IT.COM

ResellerClub Screwed Someone I Know

NameSilo
Watch

Christian Taylor

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

So my friend started up a registrar and hosting site with ResellerClub using their basic $25 package. His friend transferred a domain, and after a week or so my friend decided that ResellerClub wasn't suited for him and asked for a refund. They refunded his $25, and they also locked the person's domain who transferred to them. They refuse to unlock it and won't give an auth code to transfer. Isn't this illegal? Is there no ICANN regulation to stop stuff like this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is NOT prohibited by ICANN's IRTP but allowed for Registrars as a reason to decline the transfer requests.
So each registrar has its own choice now: to accept or to reject.
If they don't update their FAQs with actual information - it is another story.

•••
It is NOT prohibited by ICANN's IRTP but allowed for Registrars as a reason to decline the transfer requests.
So each registrar has its own choice now: to accept or to reject.
If they don't update their FAQs with actual information - it is another story.

Certainly if what you say is true, registrars would be trying to capitalize on this and promote themselves by saying they offer it...in the say way many registrars 'brag' that they allow you to approve a transfer rather than waiting 5 days...but so far, you can't seem to name registrars that state they allow it? None that are bragging about it?

•••
It is not said by me.
It is said by ICANN, I just read it as is de jure.

Regarding names of registrars...
OP already answered.
Since Dec'2016 I didn't transfer any domains within 60 days, only my old domains. So I don't have such samples.

•••
As stated, both of those registrars state transfers are prohibited within 60 days. You can't name any registrars who publicly state they allow it? Hmmm, why would that be?

•••
Some registrars even state the improper prices on their websites... and only on checkout you can see their actual rates...
What you want from me? To do their job, update their FAQs or what???

•••
Some registrars even state the improper prices on their websites... and only on checkout you can see their actual rates...
What you want from me? To do their job, update their FAQs or what???

It should be simple. If what you state is true, at least a few of the major registrars would be publicly stating they allow transfers within 60 days...yet none do. Which would seem to indicate that maybe, just maybe, you are mistaken? All I'm asking is for you to name a few registrars that state on their website that they allow it...that should be pretty simple if you are correct.

•••
•••
And who are you?
Very old member or new guru???
Never saw you before...

That's the way to do it, when you can't answer the question at hand...just change the topic. Nice.

•••
•••
I'm not talking about the lock here. I'm talking about what happened. Don't you think it would have been wise to check there were currently no domains in your (sub-)accounts before requesting a refund?

Wise? Absolutely. My friend is new to this and didn't think about it though. I won't put all of the blame on ResellerClub, but I think it's childish of them to disable his domain until 2018 and refuse to even give an auth code.

•••
this is exactly what I see at Uniregistry.

Did you follow the link I provided in the other post? uniregistry.help/transfers-en/how-do-i-transfer-domain-names-to-uniregistry/
The 7th image down clearly states in the 3rd bullet point: 'Once a transfer takes places, you will not be able to transfer to another registrar for 60 days...'

•••
Did you follow the link I provided in the other post? uniregistry.help/transfers-en/how-do-i-transfer-domain-names-to-uniregistry/
The 7th image down clearly states in the 3rd bullet point: 'Once a transfer takes places, you will not be able to transfer to another registrar for 60 days...'

Well isn't it funny how the screenshot where the opt out checkbox now is has a date of February 15, 2016? In case you missed it, the article I provided stated that the change was made as of December 1, 2016.

•••
Well isn't it funny how the screenshot where the opt out checkbox now is has a date of February 15, 2016? In case you missed it, the article I provided stated that the change was made as of December 1, 2016.

I'm not sure what you mean? The article you list discusses a change of registrant opt-out which started on Dec. 1st, but that is different than the transfer lock.

•••
I'm not sure what you mean? The article you list discusses a change of registrant opt-out which started on Dec. 1st, but that is different than the transfer lock.

BRO, the article is titled
Uniregistry : Example of a 60-day lock “opt out” for a domain transfer

I think you better read it again

•••
Recently I fixed a few FAQ-pages at Payoneer... also were outdated and misleading...
And such cases are common...

But the only one and primary source here is ICANN, their official policy (IRTP: 3.7, 3.8).

Last edited:
•••
BRO, the article is titled
Uniregistry : Example of a 60-day lock “opt out” for a domain transfer

I think you better read it again

Do you need glasses? Read the actual article...it talks about changing your contact information and the new lock that can occur because of that. Hence why it says: 'From December 1st onward, changes to a domain’s ownership records trigger a process that resembles a domain transfer, even if no such transfer takes place.'

•••
Do you need glasses? Read the actual article...it talks about changing your contact information and the new lock that can occur because of that. Hence why it says: 'From December 1st onward, changes to a domain’s ownership records trigger a process that resembles a domain transfer, even if no such transfer takes place.'

So, if I'm understanding what you're trying to say, this lock is only imposed if the contact data changes (i.e. if someone purchased a domain from you and is changing the registrant, they can opt out of the 60 day lock). Well if you guys are right, I'd like someone to explain how I was able to successfully transfer my domain out from @Dynadot sooner than 60 days.

•••
So, if I'm understanding what you're trying to say, this lock is only imposed if the contact data changes (i.e. if someone purchased a domain from you and is changing the registrant, they can opt out of the 60 day lock).

Yes, that's what the Dec. 1st change is and is what the article is talking about. There are now 'two' types of 60 day locks...one that occurs from changing contact information (which can be opted out of) and one that occurs from transferring to another registrar (which can't be opted out of).

•••
If they have suspended your domain without any reason (which must stated in their Terms) - you may complain to ICANN...

•••
I'd like someone to explain how I was able to successfully transfer my domain out from @Dynadot sooner than 60 days.
As @Jurgen Wolf already stated ANOMALY

You have two situations going so keep them straight to reduce the confusion
1] you yourself personally transferred a domain from NameCheap to Dynadot, then waited two weeks, then transferred again to Uniregistry. Which is the anomaly that should not have been allowed to occur with standard transfer rules

If you renew at current registrar then transfer within 45 days you typically do not get an additional year, did each of the transfers add an additional year or did you waste a year as well?

2] friend A Adam transferred a name into friend B Brian's Reseller Club account, and was paid then Brian changed his mind and got remaining refund from Reseller Club. Now you claim Adams domain is locked from TRANSFER, which is AS IT SHOULD BE for 60 days. Now you state the name is locked from any changes at all, then they should lift them, but seriously, it looks very fishy what you guys are doing so they likely froze the domain to make sure they aren't dealing with a stolen domain.

So realistically Brian is the one who screwed Adam over by cancelling his Reseller account and then Adam trying to transfer out, it looks suspicious.

•••
•••
•••
Let me introduce myself as the person who held the original ResellerClub account. My friend had his account locked out.
To get back into his account, he must
-Pay a $50 account suspension fee
-Give verification from a parent (since [omitted] is under 18)
-Give PayPal verification
-Give a notarized document saying the parent takes all responsibility for the account
IN ADDITION TO
Myself paying the $50 fee to unlock my account and waiting 90 days for the transfer lock to expire.

He told me that he transferred it from NC, to me, and then did not transfer it to his own reseller account with RC, but just changed owners to himself (if I recall what he said correctly). He's about given up on that domain.

•••
As @Jurgen Wolf already stated ANOMALY

You have two situations going so keep them straight to reduce the confusion
1] you yourself personally transferred a domain from NameCheap to Dynadot, then waited two weeks, then transferred again to Uniregistry. Which is the anomaly that should not have been allowed to occur with standard transfer rules

If you renew at current registrar then transfer within 45 days you typically do not get an additional year, did each of the transfers add an additional year or did you waste a year as well?

2] friend A Adam transferred a name into friend B Brian's Reseller Club account, and was paid then Brian changed his mind and got remaining refund from Reseller Club. Now you claim Adams domain is locked from TRANSFER, which is AS IT SHOULD BE for 60 days. Now you state the name is locked from any changes at all, then they should lift them, but seriously, it looks very fishy what you guys are doing so they likely froze the domain to make sure they aren't dealing with a stolen domain.

So realistically Brian is the one who screwed Adam over by cancelling his Reseller account and then Adam trying to transfer out, it looks suspicious.

Each of the registrars added a year for the transfer. My friend has posted an update regarding the original topic.

Last edited:
•••
In 2016 RC suspended one of my domains due to "received abuses regarding SPAM activity"...
But it was just parked at ParkingCrew where email-monetization was enabled and that's all.
So be ready for various surprises from PDR (RC)...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back