Dynadot

Register.com transfer fee?

Spaceship
Watch
I have purchased a name and now the owner is telling me that Register charges a $200 fee for ownedship transfers.

Has or does anyone used Register.com?

Do they really charge a $200. fee for transfers of ownership? No "push" available!

If this is the case, how do they compete with the other registers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
D-: Quoted from the Register.com Help page (link below) on transfers.

How much does it cost and who is responsible for the fee?

There is a $200 processing fee for transferring the registrant of a domain name. This fee can be paid by the current or prospective (new) registrant or by a third party.
However, if the current registrant or a third party subsequently cancels a charge or their billing fails, the prospective (new) registrant will be held responsible for any unpaid fees.

Daylight robbery if you ask me - this is just a complete and utter con - make sure that the seller isn't actually the owner of register.com Robertjr

Sorry to be the one to confirm the bad news

register.Con transfer fee

Why not ask him to transfer it out to another registrar - it doesn't look as if they have a fee for this although they probably have as a catch all in the fee above - you could set him up with a free enom account and then ask him to transfer it there so that the actual registrant is not changing - once safely in the enom account, simply get him to push it to your account - a bit of hassle but if you are going to pay the $200 fee, I will do the above for you for $150USD :lol:

Last edited:
•••
You can inititiate a transfer out of Register.com, to a cheaper registrar. Then simply ask the current owner to confirm the transfer out.

Register.com's relevant FAQ here - http://www.register.com//faq/transfer-away.cgi?1

Transfer out is different from transfer of ownership, and I don't see any mention of a transfer out fee.

•••
Righto.
I've had lots of domains at Register.com ... which I've subsequently "pulled" to Enom. Cost would be only your typical $8.95 Reseller registration/renewal fee and takes approx. 48 - 72 hours. Access (and/or some type of arrangement with the owner) to the existing Admin. E-mail address is critical for completion.
They don't have "free pushes", but if you get stuck in the process above ... the owner can call Register.com and have the domain decompanionated from its existing account (I would use this as a second/last resort to the above).
All the best! :talk:
B-)

•••
•••
•••
Originally posted by armstrong
You can inititiate a transfer out of Register.com, to a cheaper registrar. Then simply ask the current owner to confirm the transfer out.

GREAT SUGGESTION!

The seller is working with me on it! :)

Saving me :$:200:$:

Hmm.....Think I should buy some NP$ with the money I saved??? :hehe:

•••
Hard to believe Register.com can do business with huge fees like that!

•••
:bingo:Domain is TRANSFERED!!!!!! :gn:

I know all the NP'rs out there that provided help and support have been waiting the hear it! Best of all,Register.com did not get the $200.

Thank you to everyone for the help,
Robert

•••
:bingo:

Great to hear, Robert ... and thanks everyone for the inputs.
B-)

•••
Originally posted by robertjr
:bingo:Domain is TRANSFERED!!!!!! :gn:

I know all the NP'rs out there that provided help and support have been waiting the hear it! Best of all,Register.com did not get the $200.

Thank you to everyone for the help,
Robert

Glad to hear it, Robert. You're most welcome. :tu:

•••
glad it worked out for you robertjr - great news

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back