Domain Empire

opinion Reseller running a live website even after selling the domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rjdomain

Account Closed
Impact
Hi All,

I want to bring to notice to all the users at namepros regarding my domain name "Bankings.net".

I bought this domain name at an auction at namepros from the seller @fighal . This seller sold me this domain without informing that there is already a live website of this domain.
This seller is running a live banking website in nigeria whose information was not revealed at the time of the sale.
I just came to know today from one of the user that there is already a website live on this domain. I was surprised to know the fact that the seller hide such a critical information which may be his malafide intent.

Could you all please suggest what further action needs to be taken against the seller? I want to remove the website and detach/delink my domain namefrom that website and for this what i need to do?

Is this not unfair and illegal on the sellers part to hide such a critical information?

Thanks to the user who notified me about this incident.

Your suugestions would be most welcome. Please help me on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you own the domain then you control the DNS. You are choosing to keep the DNS records pointed at the website of the previous owner. Change the DNS records to point to whatever you want.

•••
Hi

why didn't you check:

to see if there was a website
or if there had ever been a website....
before buying the domain name?

only you, can prevent forest fires!

imo....

•••
Worst nightmare, buying a banking domain that had a live website from Nigeria.
thatsucks.gif

Looks like it was that less than a year, if that helps. Good Luck

Last edited:
•••
I sold the name to him. prior to selling the domain I haven't used that site for long. You all can check to see the date of last post on that site and also ask the buyer when the domain was sold. I no longer control the DNS of that domain, @Rjdomain does. You forgot so soon how the domain sale went? I transfered the domain to you even without seeing payment. The site(blog) is hosted at blogger, just change DNS to default.. You were too quick to rubbish my name.

•••
For the life of me I can't figure out what heck the original poster is talking about. Developed website thrown in for free seems like a good deal to me, though. :D

...Original poster, my guess would be is that whoever you have the domain registered with is running ads on the site, and it's nothing to do with the seller. You need to change the name servers, which you should have control of.

Last edited:
•••
I sold the name to him. prior to selling the domain I haven't used that site for long. You all can check to see the date of last post on that site and also ask the buyer when the domain was sold. I no longer control the DNS of that domain, @Rjdomain does. You forgot so soon how the domain sale went? I transfered the domain to you even without seeing payment. The site(blog) is hosted at blogger, just change DNS to default.. You were too quick to rubbish my name.
Hi Fighal,

There is no intent of maligning your image. I do understand that the trnsaction took place in good faith but accidentally something went wrong.
As a buyer , i want to safeguard myself from any future mishappenings and this is what other buyers would have done i suppose.
I appreciate that you accepted the ownership of the website and provided me the resolution.

Thanks @fighal

•••
I don't understand this thread. Surely if you buy a domain name, you have hosting arranged for it. You change the dns, and you upload a site to your host. It should resolve fairly quickly as the caches empty. If there was an original site, and you want to disassociate yourself from it, you need to write to Google etc.

I would also add a disclaimer on my site.

•••
•••
I don't understand this thread. Surely if you buy a domain name, you have hosting arranged for it. You change the dns, and you upload a site to your host. It should resolve fairly quickly as the caches empty. If there was an original site, and you want to disassociate yourself from it, you need to write to Google etc.

I would also add a disclaimer on my site.
The problem is that i was not aware that there is already a live website with this domain name neither the seller disclosed it at the time of selling the domain. When i tried to resale the domain i was notified by another user that there is a live website. At the time of buying domains we trust the seller that they will disclose everything associated with domain and hence i did no bother to check it which was a fault from my side. This is a banking website so it is fine but think for a moment if that website would have been related to or engaged in some unlawful activities then the owner that is me would have bee held reaponsible.
so my only conern is that seller should have disclosed about this website at the time of auction and also i would have bee proactive to check all the details associate with this domain. I am not that technically sound guy and hence i was bit surprised to know about the fact. If at time of buying the domain i knew that there was also a website created then i would have taken appropriate action to change the dns and other necessary things.
But now after 1 month of buying this domain i come to know about this website which was bit surprising.

•••
The problem is that i was not aware that there is already a live website with this domain name neither the seller disclosed it at the time of selling the domain. When i tried to resale the domain i was notified by another user that there is a live website. At the time of buying domains we trust the seller that they will disclose everything associated with domain and hence i did no bother to check it which was a fault from my side. This is a banking website so it is fine but think for a moment if that website would have been related to or engaged in some unlawful activities then the owner that is me would have bee held reaponsible.
so my only conern is that seller should have disclosed about this website at the time of auction and also i would have bee proactive to check all the details associate with this domain. I am not that technically sound guy and hence i was bit surprised to know about the fact. If at time of buying the domain i knew that there was also a website created then i would have taken appropriate action to change the dns and other necessary things.
But now after 1 month of buying this domain i come to know about this website which was bit surprising.

This is NO fault of the seller. It's common knowledge that you should check the domain before you buy it.

What you are saying is the same as saying:

I bought a piece of property a few months ago but today when I go to see the land I notice there is a small house that has been built on this property. The house was always there even before you bought the property...... do you now go to the person that sold you the property and claim that they acted illegally?

Seriously dude, the onus is on you not the seller.

•••
You used the term "mala fide"?

I do wonder how you have 300 posts and are buying domains but do not have a basic understanding of how domains work. Then again I'm not surprised - don't forget your other other thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/bankings-net.971590/#post-5760197
First of all, i want to make clear that there may or may not be the malafide intent. I am not completely blaming the seller but there was also mistake from my side that i did not check the details of this domain since i fully trusted on the points disclosed during the auction.
I have mostly dealt in domains only and this is the first time i came across dealing with a website and i do not have that knowledge how to deal and what steps need to be taken to transfer the website to another host. I hope u understand now.

•••
This is NO fault of the seller. It's common knowledge that you should check the domain before you buy it.

What you are saying is the same as saying:

I bought a piece of property a few months ago but today when I go to see the land I notice there is a small house that has been built on this property. The house was always there even before you bought the property...... do you now go to the person that sold you the property and claim that they acted illegally?

Seriously dude, the onus is on you not the seller.
Sorry to say but i dont completely agree with you. I wonder how u compare buying a land and buying a domain. During buying a Land you physically go and cheçk the land and if there would have been any house built on the land then its visible. But this is not the case with Domains. Land is tangible asset whereas Domains are intangible. Noone buys Land merely by seeing the details posted online but the buyer in 99% cases goes and physically checks the land and then opts for buying. But while domain we check the validilty, its market value in most cases and there are portion of such buyers who trust the seller and proceeds for the purchase though its not a right practice.

I do agree that i should have checked the details before buying the domain but i never did with other domains in past while buying coz i trust and beleive that the seller has disclosed 100% facts associated with the domain.

•••
Hmmmm.
It looks like the bride did not disclose she had an old mother. Now the groom is worried if the mother will live with them or not.

•••
Sorry to say but i dont completely agree with you. I wonder how u compare buying a land and buying a domain. During buying a Land you physically go and cheçk the land and if there would have been any house built on the land then its visible. But this is not the case with Domains. Land is tangible asset whereas Domains are intangible. Noone buys Land merely by seeing the details posted online but the buyer in 99% cases goes and physically checks the land and then opts for buying. But while domain we check the validilty, its market value in most cases and there are portion of such buyers who trust the seller and proceeds for the purchase though its not a right practice.

I do agree that i should have checked the details before buying the domain but i never did with other domains in past while buying coz i trust and beleive that the seller has disclosed 100% facts associated with the domain.

I think you need to stop buying domains. Learn the basics first otherwise you going to be in a constant state of confusion. If you are unable to see the very very very distinct, obvious and clear link between Physical Real Estate and Virtual Real Estate then you really need to learn lot more...

•••

From your statement I realized you bought the domain name very,very, very cheap. Simply because you bought a very cheap domain and website from an inexperienced domainer. The seller does not know, it has more values when there is website on domains and that was why he failed to inform you.

You are to send disclaimer to Google if you are not comfortable with the background of the website. Simple.

•••
How difficult is it to type the domain name into your address bar, or to do a Google search with the name inside quotes.

If you want to be advanced, you can even do a site search to look for old pages.

•••
From your statement I realized you bought the domain name very,very, very cheap. Simply because you bought a very cheap domain and website from an inexperienced domainer. The seller does not know, it has more values when there is website on domains and that was why he failed to inform you.

You are to send disclaimer to Google if you are not comfortable with the background of the website. Simple.

Ya..maybe you are right to some extent...
Its true that i have got a live website for free but still i don't need that website as i paid only for the domain...I am not trying to be modest but it is also a fact that FREE things sometimes lands you in Trouble and i want to play safe :)..

•••
How difficult is it to type the domain name into your address bar, or to do a Google search with the name inside quotes.

If you want to be advanced, you can even do a site search to look for old pages.
ya..i should have done that but i nevr experienced such thing in past and i treated this transaction the same way i bought other domains..

•••
Ya..maybe you are right to some extent...
Its true that i have got a live website for free but still i don't need that website as i paid only for the domain...I am not trying to be modest but it is also a fact that FREE things sometimes lands you in Trouble and i want to play safe :)..

Buying even ordinary domain requires inquiries from many tools before buying if not you may buy problem. That means you don't do your due diligence when you are buying, especially old names

•••
Buying even ordinary domain requires inquiries from many tools before buying if not you may buy problem. That means you don't do your due diligence when you are buying, especially old names
I will take this as a learning..Thanks everyone for you suggestions and comments..

•••
ya..i should have done that but i nevr experienced such thing in past and i treated this transaction the same way i bought other domains..
Whenever you get a domain you need to check the DNS - if it is still set to the old DNS it will keep pointing to the old webhost, in this case taking people to the old site. To get the domain to point to a for sale page you need to change the DNS at your registrar.

The seller has no responsibility to "disclose" that there is a website - that is what domains are for.

People can check the history of a domain at archive.org. If you don't want them to find it there it is possible to remove it from archive.org once you control the domain.

I have sold domains where the buyer never updated the DNS, giving me the parking income for several years.

Last edited:
•••
The bottomline is that we Domainers are part of the Domaining fraternity which is based on mutual trust, honesty, co-ordination and professionalism. Though it is a business but money should never supersede the best practices.

•••
@Rjdomain - Do you not understand that you owe fighal an apology?

That's the only reason I can see for your continued tirade. It was and continues to be wrong. Attacking a persons character without understanding the situation is clearly an error and it's just that simple. We all make errors. So be a good guy and apologize.

@fighal - I just joined yesterday but, it's pretty obvious you were accused by someone who was totally out of bounds. Have a great day and don't let it bug you my friend.

After 25 years in the hosting industry the idea of you complaining about a website that is published using a domain name that you control the DNS on is really funny. I'm vicariously embarrassed for you.

We all make errors. So be a good guy and apologize.

•••
@Rjdomain - Do you not understand that you owe fighal an apology?

That's the only reason I can see for your continued tirade. It was and continues to be wrong. Attacking a persons character without understanding the situation is clearly an error and it's just that simple. We all make errors. So be a good guy and apologize.

@fighal - I just joined yesterday but, it's pretty obvious you were accused by someone who was totally out of bounds. Have a great day and don't let it bug you my friend.

After 25 years in the hosting industry the idea of you complaining about a website that is published using a domain name that you control the DNS on is really funny. I'm vicariously embarrassed for you.

We all make errors. So be a good guy and apologize.

Lets end this topic here..
@fighal i Apologize but it was purely unintentional to tarnish your image ...This may be due to lack o my knowledge in dealing with websites but i must say at last that atleast you should have informed me about the website. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back