Renew or Drop? - DaddyoDomains.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Advice was given when I first joined NP that I'd never be able to afford the renewals on all the domains I was hand registering. Ironically there was no mention that I didn't have to renew any of the names:xf.rolleyes:

As it turns out, I've renewed a little less than 20% of the 1,500 domains I initially registered at a total cost of a little less than $2,000. And guess what? The 300 names I kept are valued at approximately 350K making the $2,000 I paid to renew them less than 1% of their total value:xf.wink:

Does any of this make sense? Of course not, but this industry has NEVER made sense imho:xf.smile:

Here are two domains I renewed just a few minutes ago...would you have renewed them?....don't be afraid to speak up for I learn just as much from the naysayer and critics here on NP as I do from the others. Thanks

DaddyoDomains.com
DaddyoBrands.com

Keep in mind they're registered at GoDaddy(y)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Your deluded my friend. You think your hand regged names are worth 350k ?

•••
•••
Your deluded my friend. You think your hand regged names are worth 350k ?
Did I say that? NO, i said thy're VALUED at 350K by this screwed up industry. Do you understand the difference?

•••
•••
•••
Did I say that? NO, i said thy're VALUED at 350K by this screwed up industry. Do you understand the difference?

Yup, but then you cannot say "making $2,000 I paid to renew them less than 1% of their total value", you cannot compare money you actually paid with dellusional money, it's not "their total value", it's "their total estimated value", as you admit yourself.

I'm afraid it will turn out that renewals will have costed you about 800% of their value.

•••
Obviously not
The English language was started in the UK where I believe you're from, but somehow it's lost in translation when the Americans say it. Doesn't NO mean NO in old English, or does it somehow mean YES:xf.rolleyes:

•••
The English language was started in the UK where I believe you're from, but somehow it's lost in translation when the Americans say it. Doesn't NO mean NO in old English, or does it somehow mean YES:xf.rolleyes:
Does deluded mean the same in America as it does in the UK ? Because you are definitely DELUDED

•••
I wouldn't regg in the first place. And now renew them? Out of question. Btw, it'd be nice to hear your experience from this mass 'regg and drop' phenomena.

•••
Yup, but then you cannot say "making $2,000 I paid to renew them less than 1% of their total value", you cannot compare money you actually paid with dellusional money, it's not "their total value", it's "their total estimated value", as you admit yourself.

I'm afraid it will turn out that renewals will have costed you about 800% of their value.
You're actually making my point. I know my domains aren't worth anywhere close to the value assigned by Go Daddy. How much are they really worth? Your GUESS is just as good as mine, and vice versa:xf.wink:

•••
I wouldn't regg in the first place. And now renew them? Out of question. Btw, it'd be nice to hear your experience from this mass 'regg and drop' phenomena.

My experience so far?....it only takes ONE, and I have a lot more businesses than just one business that I've named that are generating MILLIONS of dollars in revenues as we speak? Don't believe me, send me a PM identifying who you are and I'll be glad to share:xf.wink:

•••
•••
As it turns out, I've renewed a little less than 20% of the 1,500 domains I initially registered at a total cost of a little less than $2,000.

Which means you lost about 12-15k on registrations from the first year that you did not renew.
Cutting your base to 20% is probably wise because the first year was a learning curve for you.

I always say the first round of renewals are the lesson, you can get the best advice in the world but there is no lesson like the cost of renewals.

I think if you look back some of the more experienced domainers did say slow down a bit.

All in all I think your selections are getting better but if you were to asked me behind the lines what my advice would be I would have said the following.....

When you find something that resonates, like when you found the key word simplii, then register just the top 1-2 that you think have potential and resist registering more. Chances are your first instincts are correct and when you keep adding second words at random a lot of those will end up in the drop.

So congratulations on your first year, I wish you luck and I hope you get a few decent sales to cover your lesson from the first year.

Good luck to you (y)

Last edited:
•••
My experience so far?....it only takes ONE, and I have a lot more businesses than just one business that I've named that are generating MILLIONS of dollars in revenues as we speak? Don't believe me, send me a PM identifying who you are and I'll be glad to share:xf.wink:

Just sent you PM. what i meant was, it'd be interesting to know how much people really make with this 'bulk regg and drop' approach.

•••
•••
Which means you lost about 12-15k on registrations from the first year that you did not renew.
Cutting your base to 20% is probably wise because the first year was a learning curve for you.

I always say the first round of renewals are the lesson, you can get the best advice in the world but there is no lesson like the cost of renewals.

I think if you look back some of the more experienced domainers did say slow down a bit.

All in all I think your selections are getting better but if you were to asked me behind the lines what my advice would be I would have said the following.....

When you find something that resonates, like when you found the key word simplii, then register just the top 1-2 that you think have potential and resist registering more. Chances are your first instincts are correct and when you keep adding second words at random a lot of those will end up in the drop.

So congratulations on your first year, I wish you luck and I hope you get a few decent sales to cover your lesson from the first year.

Good luck to you (y)
Thanks Mapledots...all your comments are spot on, and I was just telling gtldomainer from Nepal that while there are many different ways to fail, there are also many different ways to succeed. And there are different degrees of failure and success.

You're right that my first year was more like OJT or on the job training, and I learned a lot from the experience. Much to the chagrin of my critics, it's been a blast:xf.grin: btw, did you see where I've been creating some MatchstickXXXXX domains where you can dot the (i) with a matchsitick and a flame starting with MatchstickBrands.com. Sort of reminds me of your idea for Simplii:xf.smile: Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
I have a lot more businesses than just one business that I've named that are generating MILLIONS of dollars in revenues as we speak?

I'm glad for you! But I know one thing for sure: if I had a business that generated tens of thousands of revenue, let alone millions, I'd be either carefully supervising that business or sitting in front of a hut somewhere at Grand Tetons or Karpati; I certainly wouldn't have spent Saturday afternoon at Namepros forum...

•••
I'm glad for you! But I know one thing for sure: if I had a business that generated tens of thousands of revenue, let alone millions, I'd be either carefully supervising that business or sitting in front of a hut somewhere at Grand Tetons or Karpati; I certainly wouldn't have spent Saturday afternoon at Namepros forum...
Actually, this is a lot of fun for me. I'd probably be out playing golf this AM promoting my newest business 9Time™ where I own the domains 9Time.co and 9TimeGolf.com, but it's raining:xf.frown: College football and my favorite team The Ohio State Buckeyes planned for this afternoon, so I do have a life besides NamePros:xf.wink:

•••
Renewals are always tough to make the right choices. You ask for advice, and in this case I would not have renewed either of them (if I did renew one I would renew the brands one before the names one). I remember as a child when the term DaddyO was popular, and I know there are some restaurants branded around it, but I personally think the combination does not resonate with a branding company looking forward, so am not keen on the combination despite what GoValue says.

I only renew about 25% if that overall. My view is if I did not have success in year one, is it really more likely I will in year two? Now there are exceptions, like when I feel my name is ahead of a tech or society trend, so it;s chances are going up.

When I decide whether to renew here are some of the things I look at.
  • Did anyone inquire on the name during the year?
  • Related to that, did I give it a chance i.e. how much did I do to promote it. If a name I had featured on my home page, maybe mentioned once in social media, but still had no interest that tells me something.
  • I don't do the sophisticated Google Analytics many do but I do look at some measures. Like Epik shows how many market visits (as well as other measures like Whois lookups) that are helpful and I do look at how many visits on DAN a name has received.
  • I look again at why I liked it at first. List ideas for possible end users. See if I feel more or less positive about that.
  • I look again at NameBio. In this case I did not really see anything.
  • I would look at GoValue, Estibot and NameWorth, but not mainly for the valuations. For GoValue I would use for comparators. Estibot for advertiser stats. NameWorth for probability at different pricing, assuming it has not <$500 where they don't give that.
  • I would consider trend. In my view no indication of going up.
  • I would look at how popular the better short term is. From Dofo DaddyO is in 14 TLDs. Not terrible but not great. I would look at which are developed (have not).
Anyway, that is my thinking. I agree that there is not precision within domain names in general, different people will feel differently, and we should respect the uncertainty in opinions.

Anyway, that is my opinion!

Bob

PS Just to be clear I could see someone using the name effectively, let's say a single person naming outfit that liked a sort of irreverant retro feel. But that does not mean that the probability of success is enough to warrant a sale. For example, I might say IF it sold maybe $500 name at most let's say $425 net. I say the probable sell-through rate is like 0.1%. Combining those, 0.001*$425 = $0.43 so one should not pay $10 per year to renew it (or $9 or whatever it was). Even at 1% sell-through rate, that I think is way too high for this name, it does not quite make sense.

Last edited:
•••
Not worth renewing IMO. Let it expire.

•••
That's one of the reason's I reg'd the names. Did you ever here of GoDaddy? Thanks!
Did you compare it to GoDaddy because it had a similar name?
Can I mean cybersquatting?

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back