NameSilo

Resolved

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
@Jackson Elsegood
Regarding transaction 4532982 for CBDcity.com for $11,500...

The buyer took possession via push at godaddy and immediately requested that escrow cancel the deal. I’ve provided loads of email verification to escrow to show my position. Meanwhile they are asking me to work with the buyer to get the domain back.

I’ll need to be paid or I will take legal action. My suggestion is that escrow do a little homework to verify the account push. I’ve done too much business with you guys for you to put this back on me. The buyer is a scam artist and I won’t play games!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyhow .. I'll repeat again like a few days ago .. rather than speculating, guessing or arguing .. how about we simply ask Escrow what "1 day inspection period" actually means EXACTLY? (@Jackson Elsegood? What say you on this matter? lol)

All that said .. regardless of everything everyone has said so far ..
Escrow.com needs to create a 0 day inspection option.
(Or otherwise allow us to remove inspection periods completely)

Unless "1 day" is like I suspect and actually means to include the current day .. which equates to no actual inspection period .. in which case that fact needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE clarified).

Because I certainly understand the need for an inspection period for most conventional products and services .. however .. in the case of "sold as is" domains with no promises of traffic/content, then an inspection period is just a needless potential loophole to be exploited.

Escrow.com have a long history in the escrow business.

Escrow.com webpage back in 2005 and 2006
https://web.archive.org/web/20060509011232/https://www.escrow.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20060509011232/https://www.escrow.com/

The inspection period was originally used for the eBay and vehicle trading.
==================
Quote from:
https://www.escrow.com/buy/classic-cars

Using an audited, bonded escrow service eliminates fraud from all your transactions. This is because in an escrow transaction, you can stipulate the terms of the inspection period and can include provisions to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle. If the vehicle does not pass the inspection, you have the opportunity to send the vehicle back and your escrow provider will disburse your funds back into your bank account.

===============

When they expand their business to include domain niche, they just re-use the inspection period for domain escrow.
That's why we found that the 'inspection period' is irrelevant to domain business.

•••
I didn’t give all the details but from my perspective it was an attempted theft. Hopefully the mods can update the title and we all move on.
Well, that was just not the case and I hope you understand that without being able to defend myself, that being accused of trying to scam you is kind of offensive. Your "perspective" hopefully would have changed by now, since you received the money exactly less than a day later, as I promised you in our email correspondence. I hope you accept it as a fact.

•••
Hey Guys,

For me this is a done deal in good conscience and faith,think whatever you like, not going to spend more time on this....

Not going to respond here anymore. All the best.

•••
@cbdcity & @Keith

Did @cbdcity accuse @Keith of hacking @cbdcity's GoDaddy account? And if so, what exactly were the words used? When exactly was it said/written?

Because at the end of the day, that's a huge deal and a huge part of why someone could or couldn't justifiably be accused of really crossing a line here.

Also .. @cbdcity .. while in your mind from your perspective it's very possible you genuinely had no bad intent, you really owe an explanation for the timing of your cancellation and lack of direct response after 3:51pm.

I'm not saying you're guilty of anything, but without answering those questions, your claims of innocence are effectively meaningless. If you genuinely are hoping to clear your name, I highly suggest you be a little more detailed.
This is an email from the buyer at 5:12 pm, 1 hour after asking escrow to cancel...

On Apr 4, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Filip Ernest <[email protected]> wrote:

Keith Can you explain one thing to me, how and why did you send it in the first place to the incorrect godaddy account, its a total clusterfuck now, that account got hacked and the email for password retrieval is [email protected], please explain that

Filip Ernest

I sent the domain to an account that the buyer provided info for. It’s all in the email chain.

•••
@Keith .. I highly suggest you edit out both the full emails (or at least the parts left of @) and the full name of the person involved. (before the 30 minute limit)

Also .. was the gMail account your email? Otherwise I don't see an accusation of you hacking his account.

If the K__ initials in the gmail account are yours .. then there is indeed a huge fraud alert here .. as in theory there could be reason for @cbdcity to think you hacked his account .. or more frightfully .. he set up that email and GoDaddy account for the very reason to create the illusion he didn't receive the domain.

I'm thinking it's also very likely something else happened. Automated communication and emails from GoDaddy are beyond horrendous and inexcusably confusing. Sometimes both buyer and seller get the same email .. and the language used in transfers can be confusing in cases of sales and a transfer between 2 different people as it's the same emails and language as if you transferred the domain to yourself in many cases.

GoDaddy REALLY needs to clean up and audit their automated emails .. and in the case of transfers, needs to use wording that does not lead to confusion keeping in mind transfers can be from person A to person A as well as from person A to person B! I'm not saying this was what was going on here .. but GoDaddy really makes things very confusing at times simply due to the language and pronouns they use in their automated emails. Worse than that, often automated emails don't even get sent the first time.

•••
Yes, that’s my email. The accusation that I’d hack an account I’m pushing to is absurd. I wouldn’t have the first clue how to do that, nor would I want to!

•••
•••
I think something overlooked, is that people should realise that legally speaking, they can set anything they want between buyer and seller that could, would or should protect them beyond the scope of Escrow.com (bearing in mind that some clauses could be void depending on the various laws of the jurisdictions involved). Meaning that while negotiating the sale, you could include a term that stipulates the transaction final once the domain has been transferred and that regardless of what it says at Escrow.com, that there is no inspection period.

Obviously that doesn't protect you from the actual crime of someone stealing the domain, but it would give you legal recourse (although I'm not sure if Escrow could do anything about it, since the "added" term would be beyond the scope of their TOS, and more importantly, beyond your agreement with Escrow .. so it might be necessary for you to take the buyer to court)

That being said .. getting back to the discussion .. I think this is yet another thread where everyone on both sides are both right and wrong .. lol.

In a more general global sense, @xynames is right in theory, particularly for traffic/content domains where a longer inspection period is understandable and even necessary. Although I would still like Escrow to clarify the "inspection period" .. as in the end I think he's potentially wrong (just for "1 day inspection periods"), but not based on anything he said, but more based on what I think Escrow means by an actual "1 day inspection period" (see below)

However .. I think a specific situation where a buyer accuses the seller of hacking their account is a pretty obvious case where the Escrow service needs to take immediate action to ascertain what is going on with the domain and secure it ASAP. If this isn't a case they feel they need to step up in, then in all honesty, what's the point of even using Escrow considering all the technical loopholes being discussed already in this thread?

If @Keith already tried talking to several Escrow.com agents, then I think his frustrations are legit in this specific case.

Note that either way the buyer does not have 10 days to cancel ... they have to cancel within the "inspection period", then they have 10 days to INITIATE the return the domain otherwise the seller gets the money. So in theory that 10 days could be 15+ days without a fast manual transfer .. (possibly as long as 15+ YEARS if the domain is at Network Solutions .. lol)

Beyond this point I think there is a big question .. which is what exactly does a 1 day inspection period even mean? I know I've had that stage move faster than 24 hours in the past (when I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't have time to close things on their end).

I think the confusion is that it's more a of logic flaw within the Escrow.com platform .. as I think they count the transaction day as a day. So yes inspection period looks like "one" day .. but "1 day" is effectively "zero more days".

What I'm trying to say makes more sense when talking about more days (as I think would be more normal with physical products. For example, "2 Days" could mean 48 hours .. but could also simply mean to include the current day and the following day, so effectively about a day. Obviously with the international nature of domain sales it can't even really be set to "midnight" (BUT .. unfortunately since there is no official definition it could justifiably be interpreted multiple ways.).

Escrow needs to set an actual time and/or countdown clock to remove any and all doubt and ambiguity.

At least that was my impression as I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that one of my prior transactions, the "1 day" inspection period was closer to 0 hours than it was 24 hours (which as a seller I was very happy about). I really don't remember the exact time .. but I just remember thinking that indeed the "one day" was more of a logic flaw (not really a bug .. but kinda a case of bad communication and poor clarity).

I'm thinking maybe it was a side effect of them having one platform for all their transactions including physical products.

Besides .. if that were really the case where buyers could cancel within a "FULL" day, then there should be notices warning to not do any push or transfer with a 60 day lock (more than just in the TOS). But at the same time I think doing a push/transfer with the 60 day lock is far and away your best protection as a seller. Because in cases like this one, Escrow.com would have 60 days to figure it all out with the buyer, seller, and registrars involved, before the domain could be gone forever, re-transferred to some registrar overseas.

Anyhow .. I'll repeat again like a few days ago .. rather than speculating, guessing or arguing .. how about we simply ask Escrow what "1 day inspection period" actually means EXACTLY? (@Jackson Elsegood? What say you on this matter? lol)

All that said .. regardless of everything everyone has said so far ..
Escrow.com needs to create a 0 day inspection option.
(Or otherwise allow us to remove inspection periods completely)

Unless "1 day" is like I suspect and actually means to include the current day .. which equates to no actual inspection period .. in which case that fact needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE clarified).

Because I certainly understand the need for an inspection period for most conventional products and services .. however .. in the case of "sold as is" domains with no promises of traffic/content, then an inspection period is just a needless potential loophole to be exploited.

I am always aware that there are two sides to every story. Without an explanation from cbdcity I am siding with Keith on this one. Really opened my eyes; ironically the most interesting and my favourite thread on NP since joining 3-4 years ago.

•••
Whenever I see a big sale here, I think Chocolate

Sale? Well maybe someday it will have a coming soon page, as it still points to the brokers page. lol.

•••
•••
I just did a 5 grand deal on escrow, as they scare the -hit out of me ,from now on ill take the price up a bit and gladly keep paying afternic 20 percent

•••
Glad it got worked out at the end, interesting to see people's general opinions about Escrow.com and Epik.com too, good reference.

•••
Right here I think you nailed it. I'm willing to bet this is what happened: Either by choice or inadvertently, Keith kept his own info intact (including email) when pushing the domain to the buyer's account. The buyer accesses his account, and upon seeing Keith's contact info in place, he freaks out thinking the account has been hacked (by Keith). The buyer reacts by requesting Escrow to cancel the transaction and refund his "investment". Keith then gets wind of this from Escrow and freaks out, thinking he's being scammed by a potential "thief".

Otherwise I am absolutely unable to follow this thread at this point and believe it's time to close and hopefully forget it.
It was pushed with the option to use the buyers info. I took a screenshot immediately after the domain was accepted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back