Dynadot

discuss Registration of reserved .io domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

myweb1

Established Member
Impact
Hello All,

Does anyone know, how to register a reserved .io domain ?

Almost all good .io names are now reserved by registry upon drop. However, they don't seem to have registry premium pricing and I can't find anywhere if they are being auctioned somewhere.

I wanted to ask registry, so went to their support page which redirected me to techdomains.io (101domain). Support staff of techdomains.io didn't have clear answers. They asked me what was my budget and told me that they will contact registry and get back to me by email but I am yet to receive anything. Meanwhile, the domain of my interest (cypher.io) already moved from reserved to registered status.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nobody knows. Not sure if they will put up a reg premium or selling it privately

•••
Please stop feeding the system.

At least with .com, undisputed #1, we know

Most of the time, expired, DC or Snapnames.

Only β€œreserve” .com names, to my knowledge, are the single letter .com β€” O.com etc… .

Although, somehow, Elon Musk, got X.com β€”Rigged and messed up to just reserve names;

Stick with .com, folks.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I assume it cyphered at a higher value than your offer

•••
Nobody knows. Not sure if they will put up a reg premium or selling it privately

There are no reg premium so far. Someone out there is managing to register reserved names within a few hours.

•••
Please stop feeding the system.

At least with .com, undisputed #1, we know

Most of the time, expired, DC or Snapnames.

Only β€œreserve” .com names, to my knowledge, are the single letter .com β€” O.com etc… .

Although, somehow, Elon Musk, got X.com β€”Rigged and messed up to just reserve names;

Stick with .com, folks.

Samer

I agree with you regarding .com being #1 but there is no doubt about the value of tech related .io names. A lot of of big sales these days are related to crypto, and .io is very well received by tech and crypto start-ups when they can't afford .com.

Park.io is DC and Snapnames equivalent for .io domains. They were the best for catching .io but it seems they also can't catch because good names are now simply reserved after drop.

FYI, Single character .com were available to register before 1993. IANA reserved all of them in dec 1993. Q.com, X.com and Z.com were already registered by then so they were godfathered in and allowed to be used. Musk at some point bought x.com and then lost it when x.com was acquired. He bought it back for undisclosed amount afterwards.

•••
I agree with you regarding .com being #1 but there is no doubt about the value of tech related .io names. A lot of of big sales these days are related to crypto, and .io is very well received by tech and crypto start-ups when they can't afford .com.

Park.io is DC and Snapnames equivalent for .io domains. They were the best for catching .io but it seems they also can't catch because good names are now simply reserved after drop.

FYI, Single character .com were available to register before 1993. IANA reserved all of them in dec 1993. Q.com, X.com and Z.com were already registered by then so they were godfathered in and allowed to be used. Musk at some point bought x.com and then lost it when x.com was acquired. He bought it back for undisclosed amount afterwards.
How can we help you ?

•••
I assume it cyphered at a higher value than your offer

Sure, it's possible but the point is that it's not clear to me or anyone else if someone is purchasing at higher prices from the registry or simply some registrar is allowed to register for private sales or auctions on a later date. I just wanted to know if someone has some clarity about the situation. I would like to at least have an opportunity to take part in the buying process. It's a different matter if someone is willing to offer more than me.

Last edited:
•••
Sure, it's possible but the point is that it's not clear to me or anyone else if someone is purchasing at higher prices from the registry or simply some registrar is allowed to register for private sales or auctions on a later date. I just wanted to know if someone has some clarity about the situation. I would like to at least have an opportunity to take part in the buying process. It's a different matter if someone is willing to offer more than me.
Yeah higher bids never made sense to me either

•••
How can we help you ?

Well someone is registering the reserved domains within a few hours. It could some registrar or some domainers who figured it out. Just wanted to get some information if someone has any and willing to share.

•••
Some of them are being auctioned at NameJet, cypher.io was sold there last week.

•••
•••
Hi

they, the .io registry got the hook-up
and said "f- it" lets auction off these drops and get paid like er'body else.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back