IT.COM

S-C-O-T-L-A-N-D.COM (pros and contras)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Quite active apprasing disscution told me that it was not so bad idea to register such a domain. I would like to try analysing all pros and contras about this domain name and would like to hear your opinion.

Pros:

It is a country name.
It is recognizable when seen.
All leading country names were already registered except this one.
Scottish theme is one of the most popular on the web.
Scottish ppl are very active on the net - probably 4th active after americans, englishmen and germans.
Very nice Google output.
It is unusual and it has cought your eyes.
It has a good, even if negative, response here.
It has some interesting potential when developed.

Contras:

It has all-behated hyphens (or dashes).
It will never be sold here.

Please, place your pros and contras. Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Contras:
It is hard to type.
It would be in competition with SCOTLAND.COM, which people would type and click first from a search engine.

•••
Contras:

Try saying that over the phone ! :lol:

•••
gazzip said:
Contras:

Try saying that over the phone ! :lol:

lmao!

Contras:
People may think you've gossipping when you tell them that, and may lead to them going to scotland.com instead! And it works like a tongue twister if you try saying the letters+hyphens fast :o

•••
Shorty said:
Contras:
It is hard to type.
It would be in competition with SCOTLAND.COM, which people would type and click first from a search engine.

Same opinion here...

Personally i would never buy a name like that...

•••
Try advertising it on the radio just ONE TIME !

You'll see ........ ;)

•••
It's a pain to type it in the browser.

all4cost said:
Try advertising it on the radio just ONE TIME !

You'll see ........ ;)
Ok everyone, for the last time, visit this website.

S dash C dash O dash L dash N dash D Dot Com
I can only imagine :lol:

•••
Would be nice if it was a joke or something, but in formal occasions that kind of domains would be worthless..

•••
Great thanx to everyone who responded. Yes, I understand that it is hard to type and it has some other inconviniences. At least I'm not going to dro this domain to a dark corner in a far away room. I will play with it somehow with my ideas. And then we'll see.

BTW, just curios - how many letter-dash-letter-dash-letter-dash-letter... domains are registered after I placed info about s-c-o-t-l-a-n-d.com. Is there any tools to check it?

•••
wasistdas said:
BTW, just curios - how many letter-dash-letter-dash-letter-dash-letter... domains are registered after I placed info about s-c-o-t-l-a-n-d.com.

Lol not many is my guess :p

•••
Con:
Its not actually a word, its a series of letters.

for example hyphenate it differently:

Sc-ot-la-nd

South Carolina - Oregon Trail - Los Angeles - North Dakota.

Pro:
Since its consistent it is not as hard to say as one would think.

Instead of annunciating S-c-o-t-l-a-n-d.com descriptively, one could say:
Scotland.com dash each letter.

Last edited:
•••
Cons:

It is a not a country name Scotland is a country not S-C-O-T-L-A-N-D.
It is incomprehendable when seen - people wont like typing in 7 more hyphens.
All leading country names were already registered except this one, Scotland isnt really a "leading" country, it is deemed part of the UK if anything.
Scottish theme is one of the most popular on the web - How can you have a "theme", maybe you were just making up things up at this stage.
Scottish ppl are very active on the net - probably 4th active after americans, englishmen and germans. - I love people who guess at such ludicrious statistics.
Very nice Google output. - The response from google is irrelevant, it disgards hyphens.
It is unusual and it has cought your eyes. - It caught my eyes because it is so stupid, if anything.
It has some interesting potential when developed. - This could be said for any website, provided it has a good domain, right.

•••
You could do a information site using the Graphic letters for the navigation

S - Scenery
C - Castles
O - ?
T - Travel info
L - ?
A - Accommodation
N - Nature
D - Destinations

Hmm - needs alot more thought, just an idea !!

•••
Dude, you have got to develop this domain. Just think about all of the traffic you would have gotten simply due to the posts about the site here... I tried it just to see if I could actually type it correctly... If it was a site that I liked I would have it bookmarked...

I love this domain, I think it is a riot...

pros:

Lots of free advertising here

Contras:

hard to type

Suggestion:

Turn this into a site that asks users to submit their worst domains!

I think you could get decent traffic out od it with some good advertising and it could be a lot of fun...

Just my $0.02

:gn:

•••
N-E-R-D.com The only place this works, the official site

http://n-e-r-d.com/

this is the only site I came accros where this may work, it's the group's official site. My bet is they didn't couldn't get nerd.com

•••
Pros - Unusual and unique kind of name.

Contras - Too many hyphens which make it difficult to type.

•••
What the hell is a 'contra'???? Jeez the words is 'cons'...it's pros and cons....

And as I said in the other moronic thread this name is just plain dumb!

Lux

•••
gazzip - funny :) - Scenery Castles Of Travel Love Accomodation Naturally Destinated.
linker - thanx for the idea. I will think about it. It depends on media response about this name.
luxinterior - are you a teacher?

•••
this thread should die. enough hype for s-c-o-t-l-a-n-d

•••
wasistdas said:
luxinterior - are you a teacher?

No but I did go to school. :bah:

Lux

•••
Good answer, luxinterior.

Ok. It really becomes annoying to some ppl.

Anyway, resume:

It was worth to register the domain despite its usefullness or uselessness.

Thank you all. The Thread is closed.

•••
Not closed yet... ;)

Folks, check THIS Guy's hyphened .COM domain portfolio. A WHOIS search will reveal He still owns them, and has done so for years and years! What a shock, er? :laugh:

•••
Prosperous said:
Not closed yet... ;)

Folks, check THIS Guy's hyphened .COM domain portfolio. A WHOIS search will reveal He still owns them, and has done so for years and years! What a shock, er? :laugh:

That's the guy that just paid $750,000 for Property.com as far as I know, he has made millions in the last few years.

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/cover020204.htm

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hmmmm. That's impressive. Maybe that guy will buy my domain :). Another pro for this registration. Now I know how to attract mass-madia to the registration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back