Dynadot

Registerfly, such crap!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I bought a major site some weeks ago for 1K. The domain was with registerfly and I wanted to renew because it was just some weeks left.

First of all you go to "Manage Domains" and there is NO button or link to renew domains. You first have to click on a button called domains and then renew domains.

They did not accept paypal, wtf!

So I used my credit card.

5 days later I get an e-mail.

We could not renew the domain historicalfiction.org in your account, details are as follows:

Purchase price is greater than available balance

I had over 5K on my credit card, not enough! wtf!

Some days later they get paypal and get all excited and send 2-3 spam mails.

I try to renew again, this time using paypal.

Then I get following mail:

This transfer request will transfer the domain name into the
ICANN Accredited registrar RegisterFly.com, inc. and it will also
extend your domain name expiration date by one year.

Transfer? wtf?

3 days later I go back to check and I see:

Transfer in progress

Just renew the got damm domain!

I get kind of stressed and I decide to transfer my domain to godaddy to my other domains.

Almost fully impossible to find the authorization code. At is located at the real end of the who-is contact information ...

So then I try to transfer. Failure, "Invalid Auth Code"
I try again: Failure, "Invalid Auth Code"

Then I click on the big button on the top of the page: "Live sale chat"

I fill in the form with my question, the window closes. I try again, the window closes.

I wait patietly, perhaps I will get answer on the e-mail.

Then I get an e-mail from live chat:

Really excited I open:

Unable to deliver message.
Error message: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

Wtf!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thanks, I know now

then, who is the best one? I want cheap, I want free/cheap whois guard, I want easy/straightforward interface, I want good reputation, I want accept paypal, I want domain taste capability, sounds only moniker? any other suggestion?

•••
Jim, the status currently says "pending transfer" just like you said. Have you
already provided the auth code to the gaining registrar and approved it with
them?

airwav said:
My business site is hosted @ RF, http://sllbroadband.com. The domain expires the 20th of this month. Last week I iniated the renewal and I got the same thing, they had to transfer the domain from Enom. I paid the renewal fee and have the receipt. I also have an email stating that the transfer was succesful.

The domain name's available. Is it misspelled perhaps?

Zilla said:
then, who is the best one? I want cheap, I want free/cheap whois guard, I want easy/straightforward interface, I want good reputation, I want accept paypal, I want domain taste capability, sounds only moniker? any other suggestion?

Moniker's possibly the closest thing that meets what you stated. Other than
that, you're expecting too much.

•••
Where does Moniker list the prices for registering domains?

Found it... wow $18.99 for a .com!!!!

Last edited:
•••
Dave Zan said:
them?

The domain name's available. Is it misspelled perhaps?

Yes, it is a misspell, StLbroadband.com.

I was on the phone with them yesterday for 1 hour 17 minutes. They said the server was down and it needed to be rebooted. That was just great for about an hour. Down again...and they never respond to my open trouble tickets, so if I want my email I have to spend more time on the phone.

This SUCKS!!!!! :(

•••
ZuraX said:
Where does Moniker list the prices for registering domains?

Found it... wow $18.99 for a .com!!!!

Contact them and let them know you're a NP member, you can get special pricings, e.g., only 6.95 for .com names

Still, Moniker is the most reputable registrar :)

•••
Zilla said:
thanks, I know now

for the cheapest with whoisguard reg or transfer 3 names+ to godaddy and then flip to namecheap as the GD whois renewal will make them more expensive, alternatively just go straight to namecheap where the whoisguard renewal is relatively cheap....looks like a lot of regfly name refugees on the move....

•••
them?
It did not work and I tried again recently and got a notice from godaddy that it is probably because the transfer is ongoing. It is good that it says "pending transfer" now in the who-is, so I guess and hope that soon it will be renewed. Then after the 60 days I will move it to godaddy.

•••
InsideDN said:
Contact them and let them know you're a NP member, you can get special pricings, e.g., only 6.95 for .com names

Still, Moniker is the most reputable registrar :)

What do I say? Just that I am a member of NamePros?

•••
there are so many rough stories about RegFly on this board.

it took 3 months to recover a domain they lost from my account.

They need some work.

•••
What about changing domain owner in Moniker? Do they have free push to another account?

•••
After talking to several people that I respect in the domain world about their experience with this company and through recent developments with the ccTLD BE registered through Registerfly, I no longer have the opinion that user error is completely at fault to the wave of problems at this fraudulent company. I do not want anyone to be burned by this company on my recommendation. Therefore, all posts that suggest that Registerfly can be used safely (if you pay attention to details) are being deleted. Sorry folks, I was wrong to defend them. Even if everything is done absolutely correctly, you have a good chance of losing your company through no fault of you own, if you leave any important domains with this company. If you screw something up, that chance increases dramatically. So for both the professionals (those with long time experience with buying and managing domains) and for newbies (those with only one or two) this company is a risk to your property. My apologies to anyone who I misled into believing you could work safely at Registerfly with a little experience. Under no condition keep any important domain at this company.

In other words, I was wrong!!

Last edited:
•••
bionichead said:
...For the person who needed to renew but only got transfer notices:

The reason why you need to do a transfer your domain is because it is at ENOM. That's pretty obvious. They published the information months ago. The FAQ's tell you why it is a tranfer. I guess people didn't read it. How can a person not follow instructions and then say it doesn't work. That's called operator error.

Sorry to bust up your WE-HATE-REGISTERFLY board. I mean no disrespect.
That's pretty funny... the RF supervisor told me it was because they were moving to new software and a new system. I knew that it was because they were transfering from Enom, but it was strongly denied... :hehe:

•••
gfgf

Sorry, sorry but I just cannot agree with this...

bionichead said:
Nevertheless, most of the problems at this company are user error.
I doubt it.
The problems I've had with them are:
- registration attempts failed
- domains missing from my account
- whois that reverts to their default profile instead of mine
- etc

These are the same problems reported by many other users.
It's not the end user that is to blame but their buggy scripts most of the time.
They need to fix their scripts and make them more reliable and user-proof as much as possible. That's the least you could expect.

bionichead said:
It isn't that big of a deal. In fact it is really simple. The problem is that it isn't idiot safe. You can, do to user error, screw up the process quickly. Registerfly isn't going to hold your hand like GoDaddy. That's why you only pay $3.99.
At $3.99 they are selling at a loss here. They are pursuing an unsustainable business growth model where they either have to make up with other money-raising tricks or sacrifice good customer service.

bionichead said:
2) If you want to pick up say 800 info's during one of their specials, do it from different accounts.

What I do is this. I set up four accounts.
Dangerous. By doing so they could label you a security risk and lock your accounts. There have been numerous reports of accounts locked for no valid reason.

bionichead said:
If you can't use Registerfly, don't complain if you haven't read the documentation.
Issues are rare with other registrars... so who is wrong ? The registrar or the end user ?
bionichead said:
The helpdesk works if you label your problem correctly. These guys are busy as hell. With all these users screwing things up, they must deal with thousands of complaints daily. You must state your problem correctly. If you don't, you will be ignored.
I tend to agree with this. From my experience their support is not so bad when compared to Enom etc. But sometimes they are so sloooooow.
9 days to respond to a ticket ? Come on :yell:
bionichead said:
Registerfly is for professionals that need to save big dollars and has the skills to adapt to a system that has a ton of major flaws built into it. If you can't adapt, don't like to read instructions, are impatient, can't fill out a form correctly on the first go, don't follow up your emails, don't know how to check your nic records with speed before you start the transfer process, aren't good at finding the flaws through cause & effect observation, trial & error stresses you out then Registerfly is not for you.
Registerfly is definitely NOT for professionals.
What professionals need is not only good pricing but reliability and peace of mind. With Registerfly you can't have it all.
I believe Registerfly is actually targetting the same user base as Godaddy, that is the average John Doe that is not too knowledgeable about domains. When people become knowledgeable they tend to leave.
You admit that their system is crap. So why insist ?
By having domains with Registerfly you are taking a chance. Can you afford to lose your domains ?
Also, you have to wonder if the savings are worth the stress and hassle.

•••
Talk about one detailed thread. Thanks, bionic. :)

Airwav, did the RF sup say when did the software and new system change first
change?

•••
inspiration100 said:
lol welcome to the crowd sir, I think 80% of this board really hates them.

I'd guess it's more than 80%, but let's go with that. The other 20% might be perfectly satisified with RF, but need to consider if they are attempting any kind of resale to other domainers down the line then 80% of their potential customer base also hates RF. I have to really want a domain to even consider buying if it is at RF or 1&1, most I just skip. For example, lll.us, I buy a lot of them, but if they're at either of those two I just move on.

•••
I used to defend Registerfly as well. At the point I had 700 domains with wrong whois info all naming registerfly as the owner, AND they refused to fix it forcing me to hand change them one at a time (their bulk script didn't work eihter), that was enough for me to give them up.

bionichead said:
I've been getting bashed up at this site defending this company, but who cares. I am not preaching the gospel of Registerfly. I think Registerfly can be one of the most screwed up Registrars on Earth, if you don't take the time to learn how to use them. Nevertheless, most of the problems at this company are user error.

I am a professional user. I have accounts at probably 30 registrars, and all of the others put together haven't had the problems of registerfly.

bionichead said:
The problems at Registerfly started when they became their own Registrar. Before that, ENOM did everything.

And you could always fall back on enom to make things right. Not so any more.

bionichead said:
Things don't work, true. So learn to adapt or go elsewhere.
Many of us have done that! Great recommendation.

bionichead said:
How can a person not follow instructions and then say it doesn't work. That's called operator error.

More often than not, it's script errors of their buggy software and mixing of enom and registerfly domains in the same account.

bionichead said:
Follow these steps to make a perfect renewal/transfer.
I'll add a step #8 - Make sure registerfly didn't change your whois into their name and email in the transfer. If they did, you won't get renewal notices. They lost a couple very good names of mine because of this. (and refused to make good on it in any way)

And a step 9 - Make sure after the renewal/transfer that the domain is still in your account. I had a lot go missing from my account completely.

bionichead said:
The helpdesk works if you label your problem correctly.

It helps, I've left fully detailed requests here were ingored, brushed off, answered with downright stupid answers, and even deleted if they didn't want to handle it.

bionichead said:
These guys are busy as hell. With all these users screwing things up, they must deal with thousands of complaints daily.

Yes, they are busy as hell (that should tell you something). All registrars will have users screw up. However, at RF, a very high percentage of the screw ups are script and bug related, or just downright poor customer service attitude.

bionichead said:
You must state your problem correctly. If you don't, you will be ignored.

And if you do, you may still be ignored.

bionichead said:
Registerfly is for professionals...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Prefessionals can afford a little more professionalism from their provider. Profesionals also value their time more than the few dollars saved to put up with the extra effort and value of lost domains.

bionichead said:
Okay, so now go ahead and rip me apart like everyone else has done. I don't care.

Not ripping you apart. I had your opinion until I just couldn't take it any more. Every user has their breaking point. I hope they don't take you to yours.

bionichead said:
Sorry to bust up your WE-HATE-REGISTERFLY board. I mean no disrespect.

No disrespect taken. Those of us who have been burned just feel an obligation to let others know what they may be getting into. You are free to make your own choices. Just don't get upset if someday you get an "I told you so". I once defended them and could overlook a few errors as long as they were fixed. When they stopped getting fixed and became too much work, I jumped ship and admit I was wrong in previously defending them. I hope you don't have the same problems some of us have had.

•••
Some good points there bionic, unfortunately
I don't agree with your comment on it being the
user. For starters, only problem I have with them is
they keep changing my whois to their's Ionly have 7 there so
it's easy enough at the moment to keep changing it back.
Shouldn't have to check them everyday, but hey..."buggy system"
(and that's not a "user error")

Alot of the "instructions" are followed with...don't use this as it's
not working, or don't do it that way cause they don't have it
set up for that! , do it this way!
But where is all that instruction in their "how to" stratagies?
If they don't explain "properly" how to...how to they expect people to "do"
"Users" using a buggy system (which you commented yourself)
the best they can, yet still the crack about it being a user issue!
Sorry, but some issues are user error (and sometimes a silly little thing)
But where is Regfly's support? Where is their end user assistance?
And where are these people's domains?

•••
Dave Zan said:
Talk about one detailed thread. Thanks, bionic. :)

Airwav, did the RF sup say when did the software and new system change first
change?
No, all he did was deny. Confronted and he still denied... :td:

•••
bionichead said:
Hello all You Registerfly Haters.

Sounds like RegFly sent out the PR dept.... :hehe:

No one hates you bionichead...just Registerfly.....And contrary to your belief...their are many professionals at this forum....

I was with RegFly when they first started and you could email Tim directly...it is now a Dog and Pony show.

And saying they are "for professionals" really is laughable...

imho

•••
jaydub, I never said you were unprofessional. I do think that bitch sessions are unprofessional. It was published in February 2006 that all renewals are transfers. We are in November 2006. Why isn't this information common knowledge?

Let me ask this. Is complaining productive? If you complain all day long, will it imporve the errors at Registerfly?

Not a chance.

There's two kinds of people when it comes to technology. There are those that read the instructions and find the solution to the problem at hand. And there are those who don't bother to read the manual, give up when it gets tough and say the product is crap because it doesn't work.

The point I want to make is this: Registerfly is broken in many ways. Get over it. Adapt to it. Find a solution. Don't sit around posting threads that say, "I got a transfer notice when I went to renew my name, what crap." That helps nobody.

I gave you the solution to easy renewals at Registerfly. It is posted on their website. It is in the knowledge base and 18,300+ people have read it. This should no longer be an issue.

I am not their PR man, but I do have an interest in them. They do have one trait that I think makes them worth defending. When they became their own Registrar, they dropped all their prices. EuroDNS wants 18 Euro to register an info, for example. That's about $23. Registerfly has been selling them for 60 cents. I want them to survive for sure. They save me lots of money.

Instead of bitching about them, try to find out why things don't work. Anybody can bitch. That's easy. Its the soultions that take an effort and are worth the time.

My apologies to the forum if I have shown it any disrespect. It wasn't my purpose or desire.

Peace.

•••
Bargain Offer! Cheap Chairs! (small print: 3 good legs and 1 broken, but doesn't wobble if you balance correctly) Hurry! Hurry! Hurry down to Regfly Emporium! :td:

•••
You're allegory is off base. A better allegory is somebody who buys a model chair, doesn't read the instructions on how to use the chair, puts it together wrong, breaks it and then bitches that the wood was bad and the design sucks. Registerfly clearly states in the knowledge base that all renewals are transfers. Anybody who screwed up a renewal obviously failed to follow the instructions.

Nevertheless, I'll we can use you're allegory. I'll take 12 of those broken chairs, please. I can use my computer and my hands too. I started out in construction and built my own home at 30. I'll make 9 good chairs out of those broken 12, sell them for three times what I paid for them and use the rest as firewood. Now I've made a profit and I'm warm too. You're on the floor wondering why you keep falling off that stupid, three legged chairs.

So what's the point?

Griping isn't going to change a thing. 900,000 people use Registerfly (supposedly), you'd think we would be able to figure it out. Doesn't anyone have some solutions to these problems. Isn't there anybody who knows some tricks? Solutions and problem solving: That's what's interesting. I'm looking for answers, not rehashed and regurgitated problems. Gripesites bore me to death.

Last edited:
•••
well if the chair is broken when you buy it then the design sucks...mind you using the Regfly construction as firewood is a good idea. PS... most domainers don't want a D.I.Y. flat pack assembly with half the screws missing, but hey everybody needs a hobby! so good luck.....

•••
bionichead said:
Gripesites bore me to death.

We are so sorry we "bore you to death"......

I am going to continue to post what my experiences have been with this company whether it bores you or not....
Hopefully it prevents others from having to make these "boring" posts.

I deal with dozens of registrars and RegisterFly is single-handedly...without a doubt...no equal...the absolute worst....
I assume that has just bored you to tears...

Anyone reading this who is not "bored to death"....avoid RegisterFly at all costs.

'nuf said...

•••
Registerfly isn’t the best domain registrar around, hard to use and my DNS havn’t updated after 3 days and all the information was correct.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back