IT.COM

ResellerClub Screwed Someone I Know

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

So my friend started up a registrar and hosting site with ResellerClub using their basic $25 package. His friend transferred a domain, and after a week or so my friend decided that ResellerClub wasn't suited for him and asked for a refund. They refunded his $25, and they also locked the person's domain who transferred to them. They refuse to unlock it and won't give an auth code to transfer. Isn't this illegal? Is there no ICANN regulation to stop stuff like this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
clientTransferProhibited may be disabled at any time in panel, this is just standard transfer-lock feature for registrants.

Yup.. I have full ability to toggle the transfer lock off at any time.

•••
I just read their NEW IRT Policy (IRTP) as it written:
3.7 may deny...
3.8 must deny...

That is how we read it as well. Registrars can deny for this reason, but are not required to. At Dynadot, we leave it up to the Central Registries. @Christian Taylor, your transfer was successful because VeriSign did not place a serverHold on it.

•••
I just checked WHOIS of my recent .biz transfer...
Yes, Neustar also doesn't set this serverTransferProhibited for 60 days...

So as of now - only Afilias (.PRO/.org/.info etc.) creates such problems...

Last edited:
•••
Every domain registers have their terms and conditions, but the basic rules have to be maintained. The domain registrar lock, transfer prohibition, domain name can be moved after completions of 60 days.etc

•••
One of our customers referred us to this thread, so let me please add how things work just to avoid confusion within the community:

Please note that what I write below applies to registries/TLDs that are overseen and regulated by ICANN. Many ccTLDs have their own rules, but the information below applies to registries/registrars that must comply with ICANN rules.

The 60-day lock from prior transfer between registrars (inter-registrar) is enforced solely by the losing registrar. As had been previously noted, registrars are permitted specific reasons in which they may reject an outbound transfer request to a different registrar. Among the list of allowable rejection reasons is that it is within 60-days of prior transfer. In our experience, all registrars enforce this rule for several reasons. For us, I can say that the major reason is related to fraud prevention, although there are others. In some situations, such as a sale from a known Seller within our system to a Buyer wanting to transfer to a different registrar, we are happy to bypass the rejection, and have done so many times, so I can assure you all that registrars have this ability. To further illustrate, here is how a transfer between registrars works chronologically:
  1. The gaining registrar submits a transfer request to the registry. Along with the domain name to be transferred, the gaining registrar also must send the correct EPP auth code.
  2. The registry then "notifies" the losing registrar of the transfer request.
  3. The losing registrar can then do any of the following:
    • Do nothing. If nothing is done, the transfer to the gaining registrar completes when the registry automatically releases it after 5-6 days.
    • Reject the transfer for any of the reasons permitted by ICANN within 5 days. Again, this includes the right to reject based upon prior transfer within 60 days. This list of allowable rejection reasons also includes the new rule governing intra-registrar transfers (most commonly a change of Registrant) within 60 days implemented in December 2016.
    • Explicitly accept the transfer. This is technically referred to as an "ACK" in EPP land. If the losing registrar ACKs the transfer, it completes immediately. This is what you see from registrars like us that permit expediting outgoing transfers without waiting the 5-6 days for automatic registry release.
The 60-day lock from the date of registration is enforced by registries, and is not something registrars can bypass.

Hope this helps as there is a lot of information out there that is either inaccurate, confusing or incomplete, and different registrars have different rules thereby adding to the confusion since most people on this forum keep domains with multiple registrars and have therefore experienced different things.

•••
One of our customers referred us to this thread, so let me please add how things work just to avoid confusion within the community:

Please note that what I write below applies to registries/TLDs that are overseen and regulated by ICANN. Many ccTLDs have their own rules, but the information below applies to registries/registrars that must comply with ICANN rules.

The 60-day lock from prior transfer between registrars (inter-registrar) is enforced solely by the losing registrar. As had been previously noted, registrars are permitted specific reasons in which they may reject an outbound transfer request to a different registrar. Among the list of allowable rejection reasons is that it is within 60-days of prior transfer. In our experience, all registrars enforce this rule for several reasons. For us, I can say that the major reason is related to fraud prevention, although there are others. In some situations, such as a sale from a known Seller within our system to a Buyer wanting to transfer to a different registrar, we are happy to bypass the rejection, and have done so many times, so I can assure you all that registrars have this ability. To further illustrate, here is how a transfer between registrars works chronologically:
  1. The gaining registrar submits a transfer request to the registry. Along with the domain name to be transferred, the gaining registrar also must send the correct EPP auth code.
  2. The registry then "notifies" the losing registrar of the transfer request.
  3. The losing registrar can then do any of the following:
    • Do nothing. If nothing is done, the transfer to the gaining registrar completes when the registry automatically releases it after 5-6 days.
    • Reject the transfer for any of the reasons permitted by ICANN within 5 days. Again, this includes the right to reject based upon prior transfer within 60 days. This list of allowable rejection reasons also includes the new rule governing intra-registrar transfers (most commonly a change of Registrant) within 60 days implemented in December 2016.
    • Explicitly accept the transfer. This is technically referred to as an "ACK" in EPP land. If the losing registrar ACKs the transfer, it completes immediately. This is what you see from registrars like us that permit expediting outgoing transfers without waiting the 5-6 days for automatic registry release.
The 60-day lock from the date of registration is enforced by registries, and is not something registrars can bypass.

Hope this helps as there is a lot of information out there that is either inaccurate, confusing or incomplete, and different registrars have different rules thereby adding to the confusion since most people on this forum keep domains with multiple registrars and have therefore experienced different things.

Thank you for the detailed response! Makes sense :xf.grin:

•••
Section 6 of the new IRTP doesn't require that behaviour from registries.
That's why Verisign (.com/.net) and Neustar (.biz) don't enforce this lock, it is abnormal de jure.

•••
That's why Verisign (.com/.net) and Neustar (.biz) don't enforce this lock, it is abnormal de jure.

They said "date of registration." I waited 60 days after registering my domain before transferring it.

•••
And again...
Registries are NOT obliged to lock the domains, even optionally it is NOT stated by ICANN.
Only registrars have such OPTION.

•••
And again...
Registries are NOT obliged to lock the domains, even optionally it is NOT stated by ICANN.
Only registrars have such OPTION.

You're probably right - honestly I'm not bothering with the ICANN jargon. I just look at it like this: as a general rule, assume that your domain will be locked for 60 days after registration, transfer, and contact change. If it isn't, it's your lucky day.

•••
It is not a jargon...
It is their official policy (IRTP) that is effective since Dec'2016.

Last edited:
•••

Right, it may not be explicitly in the IRTP, but it is for the Registry Agreements that registries have with ICANN.

For example, for .com:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/appendix-07-2012-12-07-en

"Transfer (other than ICANN-approved bulk transfer). Transfers under Part A of the ICANN Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars may not occur during the Add Grace Period or at any other time within the first 60 days after the initial registration. Enforcement is the responsibility of the Registrar sponsoring the domain name registration and is enforced by the SRS."

For .biz:

https://www.icann.org/resources/unthemed-pages/biz-appx-07-html-2013-09-13-en

"Transfer (other than ICANN-approved bulk transfer). Transfers under the Registry-Registrar Agreement may not occur during the Add Grace Period or at any other time within the first 60 days after the initial registration. Enforcement is the responsibility of the Registrar sponsoring the domain name registration and is currently enforced by the SRS."

The, "...and is (currently) enforced by the SRS" means that the registry enforces the prevention of transfer during the first 60 days after initial domain registration.

So many rules - would be nice to have more standardization across all TLDs :)

•••
OK, then it may be enforced by Registries for initial regs...
But Afilias enforces this lock even after transfers... and that behaviour is definitely abnormal.

•••
OK, then it may be enforced by Registries for initial regs...
But Afilias enforces this lock even after transfers... and that behaviour is definitely abnormal.

Yeah, we've seen registries do some "abnormal" things for sure :)

•••
And even in these Agreements it is stated as OPTION: may...

Last edited:
•••
That is how we read it as well. Registrars can deny for this reason, but are not required to. At Dynadot, we leave it up to the Central Registries. @Christian Taylor, your transfer was successful because VeriSign did not place a serverHold on it.

Interesting info!

i guess things are changing.

I can't remember any registrar in the past that allowed transfer before 60 days.

I know Godaddy set the standard years ago and it seems every one else just followed.

I hope they do away with it or at least lower it to a reasonable amount of time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back