interviews Rick Schwartz talks to us about China, .Web and much much more

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It's been over 10 months since Rick Schwartz has sat down and written his thoughts on domaining. I contacted Rick to ask him if he was up for an interview and he graciously obliged. Below is what I consider a post to bookmark and read a couple times over. I wanted to touch upon China, Parking, and the new gtld program. The last question will hopefully be a big help for new investors entering … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the interview. I've only read the first question now, as I'm drifting off and can't finish it now...

It's just past 1 AM now, but, I've bookmarked it for tomorrow's morning reading session. I'm sure it's worth the read, especially with the comment made by @Acroplex.

•••
Read every word! Surely great words from the King himself!

•••
Yeah Rick went far and above what I expected. Over 5600 words,. I hope question 5 helps new investors.

•••
Excellent content, as always. Nice job Raymond.

Thank you Rick for taking the time to lay down your thoughts; it is appreciated.

•••
•••
•••
I believe .Web will suck all the oxygen out of the room and I believe a lot of domain investors that are weak financially won’t be able to participate in that game at all. I wrote many times that the big winner for the GTLD’s may not be a GTLD. I am on record as saying it gives folks another reason to take a look at .net, .org, .TV, .info and others BEFORE you get to the new extensions. You have seen dot net prices go up, not down.

I am also on record as saying that I am going to keep my powder dry, wait for the dust to settle, wait for the handful of extensions that could be meaningful to emerge and then go from there. I am sure many a domain investor would trade all their GTLD’s today for the CASH they paid and call it a day.

The majority of registrars and some of the registries will do fine. Domain investors not so much

•••
great information! Thanks for posting!

•••
That was a great interview thanks Raymond greatly appreciated :)

I would love to know his thoughts on domain valuation companies for new domain investors ie Estibot, Sedo, GD? Personally I don't like them but it would be great to know Ricks thoughts who doesn't seem to be biased and gets to the point? I see there has been more discussions about it recently on NP regarding DomainSherpa sponsorship plug and his comparison to Zillow(com)?

I have nothing against MC. I enjoy his weekly interviews and what he contributes to the domaining community :)

Read Here

•••
Rick on XYZ:

When you go down the list there are only a handful that meet that threshold and the way I look at things, all others are eliminated. Love them or hate them, objectively, .xyz is one of a small handful that meet the criteria. That does not mean I would invest in .xyz. It just means it meets the basic criteria that about 995 other extensions don’t meet.

Last edited:
•••
•••
"Web is obviously the biggest choice with many possibilities."

I'm sure I'll go for some .web but honestly I don't see why Rick likes this one best.

•••
•••
.web might be one of the better gTLDs but it will never come close to .com.

We have to look at things from a branding perspective, not as just a domainer.

.com says everything, .web says...well web.

I always end up saying the same thing again and again, but brands will not want to limit their footprint. It is all about being unrestricted in your message to your audience. That speaks for the conscious and subconscious actions and thoughts you hope to build in the consumer.

•••

We have to look at things from a branding perspective, not as just a domainer.

.com says everything, .web says...well web.

I always end up saying the same thing again and again, but brands will not want to limit their footprint. It is all about being unrestricted in your message to your audience. That speaks for the conscious and subconscious actions and thoughts you hope to build in the consumer.

I think,web will stand next to net extension in the long run..

•••
Not even close to .net, a TLD that is somewhat losing steam. Good .net sales are not frequent, I am wondering why .web would fare much better.
At the very beginning there is always excitement, a few sales and poof the music stops.

•••
... but honestly I don't see why Rick likes this one best.

Look. You weren't lucky or smart enough to be around in the 90's when Network Solutions was registering .com names to anyone interested. Few businesses had websites, and even Netsol had to mail you a bill each time you requested a registration for any particular name.

The folks around then smart enough to register names and hold on to them a few years made lots of cash after businesses figured out that an online presence was mandatory.

The old timers (as I like to call them) fared better than most thereafter, because they had cash and were able to stay on top of things like PPC, monetization, speculation, etc. To think they are clairvoyant now about .web or any other new TLD is complete folly. Complete folly.

•••
Yup, history repeats itself.

Not even close to .net, a TLD that is somewhat losing steam. Good .net sales are not frequent, I am wondering why .web would fare much better.
At the very beginning there is always excitement, a few sales and poof the music stops.

We've already seen the predictions of industry veterans be wrong, very wrong on new gTLDs.

Look. You weren't lucky or smart enough to be around in the 90's when Network Solutions was registering .com names to anyone interested. Few businesses had websites, and even Netsol had to mail you a bill each time you requested a registration for any particular name.

The folks around then smart enough to register names and hold on to them a few years made lots of cash after businesses figured out that an online presence was mandatory.

The old timers (as I like to call them) fared better than most thereafter, because they had cash and were able to stay on top of things like PPC, monetization, speculation, etc. To think they are clairvoyant now about .web or any other new TLD is complete folly. Complete folly.

•••
Look. You weren't lucky or smart enough to be around in the 90's when Network Solutions was registering .com names to anyone interested.

Oh I was around but was in to land based businesses. Chill..

•••
Thanks for sharing this useful information

•••
Oh I was around but was in to land based businesses. Chill..

You chill. I'm not going to chill until the creepy, know-it-all, lying, thieving, pontificating hypocrites who have until now been held on a pedestal by one another, at OUR expense, are shown the door by the industry. That's right. Only when the conventions and online "news" rags are purged of the fools who have bestowed accolades upon themselves and have been subsequently proven to have looked the other way while their fans and readers have been royally screwed, will I then stop reminding everyone of documented, sordid history.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back