IT.COM

Registerfly, such crap!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought a major site some weeks ago for 1K. The domain was with registerfly and I wanted to renew because it was just some weeks left.

First of all you go to "Manage Domains" and there is NO button or link to renew domains. You first have to click on a button called domains and then renew domains.

They did not accept paypal, wtf!

So I used my credit card.

5 days later I get an e-mail.

We could not renew the domain historicalfiction.org in your account, details are as follows:

Purchase price is greater than available balance

I had over 5K on my credit card, not enough! wtf!

Some days later they get paypal and get all excited and send 2-3 spam mails.

I try to renew again, this time using paypal.

Then I get following mail:

This transfer request will transfer the domain name into the
ICANN Accredited registrar RegisterFly.com, inc. and it will also
extend your domain name expiration date by one year.

Transfer? wtf?

3 days later I go back to check and I see:

Transfer in progress

Just renew the got damm domain!

I get kind of stressed and I decide to transfer my domain to godaddy to my other domains.

Almost fully impossible to find the authorization code. At is located at the real end of the who-is contact information ...

So then I try to transfer. Failure, "Invalid Auth Code"
I try again: Failure, "Invalid Auth Code"

Then I click on the big button on the top of the page: "Live sale chat"

I fill in the form with my question, the window closes. I try again, the window closes.

I wait patietly, perhaps I will get answer on the e-mail.

Then I get an e-mail from live chat:

Really excited I open:

Unable to deliver message.
Error message: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

Wtf!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was going to post a long involved thread...but then I decided that short and to the point would get the same message across....
....Read this thread's title. It describes Registerfly with as much clarity and elegence as is deserved.

•••
Anyone get Auth code from RegisterFly.com

Hi,
Does anyone sucess get the Auth code to trnasfer domain from Registerfly.com?
I was spend so much time with them but nothing come back.
Sucks!
jpc

•••
I am wrong.

I've had several problems with the programming with Registerfly's website in the past few years. Each of these problems I was able to resolve just by figuring out what went wrong and changing my work flow to incorporate the error. Up until recently, I have never lost a domain or suffered anything but mild inconvenience. In fact, I've made considerable profit by using the company's errors to my advantage. I was able to register hundreds of domains for periods of 5 to 10 years for less than price of one.

That has changed. A really non-important domain of my disappeared out of my network. When I investigated it, I found that the dns had been changed to that of Registerfly. When I tried to change it, I found that I could not. After contacting Registerfly, they moved the domain into the expired status in my account so that I could no longer access it. After arguing with them about the status of the domain, they deleted it totally from my account. They also deleted all help tickets. When I checked the domain at Whosit.sc, Nic.com and Geektools, I found that my contact information had been changed to that of Registerfly. When I checked my purchase records, I could no longer find any record of purchase or payment. In essence, without any reason whatsoever, the company erased it from my portfolio completely in a way that could only suggest human action.

This goes a little beyond user error. I don't think that they really wanted the domain. I think some flaw in the system caused the error and to protect themselves, they deleted all record of my ever owning it. They know that a single person can not do anything against them. The cost of fighting is too high. Who can afford to pay $1500 per domain at ICANN? Instead of finding a solution and keeping me as a customer, they took the ease way out and deleted all evidence of error.

After speaking with others about this per telephone (and not through forums and blogs), I found that this is not a fluke and that such things have happened to more than one person. I was lucky. My domain barely got 10 visitors a month. It was in parked status and worth nothing more then registration costs. Others have lost a lot more. For the first time in my professional life, I have run into a company of this size and fame that clearly can be defined as a Rogue Company. Quite amazing really.

Therefore, instead of sticking to my line that user error is the main source of problems and that professionals can operate in any medium under any condition, I must embarrassingly admit that I was totally and completely wrong. Without any fault of your own, you can lose your property. Anyone who wants to say, "I told you so," may do so now.

It is important to note that eNom is aware of these issues (as is ICANN). For those of you who are having difficulties and can see the words eNom in your contact information, there is a solution. By contacting eNom, you can get your domain back. For those of you who see Registerfly in your contact information, transfer immediately. That's what I have done. It wasn't by knowledge that saved me either. I followed the instructions at Registerflies.com, the amazing Anti-Registerfly forum that is fighting this company and not just bitching about them.

I will be deleting all forum posts at NamePros that I have published in defending Registerfly with the following disclaimer, "After talking to several people that I respect in the domain world about their experience with this company and through recent developments with the ccTLD BE registered through Registerfly, I no longer have the opinion that user error is completely at fault to the wave of problems at this fraudulent company. I do not want anyone to be burned by this company on my recommendation. Therefore, all posts that suggest that Registerfly can be used safely (if you pay attention to details) are being deleted. Sorry folks, I was wrong to defend them. Even if everything is done absolutely correctly, you have a good chance of losing your company through no fault of you own, if you leave any important domains with this company. If you screw something up, that chance increases dramatically. So for both the professionals (those with long time experience with buying and managing domains) and for newbies (those with only one or two) this company is a risk to your property. My apologies to anyone who I misled into believing you could work safely at Registerfly with a little experience. Under no condition keep any important domain at this company.

In other words, I was wrong!!"

That's the best I can do to correct my errors.

My apologies to anyone who I misled.

•••
Registerfly are dismissive, unresponsive and a total shambles in my experience.

Failed renewals, appalling script problems with site, ridiculous and unfounded error messages and expired domains due to their incompetence.

My opinion is steer well clear!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back