Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

RSS (PHP and google) questions

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

traderone

Established Member
Impact
2
I'm soooo confused! hehe, not really. Just a lot of options I guess...

I'm looking into RSS because I thought it would be good to:
1) have a steady source of fresh content that is pertinent to a site's topic.
2) be indexed in google with a potential source of very current/hot keywords (I'm referring to news headlines)

I have basic HTML skills and use the WSYWIG NVU.
I just read a great tutorial here at namepros on PHP which I want to learn more about.
I use various java scripts and such that I copy from free online sources and alter as needed, even if I don't always understand the code.

I'd prefer to take my time to accomplish this instead of just haphazardly throwing together a bunch of pages. (I'll admit I was tempted)

So my first question was how do I get these RSS feeds to appear on my page (example: http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories )
I found a bunch of sites offering something similar to these:
http://www.rssfeedreader.com
http://www.rss-to-javascript.com
http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories

The best I could figure :
1) They offer you a line of code in your choice of PHP or JavaScript (and sometimes an iframe for HTML).
2) A very small ad (about 3 lines/text only) for some is at bottom of the news feed.
3) One site says this about PHP vs. JavaScript:
"PHP (Search Engine Friendly Solution) Solution"
"JavaScript Solution (Search Engines cannot read JavaScript)"
Is that true?
4)One of the news feeds suggested with rssfeedreader.com is a Yahoo URL:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/news_story_search_rss/index.html?p=football
which can be easily changed for keywords (think website specific) by simply replacing the last word (football).
I like the way rssreedfeeder.com does a popup when a visitor clicks on a news item, instead of being forwarding away from my site.
However they include a small ad at the end. That might not to big a deal.

Is there some other way I should be looking into? I'm not to sure I like a 3rd party getting between my site and the newsfeed,
(yahoo-news-feed for example). Is there a simple script I can use that will bypass the 3rd party?

Ok, if there are no practical alternatives, I may use a php code from rssfeedreader.com .

-traderone
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I also want to learn that, somebody plz help :)
 
0
•••
Before you go the third party route, Wordpress has some very nice addons for RSS syndication. I've used Feedwordpress specifically:

http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress

And the inclusion code:

PHP:
<?
 if ($rs = aggrss('http://site.com/feed/')) {
foreach ($rs['items'] as $item) {
 echo "<p><a href='".$item['link']."'>".$item['title']."</a><br/>".html_entity_decode($item['description'])."</p>";}

 if ($rs['items_count'] <= 0) {
echo "Sorry, no items found in the RSS file";}
}
?>

I'm by no means a PHP coder, but that code does the job, and will work anywhere within the loop :)
 
0
•••
Try looking somewhere such as www.hotscripts.com. They have all kinds of stuff there.
 
0
•••
Thanks for the replies.

I found this PHP RSS Parser that is suposed to generate the code for a web page, but could not get it to work (at 3 am). I was getting a 'parse error' that included my ftp login name for my godaddy account. Being very new to php, i'm baffled by that. Still it looks very promising. I wish it would work!
http://www.globalsyndication.com/rss-parser. Would someone else try it?

I'm going to look into some of the suggestions in this thread after I do some errands.

Thanks,
traderone
 
0
•••
Try a script called magpierss, easy to use. Search for it on Google.
 
0
•••
0
•••
samkool said:

Awesome samkool, thats great. I could not get that code to work for me on my godaddy Linux account. (I got a parse error that included my ftp login) Who do you use? Had some problems with magpie too, but I will figure 'em out tomorow I think.

Check this one out. I thought it was very cool:

http://www.suttree.com/code/rss/

It's just one file, you download from sutree, and then upload to your server. It will be apearant how you customize for your site.

-traderone
 
0
•••
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back