Dynadot

Registrering for another company

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Relaceltic

Established Member
Impact
I have a rather unsual question...

A large company in my country has been using their full company as their url for years. I recently saw that the short version of their name expired, and I contacted the their owner via email. I told him that the name is available, and advised him on registering it as soon as possible. He replied requesting me to register it for him.

So yeah ... I registered the domain. Now he's expecting me to give it to him for FREE, but I told him I'd like registration fee, transfer fee and payment for my time covered.

He refused to pay, and says he'll take legal actions. I'm so confused

Not sure if this matters, but I run a web design business and the domain is registrered under my company and not me personally.

EDIT: Just for clarification - The domain that I registered was not previously owned by the company.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is that the full story?.....seems very odd that the CEO of a "large" company is arguing the toss over a few $$ or did not get someone from their team to register it?

Unless the asking price of your time is so outrageous they feel like your taking the pi**.......if so just ask for your costs to be covered, reg fee + transfer fee and nothing else....then move on

Or......

More likely is that you have this domain, did some outbound and they are now threatening legal action because it infringes on their brand and you have been caught with your pants down?

•••
Is that the full story?.....seems very odd that the CEO of a "large" company is arguing the toss over a few $$ or did not get someone from their team to register it?

Unless the asking price of your time is so outrageous they feel like your taking the pi**.......if so just ask for your costs to be covered, reg fee + transfer fee and nothing else....then move on

Or......

More likely is that you have this domain, did some outbound and they are now threatening legal action because it infringes on their brand and you have been caught with your pants down?

It's a construction company, I don't think they have anybody doing it for them. The asking price is not outrageous - It's only 80$.

That's why I'm so confused based on his reaction. I'm telling the full story - I'd gladly send you a copy of the email chain if that's what you want.

You're reply doesn't really help the situation, alot of acusations. But anyway, I saw it on ExpiredDomains, and contacted them shortly after. Not sure what else to tell you, thanks for the nothing, I guess?

•••
It's a construction company, I don't think they have anybody doing it for them. The asking price is not outrageous - It's only 80$.

That's why I'm so confused based on his reaction. I'm telling the full story - I'd gladly send you a copy of the email chain if that's what you want.

You're reply doesn't really help the situation, alot of acusations. But anyway, I saw it on ExpiredDomains, and contacted them shortly after. Not sure what else to tell you, thanks for the nothing, I guess?
Sarcasm does not change anything.....

So its not a large company?

Add the reg cost + transfer fee , forward the email to the owner where they say they asked you to reg it and explain this is what it will cost you in total for them to take ownership of the domain and you have covered your bases......job done

They can't start legal proceedings based on something they asked you to do.....

Last edited:
•••
Sarcasm does not change anything.....

So its not a large company?

Add the reg cost + transfer fee , forward the email to the owner where they say they asked you to reg it and explain this is what it will cost you in total for them to take ownership of the domain and you have covered your bases......job done

They can't start legal proceedings based on something they asked you to do.....

Finally, a constructive reply of value. Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back