Domain Empire

.tv Renting Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
has anyone here had any success renting any .tv's? I know a few .com domainers that rent instead of park

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I rent a .COM to protect one of my brands. I would buy, but the owner won't sell. They get $75/month from me. I get brand protection.

•••
I don't think that alot of people are quite aware of .tv to warrant renting at the present moment there is still some good bargains in the aftermarket and owners are still willing to sell to realize profit on names they have held. give it 5 - 7 years before people are willing to rent .tv's.

All IMHO. :)

•••
I have often wondered is anyone rented quality .tv's out as it could be a decent way to make some $ from the domain without it lying empty though i have no knowledge about this subject.

Maybe a Namepros member will develop a site to look after .tv rentals?? :$:

•••
GRANDRAPIDS.TV has rented to the local TV stations. I think the last rental period ended in the Spring. $xxxx RENTAL if I remember what he had posted on the site.

•••
What if the one who rented out your domain name put illegal contents on it?

Will you, as the owner of the name, be personally held responsible for it?

•••
What if rent a home to a drug dealer? That stuff should be covered in the rental agreement.

•••
mrdomainman said:
What if the one who rented out your domain name put illegal contents on it?

Will you, as the owner of the name, be personally held responsible for it?
If you are renting or leasing a property, the agreement in part states what you can use the property for - renting or leasing a domain name is no exception.

There is a fairly well know domain leasing group, thanks in part to an article in DNJournal:
http://www.leasethis.com/
I have not used them.

I have however leased 4 non-premium .tv's (geo/realestate) and a group have an option to lease one of my premium names. I have basically followed the leasethis.com format except that its on a year by year basis.

I believe that leasing of domains (across various TLD's) will gain traction in the years to come, particularly if the name is either very brandable or "generic exact" for the company that wants it.

The great generic .com's of course can be just parked and get the traffic revenue and dont need to worry about leasing (why would they). With .tv we dont have that luxury at present.

However, what we do have is the availability of sensational first class generic and geo names for a nominal cost (premium or aftermarket). This window of opportunity of acquiring these names at present prices is closing very fast.

With the uptake of the .tv TLD and the ability to acquire such names, investors in .tv are IMO in a very good position for the leasing of appropriate names, particularly with the general public seeing more and more of the ".tv" in advertising and elsewhere.

Finally, just keep in mind what a well positioned billboard cost per year to lease in a major city. Where I live its over $100k per year - they are never vacant and the're tax deductable.

•••
heroes said:
Finally, just keep in mind what a well positioned billboard cost per year to lease in a major city. Where I live its over $100k per year - they are never vacant and the're tax deductable.

Billboards are not allowed in most of Northern Virginia (Fairfax and Loudoun County for sure - I pretty sure there in all but Prince William County). I wouldn't know what they cost and it makes makes internet more valuable since outdoor advertising is limited. :)

•••
Exactly Local!! - Limited to the number of cars/trains etc that drive by. If your in a city of 3.5m. then that is the total max exposure. With a domain name its global in reach.

•••
Very cool on news and grandrapids.tv.

I need to jump on and see. 2 hours away. Anyone that visits grand rapids, stay at the amyway. Founders of amyway control the town. Going there next month

.tv rentals issues. Someone said 5 to 7 years. I see it in less then 3 years. .tv is exploding at a high growth rate. Even faster if godaddy drops prices down. A lot of development, brands being formed on .tv. The age economy!

Had to comment. Leasethis.com has a lot of generic .com names and type in traffic.

Even our buddy Rick Schultz is trying lease out his candy.com name.

We should form a new thread on this. Everyone is talking .com, .tv and so on here including myself.

•••
how do you rent domains ?
best way.

•••
Use www.leasethis.com to learn, see the prices and etc. Open An account, you lease your own, or lease others.

I have not done this. Before I consider this I would rather attempt affilate marketing programs and start the developing stage for my sites in tv format. Long process and expensive to develop things. We shall see

•••
Leasing domains is an interesting topic. Anyone controlling a premium .tv domain is leasing their name from Verisign, as in effect, anyone “owning” any domain even at reg fee is leasing their name, albeit at a lower cost.

I agree with Heroes that leasing good generic domains will compare favorably with the cost of other forms of advertising – be it billboards, product placements in movies/tv shows, print, or even vanity plates. Although it will take several years at current trends for most generic TVs to have decent leasing value, IMO

localexperts said:
GRANDRAPIDS.TV has rented to the local TV stations. I think the last rental period ended in the Spring. $xxxx RENTAL if I remember what he had posted on the site.
Interesting. I wonder why they stopped ? I do wonder about someone or some organization spending time and money building a brand which they don’t really “own.” In your situation, blocking a competitor makes sense (especially with a .com at a reasonable monthly cost) as you build your separate domain brand.

localexperts said:
heroes said:

Billboards are not allowed in most of Northern Virginia (Fairfax and Loudoun County for sure - I pretty sure there in all but Prince William County). I wouldn't know what they cost and it makes makes internet more valuable since outdoor advertising is limited. :)

Perhaps this is why the “moving billboard” market is growing from nothing so quickly. You can rent the space on a Truck or even a London Taxi now. Costs can be as much as $2,000 per month per truck with minimum 3 month contract.

And here is an interesting twist – a new development – the billboard meets domains. About 600 hundred of the 450,000 US billboards have been converted to IP address based electronic billboards. Reduces the cost of billboard production and allows easy ad rotation and updates on the fly.
http://www.internetretailer.com/int...when-billboards-meet-web-sites-watch-out.html

•••
but with a billboard, even if you stop advertsing, you still own the domain- isnt leasing risky for those who lase a name, and hope to build a brand on it? what if the owner dcideds to sell to someone else who has more cash than you? what if they decide after the lease period to not renew the lease, and you already built the brand up on it?
i see it as being a win situation for the domain owner- i wonder why someone would lease when the risk seems so high- what am i missing here

•••
smashfactory said:
but with a billboard, even if you stop advertsing, you still own the domain- isnt leasing risky for those who lase a name, and hope to build a brand on it? what if the owner dcideds to sell to someone else who has more cash than you? what if they decide after the lease period to not renew the lease, and you already built the brand up on it?
i see it as being a win situation for the domain owner- i wonder why someone would lease when the risk seems so high- what am i missing here

Smash, I have the same thought process. This is why most domain leases seem to use generics to redirect to a branded site. For example JaneGoodsRealestate.com located in Boston leases BostonRealEstate.com for its type in traffic. Jane gets qualified leads looking for Boston real estate, prevents a competitor from using the same, and builds a client base weened on to her branded site. Its just a numbers game - compare the customer acquisition cost of leasing a generic domain vs google adwords vs local print media, etc. Or as Local mentioned, it could be used primarily for defensive purposes.

If someone really wanted to build a brand on a leased site they better have secure lease extension provisions and an option to purchase, and then only if you deal with a reputable entity who can perform to contract terms...IMO

•••
I agree with Smash.

The only reason I lease is because the owner won't sell and I own every other domain in that keyword (single and plural).

Videographer.com is leased. I tried to buy the business. When I heard the domain is leased, even though the business was generating revenue, the business was worth $0 to me.

So I bought Videographer.net and Videographers.net and attacked Videographer.com's SEO.

•••
i am sure it works in certain situations, like locals- i just always wondered as a potential buyer, why they would use it to build a brand- more often than not you are dealing with people you never even meet- you have no idea just how shady they are- can you imagine building a brand for years, then the seller pulls the name? of course there is court, but jeez,you are talking about a whole lotta hassle, not to mention money and lost revenue. i dont know- i guess i would never rent a non-tangible item that wasn't physically in my possesion- look at registerfly- same concept to me- trust gone bad-
i am just feeling this out tho- never looked much into leasing- never got past the "what if" stage, and that was enough for me to buy/sell and thats it- just my bitty thoughts :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back