IT.COM

REGISTRAR-LOCK vs ACTIVE

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi - I've just done a whois on a domain name and it's status reads as "REGISTRAR-LOCK". Most other domains are "ACTIVE", so what does registrar-lock mean and what is the difference? The expiration date on this domain isn't for several months yet. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registrar-Lock means the Domain cant be transfered to another Registrar, it locks it where it is, all Domains should be in lock down mode for security.

Mike

•••
Originally posted by Tippy
Registrar-Lock means the Domain cant be transfered to another Registrar, it locks it where it is, all Domains should be in lock down mode for security.

Mike

Correct, and active means just that, that the domain is active

•••
•••
Thanks a lot. Can I just confirm what I've learnt... if the domain name goes past its expiration date, it moves to Registrar-Hold, then normal redemption period etc. until it is deleted and available for any registrar to purchase?

Registrar-Lock just means whilst the domain has not expired, it cannot be transferred to another registrar... yes? Thanks!

•••
Right! Sounds like you have the basics down now! Registrar-Lock is just a safety feature to prevent domain name hijacking.

•••
Great. It's all finally sinking in at last...!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back