Domain Empire

question Registered Domain listed for sale without my knowledge

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Maybe someone can tell me how a domain I originated and registered at Epik....preventademic.xxx shows up @ Namecheap for sale for $6,000. I haven't contacted Namecheap yet, but am wondering if anything nefarious is happening?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because someone has listed it at Afternic.

•••
Upvote 0
Just like Jannes said, NameCheap is a partnering registrar with Afternic. That means if someone lists their domain for sale on Afternic, it will appear on all their partnering registrars, including NameCheap, GoDaddy, DynaDot, and Others.

Someone previously owned the name, listed it on Afternic, and then forgot to remove it after they let it expire. If someone were to try and buy that name through NameCheap the sale wouldn't go through. You can contact Afternic and show proof you own the domain (a screenshot of it inside your Epik account) and ask them to remove the listing. They will, and then it won't appear in the NameCheap search anymore. You'll have to do this anyways if you plan on listing it inside your own Afternic account. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Yes, it could be innocent.
The alternative is that someone sells your domain at $6000 and then buys the domain from you for $3000 and pockets the difference...

•••
Upvote 0
Yes, it could be innocent.
The alternative is that someone sells your domain at $6000 and then buys the domain from you for $3000 and pockets the difference...
This is also definitely a possibility, and I had never even thought of it before. A bit sneaky and a little messed up. I always list my names on Afternic after buying/registering them, so if any are listed I get them removed right away. Now I'm wondering how many people have names they don't own listed on there simply because they forgot to remove them, and how many are hoping to do exactly what you described..

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back