IT.COM

opinion Report domain sales on Portfolio/marketplace sites? Yes/No?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have ran across a number of domainer portfolio websites/marketplaces and I often see their sales listed on their site.. After looking into the sales further.. I realized some of those sales were not their own, but rather general domain name sales. Personally, I am not against it. I actually like seeing it.. for example look (here). As along as the buyers are okay with it and there is no agreement not to report sales. I like it even better if you have sold a number of domains that now have live websites/businesses. I think it's a plus to advertise that. That's like your resume to me.. of a successful sales history.. and a history of selling valued names.

My question is,
  1. are you for or against this and why?
  2. Is it ok to post general domain sales that are not your own or only your own or both(it doesn't matter? (I have not done this, but i assume posting general sales can give the buyer the revelation that domains are valuable, and it could also be mistaken as your own sales hmmm..)

I'll leave it there; looking forward to your answers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I see no problem with listing sales, unless there was a NDA involved in the sale of course...Listing past sales is a great tool to inform end users about an asset they may not realize. Good question!

•••
I also don't see any issue with posting other domain name sales as such sales can motivate a potential buyer and he/she may consider negotiating for one of your listed domain name (assuming the buyer was primarily on your site for inquiring about one of your domain.)

Secondly, you are right about the confusion part, and I think it would be a good idea to include a DISCLAIMER text about the sold domains that are not related to your business/portfolio site.

•••
I also don't see any issue with posting other domain name sales as such sales can motivate a potential buyer and he/she may consider negotiating for one of your listed domain name (assuming the buyer was primarily on your site for inquiring about one of your domain.)

Secondly, you are right about the confusion part, and I think it would be a good idea to include a DISCLAIMER text about the sold domains that are not related to your business/portfolio site.
Yeah, considering listing sales on my portfolio site that's under development.

•••
I think without an obvious disclaimer, it's VERY misleading, making it look like these were YOUR sales when really you had nothing to do with it.
I wonder if the platform sets it up like that? Or if the portfolio owner customizes it in such a way?

(It also makes me wonder how many large sales were initially started when someone saw these sales and assumed these were the sellers own sales and thought, "Wow. This person knows what he's doing. He's established. Let's go ahead and deal with him..."

Last edited:
•••
I think without an obvious disclaimer, it's VERY misleading. making it look like these were YOUR sales when really you had nothing to do with it.
I wonder if the platform sets it up like that? Or if the portfolio owner customizes it in such a way?

What's your opinion if the sales are your own?
Is it more pro than con...

•••
What's your opinion if the sales are your own?
Is it more pro than con...

Woops. Forgot to talk about that.
If it's your own, I think it's 100% fine.
Unless you were made to sign an NDA.
But with NDAs I'm not sure what can and can't be disclosed. I guess every one is different.
Like: you can say what domain you sold but not for how much. Or vice versa.
Or you can't disclose who we are. etc etc.

•••
I would post my own for sure if I started a marketplace site. But I would also clearly state relevant sales as well to not confuse people.

•••
I think the practice of reporting sales (to Namebio for example) is great. It not only helps the collective domain community, but it helps endusers as well. It can bring a fair bit of traffic in, and help people discover new products/services that they may not have otherwise come across. My opinion of a brand also changes when I see that they're willing to invest in themselves.

IMO, it's perfectly fine to list reported sales on your site. You're right, it gives the buyer a means to understand the domain world. Why domains are valuable, which domains are valuable, how valuable they actually are, etc.

&I don't know. Unless the site clearly defines the sales as their own, I always assume that it's just a general list of sales. I also assume that everyone else assumes this as well...? :cyclops:

•••
Been there, done that ... I used to list each and every of my sales on my portfolio website thinking pretty much the same as all other posters above. Unfortunately this opened a can of worms (and there are lots of worms on this forum and generally online). People who bought names from me started to receive spammy crap to buy .nets .orgs .infos related and mostly unrelated domains, web development, seo services and the whole spamming menu.

I had buyers coming back to me just to complain about the amount of spam they receive "thanks" to closing the deal with me. I remember one angry guy said that I'm actually using a fake email and I'm trying to sell him the .info and .org of the com he already bought from me...I had to show him the registrant whois details (surprising how many people outside domaining have no idea what whois is and how it works) and obviously the little worm was from some other part of the world.

So would I list the sales? Thanks but no thanks

Hope it helps

•••
Been there, done that ... I used to list each and every of my sales on my portfolio website thinking pretty much the same as all other posters above. Unfortunately this opened a can of worms (and there are lots of worms on this forum and generally online). People who bought names from me started to receive spammy crap to buy .nets .orgs .infos related and mostly unrelated domains, web development, seo services and the whole spamming menu.

I had buyers coming back to me just to complain about the amount of spam they receive "thanks" to closing the deal with me. I remember one angry guy said that I'm actually using a fake email and I'm trying to sell him the .info and .org of the com he already bought from me...I had to show him the registrant whois details (surprising how many people outside domaining have no idea what whois is and how it works) and obviously the little worm was from some other part of the world.

Hope it helps

Agreed, I'm actually starting an escrow transaction today and same as usual I don't list on my site or at forums for that exact reason. I realize stats help the industry to form ballpark valuations but the downfall of that is new owner will get bombarded with .net .org .info or similar domain for sale emails. Some of my buyers over 13+ years have been repeat buyers so I'd like to keep it that way. The only pat on the back I've ever needed was watching the ACH hit the bank account.

•••

Hope it helps
What about listing general sales alone then? These are already public but end-users may not be aware.

•••
Aren't there short strings of code you can put into your html (at least on your own site) to avoid bots from reading certain parts of your page?
I know there's code that allows people to actually type out their email addresses the correct way without spambots picking them up. Like:

[email protected]

instead of:
Territerri*at*thisemail(dot)com

•••
Oh, or am I misunderstanding? actual human eyes see this and they track down your buyers and harass/spam them with offers to buy other domain names?

•••
Oh, or am I misunderstanding? actual human eyes see this and they track down your buyers and harass/spam them with offers to buy other domain names?

Exactly, keywordkeyword.com sold for 10k so they must wanna buy my keyword-keyword-keyword.info for 5k :ROFL:
When I don't post my sales then I know they don't get harassed and the name, email, phone of the buyer will remain in my 13+ year database instead of receiving an email telling me to kindly suck exhaust fumes from a tube with my windows rolled up.

•••
Exactly, keywordkeyword.com sold for 10k so they must wanna buy my keyword-keyword-keyword.info for 5k :ROFL:
When I don't post my sales then I know they don't get harassed and the name, email, phone of the buyer will remain in my 13+ year database instead of receiving an email telling me to kindly suck exhaust fumes from a tube with my windows rolled up.

Wow, I'm glad I rad this thread. I'd better rethink my strategy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back