves at any given moment. At least one study suggests that yawning, especially psychological "contagious" yawning, may have developed as a way of keeping a group of animals alert.[14] If an animal is drowsy or bored, it will be less alert than when fully awake and less prepared to spring into action. "Contagious" yawning could be an instinctual signal between group members to stay alert.

Nervousness, which often indicates the perception of an impending need for action, has also been suggested as a cause. Anecdotal evidence suggests that yawning helps increase a person's alertness. Paratroopers have been noted to yawn during the moments before they exit their aircraft [15] and athletes often yawn just before intense exertions.

Another notion states that yawning is the body's way of controlling brain temperature.[16][17] In 2007, researchers, including a professor of psychology from the SUNY Albany, proposed yawning may be a means to keep the brain cool. Mammalian brains operate best within a narrow temperature range. In two experiments, subjects with cold packs attached to their foreheads and subjects asked to breathe strictly-nasally exhibited reduced contagious-yawning when watching videos of people yawning.[16][18] A similar hypothesis suggests yawning is used for regulation of body temperature. Similarly, Guttmann and Dopart (2011) found that when a subject wearing earplugs yawns, the air moving between the subject's ear and the environment causes a breeze to be heard.[19] Guttmann and Dopart determined that a yawn causes one of three possible situations to occur: the brain cools down due to an influx or outflux of oxygen; pressure in the brain is reduced by an outflux of oxygen; or the pressure of the brain is increased by an influx of air caused by increased cranial space.

Yawning behavior may be altered as a result of medical issues such as diabetes,[20] stroke,[21] or adrenal conditions.[22] Excessive yawning is seen in immunosuppressed patients such as those with multiple sclerosis.[23] A professor of clinical and forensic neuropsychology at Bournemouth University has demonstrated that cortisol levels rise during yawning.[24][25]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawn

Last edited:
•••
Cooking a chicken by slapping it repeatedly.( Kinetic energy converted to Heat)

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
How to hypnotize chickens

Fun fact:

Chicken are descendants of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Try doing this with a T-Rex.

Last edited:
•••
NUS researchers harness AI to identify cancer cells by their acidity

Healthy and cancer cells can look similar under a microscope. One way of differentiating them is by examining the level of acidity, or pH level, inside the cells.

Tapping on this distinguishing characteristic, a research team from the National University of Singapore (NUS) has developed a technique that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to determine whether a single cell is healthy or cancerous by analysing its pH. Each cancer test can be completed in under 35 minutes, and single cells can be classified with an accuracy rate of more than 95 per cent.

The research, led by Professor Lim Chwee Teck, Director of the Institute for Health Innovation & Technology (iHealthtech) at NUS, was first published in the journal APL Bioengineering on 16 March 2021.
1920_ihealthtech-infographic-v6.jpg

“The ability to analyse single cells is one of the holy grails of health innovation for precision medicine or personalised therapy. Our proof-of-concept study demonstrates the potential of our technique to be used as a fast, inexpensive and accurate tool for cancer diagnosis,” said Prof Lim, who is also from the NUS Department of Biomedical Engineering.

•••
Paleopharmaceuticals from Baltic amber might fight drug-resistant infections

For centuries, people in Baltic nations have used ancient amber for medicinal purposes. Even today, infants are given amber necklaces that they chew to relieve teething pain, and people put pulverized amber in elixirs and ointments for its purported anti-inflammatory and anti-infective properties. Now, scientists have pinpointed compounds that help explain Baltic amber's therapeutic effects and that could lead to new medicines to combat antibiotic-resistant infections.

paleopharmac.jpg

The researchers will present their results today at the spring meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).

Ambrose and graduate student Connor McDermott, who are at the University of Minnesota, analyzed commercially available Baltic amber samples, in addition to some that Ambrose had collected. "One major challenge was preparing a homogeneous fine powder from the amber pebbles that could be extracted with solvents," McDermott explains. He used a tabletop jar rolling mill, in which the jar is filled with ceramic beads and amber pebbles and rotated on its side. Through trial and error, he determined the correct ratio of beads to pebbles to yield a semi-fine powder. Then, using various combinations of solvents and techniques, he filtered, concentrated and analyzed the amber powder extracts by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS).

Dozens of compounds were identified from the GC-MS spectra. The most interesting were abietic acid, dehydroabietic acid and palustric acid—20-carbon, three-ringed organic compounds with known biological activity. Because these compounds are difficult to purify, the researchers bought pure samples and sent them to a company that tested their activity against nine bacterial species, some of which are known to be antibiotic resistant.

•••
Listening to Nature Gives You a Real Rocky Mountain High

Sounds like birdsong and flowing water may alleviate stress, help lower blood pressure and lead to feelings of tranquility

To find out, Buxton and colleagues from six universities and the National Park Service did a statistical analysis of some three dozen past studies exploring the measurable health benefits of natural sound. Though the goals and methods of the analyzed studies varied widely, some common themes emerged—the various groups exposed to natural sound saw a 184 percent improvement in overall health outcomes. Buxton’s research, published in March in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, presents evidence that pleasant natural sounds can help lower blood pressure, improve cognitive performance and even reduce pain. “Typical natural sounds that we consider pleasant are having health benefits for us,” says Buxton, a professor at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada. “I think that’s a really powerful message,”

gettyimages-168346757_web.jpg

To explore the possible health benefits of natural sound, the team analyzed more than a decade’s worth of studies, conducted around the world, with a wide range of methods. Some researchers had measured outcomes linked to human health like blood pressure, heart rate and the stress hormone cortisol. Other scientists had studied reactions to sound that may impact health for good or ill—including feelings of annoyance or tranquility, awareness, relaxation and cognitive function.

Each study investigated the impacts that certain natural sounds had on subjects, and the intriguing results varied widely. A Swedish group, for instance, found that humans in virtual nature environments, complete with sounds, recovered better from stress than those in the same surroundings without sound. A team of Iranian scientists found that ICU patients on ventilators reported less pain when they listened to natural sounds via headphones.

•••
Cooking a chicken by slapping it repeatedly.( Kinetic energy converted to Heat)

Who needs fire? :chicken:

Brilliant!
Old news :xf.grin:

“Attila’s (A.D. 406 – 453) men (the Huns) ate raw lean meat cuts which being placed under their saddles were tenderized for as long as a day’s ride.”

The Huns rode continuosly for weeks without stopping, eating over their horses while riding. They didn't stop for eating, gaining time doing this. After all day riding over the meat, it was "cooked" enough to be eated without having to stop for cooking and eat.

Last edited:
•••
Old news :xf.grin:

“Attila’s (A.D. 406 – 453) men (the Huns) ate raw lean meat cuts which being placed under their saddles were tenderized for as long as a day’s ride.”

The Huns rode continuosly for weeks without stopping, eating over their horses while riding. They didn't stop for eating, gaining time doing this. After all day riding over the meat, it was "cooked" enough to be eated without having to stop for cooking and eat.

Ever had "road chicken"? It wasn't uncommon back in the day to cook meat atop a motorcycle manifold. I used this method many times travelling in my ol' air-cooled VW bus, for freshly caught fish, partridge or potatoes wrapped in tinfoil. Turn over once, then after an hour or so of driving, I'd take a break and grub down, lol. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Ever had "road chicken"? It wasn't uncommon back in the day to cook meat atop a motorcycle manifold. I used this method many times travelling in my ol' air-cooled VW bus, for freshly caught fish, partridge or potatoes wrapped in tinfoil. Turn over once, then after an hour or so of driving, I'd take a break and grub down, lol. :xf.wink:

Road kill?

It's possible down under to cook eggs on a car bonnet on a hot sunny day.

Not so great to clean up after however.

Last edited:
•••
Road kill?
Literally killing two birds with one stone... and eating it.
It's possible down under to cook eggs on a car bonnet on a hot sunny day.

Not so great to clean up after however.

Not road kill, there's really not much left to eat, lol. I hit a deer last year and only half could be eaten, adrenaline set in fast spoiling the bruised side. A beautiful 6 point buck, jumped out in front of me on a dark night in the rain. Car got written off which sucked, 'cuz I had just got it fixed.

I imagine it can get pretty hot down-under, but don't cook eggs on the car bonnet (hood), lol, it really messes up the paint. :xf.wink:

•••
Not road kill, there's really not much left to eat, lol. I hit a deer last year and only half could be eaten, adrenaline set in fast spoiling the bruised side. A beautiful 6 point buck, jumped out in front of me on a dark night in the rain. Car got written off which sucked, 'cuz I had just got it fixed.

I imagine it can get pretty hot down-under, but don't cook eggs on the car bonnet (hood), lol, it really messes up the paint. :xf.wink:

When you say '6 point buck' does that mean how many points you score for hitting it?

•••
•••
When you say '6 point buck' does that mean how many points you score for hitting it?

I count 6 point as the number of points on each antler. They grow one point every year. Some hunters call it differently, this buck was actually 12 point by some reckoning.

iu

Unfortunately, he was in his prime and would've been a real stud during the rut. Top class!
I gave offerings to his spirit :xf.love:

Last edited:
•••
I count 6 point as the number of points on each antler. They grow one point every year. Some hunters call it differently, this buck was actually 12 point by some reckoning.

iu

Unfortunately, he was in his prime and would've been a real stud during the rut.
What a nice animal... and they are tough, for the videos I have seen of them jumping into some buses and hitting some cars, and then keep running like nothing happened... Your car must be a good one :xf.smile:

•••
What a nice animal... and they are tough, for the videos I have seen of them jumping into some buses and hitting some cars, and then keep running like nothing happened... Your car must be a good one :xf.smile:

Kangaroos invading the race track.

•••
Kangaroos invading the race track.

Yes, those are also tough ones! (y) That one was very close to be hitted by the way... he was lucky... and fast!

•••

They usually cause alot alot of damage to the car, esp newer cars, mostly plastic. Moose are worse, twice the size! Buck glanced the driver front side...could've been much worse had I been driving faster, but due to road conditions I was doing only 50kph. Nobody got hurt. I'm just thankful I wasn't driving my 40 year old classic sports car! I use it for road rallies like Targa Nfld. I believe they also race Targa in Tasmania.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, those are also tough ones! (y) That one was very close to be hitted by the way... he was lucky... and fast!

Those roos were relatively small. It's the big Red roos that do the damage.

I imagine it's the same with bucks when they go through the windscreen.

They are a threat to traffic at dawn and dusk when they are most active. You will often see kangaroo crossing signs in certain places where they cause accidents.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Marine species flee the equator

Warming waters are triggering a mass exodus of marine creatures from the tropics.

A new global study reveals that the biodiversity of marine species around the equator has dropped, as warming seas force tropical species south into already faltering ecosystems.

The research team, led by the University of Auckland in collaboration with the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC), the University of Queensland and CSIRO, examined the distribution data of 48,661 marine species since 1955.

Diverse-fish-species.-Credit-Andrew-Olds-850x.jpg

The alarming results, published in the journal PNAS, confirm that climate change is impacting species diversity across latitudes, with the number of species levelling off or declining at latitudes with average sea surface temperatures exceeding 20°C.

According to Professor David Schoeman, co-author of the study from USC, species attached to the seafloor like corals, oysters and seaweeds have not declined but free-swimming species like fish have dropped significantly.

“The decrease in numbers of species at the equator doesn’t mean that sea life is becoming extinct from the planet,” he says. “Instead, it means extirpation, or local loss of those species.”

The findings suggest that rising sea temperatures are already making tropical ecosystems too hot to some species to survive – so they move south, where historically cooler subtropical waters are also warming.

•••
Flight tests 3D printing's potential to repair forward deployed jets

Saab has flown a 3D-printed replacement part on the exterior of a Gripen fighter jet for the first time. The test flight over the company's facility at Linköping, Sweden, on March 19, 2021, potentially paves the way for 3D-printed parts to be used to make battlefield repairs.

Not surprisingly, one of the biggest and most constant problems is how to keep combat aircraft flying from forward operating bases by ensuring they have enough spare parts to fix battle damage or inevitable wear and tear. This isn't always possible, so mechanics are often reduced to improvising or stealing parts from several aircraft to keep one flying.

To address this problem, Saab and the AMEXCI consortium have been working since 2018 on the Battlefield Damage Repair project, which uses 3D printing technology as a way to quickly produce spares in the field so an aircraft can either complete its mission or fly back to a maintenance base for more extensive repairs.

For the recent test, a maintenance hatch on the exterior of the fuselage was replaced with a 3D-printed version. Because there wasn't a digital model for the component, a bespoke scan had to be made before the part was printed out of PA2200 nylon, which is a high-end, high-strength polymer that is not only inexpensive, but chemical and UV resistant. By scanning the part, it was possible to produce a copy that fit exactly like the original for that individual airframe.

Last edited:
•••
Flight tests 3D printing's potential to repair forward deployed jets

Saab has flown a 3D-printed replacement part on the exterior of a Gripen fighter jet for the first time. The test flight over the company's facility at Linköping, Sweden, on March 19, 2021, potentially paves the way for 3D-printed parts to be used to make battlefield repairs.

Not surprisingly, one of the biggest and most constant problems is how to keep combat aircraft flying from forward operating bases by ensuring they have enough spare parts to fix battle damage or inevitable wear and tear. This isn't always possible, so mechanics are often reduced to improvising or stealing parts from several aircraft to keep one flying.

To address this problem, Saab and the AMEXCI consortium have been working since 2018 on the Battlefield Damage Repair project, which uses 3D printing technology as a way to quickly produce spares in the field so an aircraft can either complete its mission or fly back to a maintenance base for more extensive repairs.

For the recent test, a maintenance hatch on the exterior of the fuselage was replaced with a 3D-printed version. Because there wasn't a digital model for the component, a bespoke scan had to be made before the part was printed out of PA2200 nylon, which is a high-end, high-strength polymer that is not only inexpensive, but chemical and UV resistant. By scanning the part, it was possible to produce a copy that fit exactly like the original for that individual airframe.

I'm a big fan of the Swedish Saab aircraft.

My favourites were the Viggen and the Draken:

Saab 35 Draken

450px-J_35F_1972.jpg

The Saab 35 Draken (IPA: [²drɑːkɛn]; 'The Kite' or 'The Dragon') is a Swedish fighter aircraft developed and manufactured by Saab between 1955 and 1974. It was the first fully supersonic aircraft to be deployed in Western Europe[3] and the first known aircraft to do the Cobra maneuver.

The Draken was developed during the 1940s and 1950s to replace Sweden's first generation of jet-powered fighter aircraft, the Saab J 29 Tunnan and, later, the fighter variant (J 32B) of the Saab 32 Lansen. It featured an innovative double delta wing; in order to test this previously-unexplored aerodynamic feature, a sub-scale test aircraft, the Saab 210, was produced and flown. Developed in Sweden, the Draken was introduced into service with the Swedish Air Force on 8 March 1960. It received the designation J 35, the prefix J standing for Jaktflygplan (Pursuit-aircraft) – the Swedish term for fighter. Early models were intended purely to perform air defence missions, the type being considered to be a capable dogfighter for the era.

Read on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_35_Draken

Saab 37 Viggen

The Saab 37 Viggen (Swedish for "the bolt" or "the tufted duck" (see name)) is a retired Swedish single-seat, single-engine, short-medium range combat aircraft. Development work on the type was initiated at Saab in 1952 and, following the selection of a radical delta wing configuration, the resulting aircraft performed its first flight on 8 February 1967 and entered service in 21 June 1971. It was the first canard design produced in quantity.[3] The Viggen was also the most advanced[vague] fighter jet in Europe until the introduction of the Panavia Tornado into operational service in 1981.

Several distinct variants of the Viggen were produced to perform the roles of strike fighter (AJ 37), aerial reconnaissance (SF 37), maritime patrol aircraft (SH 37) and a two-seat trainer (SK 37). In the late 1970s, the all-weather fighter-interceptor aircraft JA 37 variant was introduced. In November 2005, the Viggen was retired from service by the Swedish Air Force, the only operator, having been replaced by the newer Saab JAS 39 Gripen.

Read on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen

Last edited:
•••
•••
One of the reasons I got into rallying was due to my interest in reproducing body, repair and hotrod parts. I'm more old school using vacuum moulding and custom dry carbon fiber process, simple and portable. I've tried some 3D printing with limited success, small platform, but I can definitely see the industrial potential.

I played around with small scale vac-forming back in the 80-90s.

I think it's still applicable for large thin components like you are describing.

The moulds can be prototyped using CAD CAM or 3D printing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back