REGISTERFLY selling NEW.NET Extentions?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
REGISTERFLY selling NEW.NET Extentions?

thats news for me!

why would tey do that?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Re: REGISTERFLY selling NEW.NET Extentions?

Originally posted by jane118
why would tey do that?

.. to get your money :sick:

•••
See the article on dnjournal.com . There is an interview with new.net CEO

•••
Re: Re: REGISTERFLY selling NEW.NET Extentions?

Originally posted by danielu
.. to get your money :sick:

i agree with danielu ... i had no idea of the new.net until a few days ago i thought they were just new exts just like .com until i came here and found out they are totally different . i think what they are trying to do is get people to buy them who have no idea what the new.net is ... which IMO is a pretty crappy deal to sell them domains right next to the .com .net .org .us .info .... and pass them off like that .... there should be a domain lemon law :lol:

•••
lol. Alot of companies are taking interest in the new.net extensions. Even tho I do no like them I think they have a bright future ahead of them.

•••
Its not real domains .. what if one day ICANN decided to use .shop or something, then what happens to the people that registered their name with new.net? would they be able to keep their domain or what.

I say "Keep your money for a real domain".

•••
wouldnt it just be like a sub domain?

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy
wouldnt it just be like a sub domain?

Not quite.

A sub domain will be resolved by everyone on the internet ( as long as the DNS records were set up correctly ).

However the new.net names WILL NOT BE RESOLVED by a vast majority of people on the net.

This is a rough estimate but for every 1000 people that try to view your site or send you e-mail to your new.net domain I would be surprised if 1 got through.

For anyone to view the sites you either have to instal a special plug in to your browser ( unlike something like macromedia or flash it will not ask you to instal it, but will just return an error ), or your ISP has to have made serious changes to their Name Servers that resolve addresses.

One of our clients looked at these domains when they first came out and contacted us about making the changes in our servers, we had to refuse because of the changes needed ( by the way the client is still with us and has let all the new.net domains expire as they were worthless ).

I will try and dig out the records to let you know when we first became aware of them. To be honest for about a year I had forgotten they existed ... gives you an idea of how popular they are.

All the best.

Richard

Just looked up my records and it was back in mid 2001 we first got involved with the domains. I don't have exact details as records for that era are on an old computer that is off line :)

At that time it was starting to get noticed, and have not really heard of them since. Anyone know a 'busy' domain ?

Seems to me that they were claiming similar figures for the reach that they do now, wonder if they take into account the users / companies that have removed or upgraded and not re-installed their software ?

All the best

Richard

All the best.

Richard

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back