Domain Empire

Register.to Owner Has Died

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I got this from Tonic.to after I wrote them:
With reference to your recent enquiry, we regret to advise that following the recent death of the owner, Register.to no longer functions and is no longer a reseller of Tonic. Tonic has no information concerning the financial affairs of Register.to.

I only have a couple of .TO names, but I know others have many.

To renew or transfer your names you will need to write to [email protected], which is how I found out that the owner had died.
They will create passwords at their site and allow you to manage your names, which you can't do at Register.

If you have a monetary balance at Register.to, then I have no idea how to handle that.
I only have a $100 balance, so if I figure out something I'll post here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's sad, I checked their platform at least once a month for the past 3-4 years. RIP.

•••
Yeah, I read about this on TLD-List's Twitter a month ago... RIP.

•••
•••
I wonder why they became defunct just because of one man... It still exists. Obviously if there's nobody at the helm then something would need to be arranged, but just all of a sudden not being a reseller anymore just cause the company owner died seems strange??

•••
I wonder why they became defunct just because of one man... It still exists. Obviously if there's nobody at the helm then something would need to be arranged, but just all of a sudden not being a reseller anymore just cause the company owner died seems strange??

As an owner of a small business, if I died there is literally no one to replace me. I don't know how his organisation was structured, but it's possible he was essentially a one-man-band.

For me, I'm essentially the only member of staff, and I rely on contractors to undertake some work when I don't have the capacity.

Last edited:
•••
As an owner of a small business, if I died there is literally no one to replace me. I don't know how his organisation was structured, but it's possible he was essentially a one-man-band.

For me, I'm essentially the only member of staff, and I rely on contractors to undertake some work when I don't have the capacity.
Same with me, but you'd think that with something like domains that you'd have to provide a guarantee that you're going to have someone available to manage your business if you pop it in order to get accredited?

•••
Same with me, but you'd think that with something like domains that you'd have to provide a guarantee that you're going to have someone available to manage your business if you pop it in order to get accredited?
True.

But then I think some of my customers might feel the same :)

•••
Just like Voodoo, haven't heard anything for a long long time

•••
I have an LLL dictionary .to domain at the register where he just died. Should I try to transfer-out?

•••
I have an LLL dictionary .to domain at the register where he just died. Should I try to transfer-out?
I opened a case at register dot to. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear back from the ticket, if they give auth. code I'll move it to namecheap. I really think them not giving key in the control panel is a pain. If it weren't for the error I wouldn't have had to contact register.

•••
I opened a case at register dot to. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear back from the ticket, if they give auth. code I'll move it to namecheap. I really think them not giving key in the control panel is a pain. If it weren't for the error I wouldn't have had to contact register.
I don't have information beyond this and social media, but it seems that register.to was a reseller for tonic, and, some report, register to is not responding, so note this instruction from earlier in thread re what to do. I hope it works smoothly for you, and all with .to domains, Daniel.

"To renew or transfer your names you will need to write to [email protected], which is how I found out that the owner had died. They will create passwords at their site and allow you to manage your names, which you can't do at Register."

Last edited:
•••
I don't have information beyond this and social media, but it seems that register.to was a reseller for tonic, and, some report, register to is not responding, so note this instruction from earlier in thread re what to do. I hope it works smoothly for you, and all with .to domains, Daniel.

"To renew or transfer your names you will need to write to [email protected], which is how I found out that the owner had died. They will create passwords at their site and allow you to manage your names, which you can't do at Register."
I don't want to manage them at tonic I want to get key to move to namecheap I think if they move it to tonic I will be blocked from transfer-out. However, if it is free to move to tonic it might be worth it, as transfer-out price is almost $40.

•••
the domain is (G) (O) (D) so it's a decent domain.

•••

This is one of the main reasons for the hefty financial requirements to become an ICANN accredited registrar. Imagine if anyone could spin up a registrar service? In this case from what I've read, this was just a reseller. Still sad none the less.

Take this as a warning to all of my fellow business owners... a trust with clear guidance on who is running what will let you rest easy in the after life :D

•••
He's dead.

•••
He's dead.
I know but depending on how many people answer support tickets I shall try to get auth. code. I need to move it out, but yeah maybe support died too. I also emailed the tonic email.

•••
I mentioned this in my initial post:
To renew or transfer your names you will need to write to [email protected], which is how I found out that the owner had died. They will create passwords at their site and allow you to manage your names, which you can't do at Register.

•••
I got the auth. code for the .to domain and transfer-out only took about 2 minutes after I put code in so that is amazing. What is interesting is their was no expedite option I guess it's just automatic with that. If it weren't such a decent 3L .to I wouldn't have paid $29.98. I think I'll hold (g)(o)(d) for a bit longer. Glad I got out of the register .to mess. Just curious if anyone here had to move out like 10 .to domains and if their was a bulk discount?

•••
I got the auth. code for the .to domain and transfer-out only took about 2 minutes after I put code in so that is amazing. What is interesting is their was no expedite option I guess it's just automatic with that. If it weren't such a decent 3L .to I wouldn't have paid $29.98. I think I'll hold (g)(o)(d) for a bit longer. Glad I got out of the register .to mess. Just curious if anyone here had to move out like 10 .to domains and if their was a bulk discount?
I had like 6 or 7 and that's gonna cost $40 per. We need to get those auctions popping off again. Also, I have lucifer .to. Polar opposites

•••
I had like 6 or 7 and that's gonna cost $40 per. We need to get those auctions popping off again. Also, I have lucifer .to. Polar opposites
Yeah. I prefer namecheap over register.to anyways. Easier if I get an buyer for it, to just push to a namecheap than that odd register. Yeah, $40 per would be insane $29.98 was bad enough. It has to be a real gem to justify renewing those pups.

•••
Yeah. I prefer namecheap over register.to anyways. Easier if I get an buyer for it, to just push to a namecheap than that odd register. Yeah, $40 per would be insane $29.98 was bad enough. It has to be a real gem to justify renewing those pups.
Not sure why you fail to speak in the past tense.

•••
I mentioned this in my initial post:
To renew or transfer your names you will need to write to [email protected], which is how I found out that the owner had died. They will create passwords at their site and allow you to manage your names, which you can't do at Register.
I had 4 names at Register.To and did a regular transfer to Namecheap (like I would any domain) and it worked. I didn't have to contact anyone at Tonic. Not sure if this was the exception or the rule.

•••
I had 4 names at Register.To and did a regular transfer to Namecheap (like I would any domain) and it worked. I didn't have to contact anyone at Tonic. Not sure if this was the exception or the rule.
I had to contact them and get some some codes to login and then get auth. code. Odd you didn't have to maybe it's a recent thing.

•••
I had to contact them and get some some codes to login and then get auth. code. Odd you didn't have to maybe it's a recent thing.
I transferred a few weeks ago. Maybe it's a registrar-specific thing, like Namecheap.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back