Dynadot

Register.com domain not dropping

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DU

Secret SantaTop Member
Impact
There is a name that I was trying to acquire for someone that matches their business (they have the .net).

I stupidly wasn't paying attention and missed the auction at Namejet (by one day) thinking that Register.com domains when for pre-release at SnapNames.

No one bid the name (it's not worth anything except to the business as it's kind of a play on words like TextualHealing). So I've been waiting for it to drop but register.com appears to have renewed it.

The expiry was back in January so it's been over the full 72 day cycle and it still shows expiring next year.

Registration Owner is "Register.com" [email protected]

The page is a simple "Coming Soon" page. Is this name going to drop? Why did they keep it (no traffic, no search etc) ? And if I inquired into a price would I basically be making the name unattainable?

Budget would be low-mid $xxx as the .net is fine.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So.... 163 views

1. 10 read one line and left
  2. 20 read it and didn't know
  3. 18 read it and knew but didn't feel like telling me
  4. 50 are bots
  5. 20 was one person coming in repeatedly to see if there was an answer
  6. 1 was johname
  7. 1 was briguy
  8. 1 was iowadawg
  9. Not sure on the other 40

Any views?

•••
maybe all u need to do is call them for it..
pay some retrieval fees i assume... maybe someone else can shred more light on it

•••
What does the whois say ?
Domains from register.com are available as prerelease from snapnames. Perhaps the domain is eligible and can still be secured.

•••
I was waiting at SnapNames because I read that's where they went but apparently Register switched to Namejet this year.

03/04/13 - unsold 1 month 7 days ago at NameJet (highest preorder: $69, expired domain)

This has now been expired for 2 1/2 months and the registrant is Register.com
I don't feel like waiting a year and I am 100% certain that no one else will want it - taken only in .COM and .NET and was parked on .COM for 4 years.

Registrant:
Register.com
Domain Registrar
12808 Gran Bay Parkway West
Jacksonville, FL 32258
US
Phone: +1.9027492701
Email:

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: xxxx
Created on..............: 2005-01-28
Expires on..............: 2014-01-28

Administrative Contact:
Register.com
Domain Registrar
12808 Gran Bay Parkway West
Jacksonville, FL 32258
US
Email:

Technical Contact:
Registercom
Domain Registrar
12808 Gran Bay Pkwy
West Jacksonville, FL 32258
US
Email:

DNS Servers:
sk.s5.ans2.ns121.ztomy.com
sk.s5.ans1.ns121.ztomy.com

Thanks SDS.. you're my favorite member here for a reason. I'm really struggling with "i eat cat food, meow mix"

•••
What strikes me about your post is your statement that "... I am 100% certain that no one else will want it ...." Your statement may be true, but you fail to share the name with us, leaving me to believe you don't trust your fellow members here, even though you ask for their advice and/or knowledge. My personal feeling is that you are CORRECT to not trust all members here, and obviously you feel the same. Your post is huge in that context, and demonstrates how even some fellow members here view domainers as opportunistic parasites.

Thanks for the eye-opener.

•••
What strikes me about your post is your statement that "... I am 100% certain that no one else will want it ...." Your statement may be true, but you fail to share the name with us, leaving me to believe you don't trust your fellow members here, even though you ask for their advice and/or knowledge. My personal feeling is that you are CORRECT to not trust all members here, and obviously you feel the same. Your post is huge in that context, and demonstrates how even some fellow members here view domainers as opportunistic parasites.

Thanks for the eye-opener.

It's called poetic license.

I can say that most domainers looking for searches, keywords, and using traffic and backlink tools would not have this name on their primary list of interest. Based on age (5-6 years or so) and development history (none) the .com doesn't stand up to most domainer's smell test. If it was seen however, it's interesting enough to be interesting to people. It wouldl for example be something wordsmith might be interested in.

The domaining community is full of vultures, scumbags, liars and unethical opportunistic parasites. There are also great people people who are the antithesis of that. This is no different that you'd find in an examination of any population of people.

•••
The actual domain name is unimportant.
This thread can be seen by anybody, including bots. You don't have to be a member, just saying.

I know that register.com sometimes keep expired domains, and they are not alone. Not every expiring domain will make it to prerelease auctions.

The domain might still be in grace period. Auctions often start 35 days past expiry. You may have missed this step. So maybe the domain is now going to enter redemption status soon. Or not.

I suggest that you keep monitoring the domain for possible status changes, especially in the new few days.
I would keep a backorder at both SN & NJ just in case.

•••
Thanks. Ill just keep looking though I wasn't aware of such a large window and the domain resolves to a "just registered" default page.

I'm sure someone could find the name with the whois provided .. but I'm sure its not worth the effort. (No NJ bids :))

My fear is of course that I misjudged and it did get a NJ bid but just hasn't been updated yet.

Thx.

•••
The domaining community is full of vultures, scumbags, liars and unethical opportunistic parasites. There are also great people people who are the antithesis of that. This is no different that you'd find in an examination of any population of people.

I agree with you. Problem is, you don't differentiate between the two types of domainers. How in the world can we give proper advice without the full story? We cannot.

When you trust us enough to give us the full story, perhaps more of us will chime in with valuable advice. If you're afraid of losing the domain to opportunistic domainers, then your original comments stating no one would really want the domain anyway is misleading.

Anyway, good luck to you.

•••
Problem is, you don't differentiate between the two types of domainers. How in the world can we give proper advice without the full story? We cannot.
Who said there were two? And how does my method of differentiation of types of people matter here?

If I were to provide the name what additional input or advice would that enable you to provide?

If you're afraid of losing the domain to opportunistic domainers, then your original comments stating no one would really want the domain anyway is misleading.

Posting the name here would have immediately materially affected the perceived value of the name to any third party. I would have thought that obvious.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Thanks.

•••
The expiry was back in January so it's been over the full 72 day cycle and it still shows expiring next year.
I've been in a similar situation with a .US domain I back ordered. It was suppose to go to auction since I had the bo, but failed to do so (which I am kind of glad). However, it's at 77 days as of today and up until yesterday, did Neustar report that the name was recoverable. My understanding is that it should have at least been released to the public at this point.

EDIT--->It hit my account about 3.25hrs after this post.

Last edited:
•••
EDIT--->It hit my account about 3.25hrs after this post.

Sorry that you won your name :)

I'm pretty sure it's registered by register.com because Verisign shows it as renewed (which is expected as they auto renew it) but it never changed to redemption/pending delete at th registrar and it shows there as expiring in 2014.

It's not a big deal except it sucks that register.com keeps the name.

•••
Even though the delivery was flawed I'm very happy.

I use Karen's WhoIs and it also showed a 2014 expiration, but when you scroll down it shows the domain's valid expiration. Same thing with some of my expiring names. Karen's shows like above, but some place like Name whois shows the name without my contact, but expiring next year while said name is still in my account and renewable.

I don't know. Maybe they do this with folks that have x number of names. Anyway that's the longest I have had to wait and the longest I've seen it designated recoverable via Neustar's whois.

BTW Mine expired one day earlier than yours. Is there a last Updated Date?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back