Epik Escrow

Redirect to hotels.com?

Located in Domain Parking and Traffic Monetization started by DrJacoby, Jan 20, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. DrJacoby

DrJacoby Established Member

I have a domain that was previously used by a hotel/lodge in the US, and it's getting a few visits a day. Is it worth redirecting the domain to hotels.com or to another similar website?

I have never tried redirecting through an affiliate program so any input from experienced domainers are greatly appreciated.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Check the terms, some companies don't allow redirects. If the traffic is real, not bots, I expect it would be worth it.

3. DrJacoby

The traffic is real, but only 2-5 visits a day.

4. wesley sweatman

wesley sweatman durfer VIP

wow, is that possible? Didn't think of that. hmmm

5. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

2 commissions per month is better than 0 commissions per month. You can still list the name for sale.

6. IMEZI

IMEZI Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

rebuild it!!!
    if you dare to redirect it, within a month or two the visitor will be forever gone

7. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If the domain looks like generic ("best hotels" dot something) - and implies hotel-related content - then monetizing it using affiliate scheme makes sense. You will earn more $$$ (vs. pure parking).

If the domain may be considered as a TM (registered or not) in connection with any specific hotel related business ("my hilton" dot something) - and by itself does not imply hotel-related content - then monetizing it using hotel related stuff is the last thing one may elect to do. Bad faith. UDRP. Risk of not being paid by aff. program. Etc, etc, etc.

With adblockers becoming de-facto standard for surfers, using classic affiliate links (provided by networks like commission junction etc) is not recommened. Many visitors will not be able to visit it, as the destination link would be instantly blocked. Workaround: white label affiliate program. I beleive there are a lot of white labels especially in travel-hotels-tickets niche. Your domain will become a separate website (hosted by aff. program) and the visitors will be tracked without cookies and without any "adblockable" stuff.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. namemarket

namemarket Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Many affiliate programs I am familiar with will not accept you with such low traffic. Even if they do, after they look at stats will often close the account unless they see traffic and clicks. It can take about 200 to 400 visits to get 1 click so with 3 visits a day its a long time, maybe 2 to 4 months or so.

Amazon.com routinely does that and I suspect closes far more accounts than they keep. I am sure other big sites also do that but not sure why since a little traffic is better vs no traffic from affiliates however they do not seem to care and only desire high traffic affiliates for some odd reason. Anyone here know why?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. DrJacoby

I used to build websites until recently, and it's not for me, so I won't rebuild it. I prefer to keep things as simple as possible, and focus on domaining. But redirecting traffic could maybe be a solution...

10. DrJacoby

That sounds interesting! Which white label program is best in your opinion?

Ok, good to know.

Yeah, I've used Amazon a lot and they are pretty quick to close your account if you're not generating any traffic or revenue.

11. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Active Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Sorry, I did not try anything in this niche. I just remember when I was looking for a whitelabel solution in a completely different niche, there were a lot of (too many) travel-related whitelabel offers in searches which I had to "filter out"...

12. Fancy.domains

Fancy.domains Selling gTLDs like delicious hotcakes Gold Account VIP

I’ve been in this hotel affiliate thing for 20 years and I would be very surprised if you get more than 0-5 confirmed bookings a year. This was easy in 2000, not now.

But why not give it a try?! I would be happy if you prove me wrong.

13. DrJacoby

Well, I would be happy too. :xf.smile:

In your opinion, what would be the best affiliate program to use when redirecting the domain?

14. Fancy.domains

Fancy.domains Selling gTLDs like delicious hotcakes Gold Account VIP

Probably a white label solution, and if not available, maybe Booking.com. But as @namemarket mentioned, it MIGHT not be worth it. On the other hand, it only takes a few minutes to sign up for an account.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: