IT.COM

discuss Reddit user calls someone a squatter for listing a domain for sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
It never ceases to amaze me when people call a domain name owner a squatter just because they own a domain name.
It’s like getting mad at someone when you drive down the street, find the “perfect” house, and then realize – someone else owns the house, but they’re not living there, it’s investment property. Could you imagine calling the owner a squatter because they bought investment property? Yes, it’s 2017 and people have been buying digital real estate for more than 20 years now and they’re not all squatters.
To me this really shows just how early we still are in the world of domain names. As we evolve, I just hope people start to learn the real difference between a squatter and an investor, because the two really couldn’t be more different...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Outside of domaining circles, most people don't care for domainers. I don't see that ever changing.

Last edited:
•••
The term is being misused you'd be a squatter if you were not the owner but lived in it without paying. Besides they can't squat in your property and claim squatters rights, which is probably why the term is all skewed and used as the complete opposite of it's actual meaning.

•••
believe me when i say dominer are saver, they acquire domain and they keep it for the right user to build a great biz with it, simply because there is some person like this gentleman, they have no idea what the real value of domains, he want to owne 1 word for fun, he can use it for illegitimate website and the domain will destroyed and forget forever.

•••
The term is being misused you'd be a squatter if you were not the owner but lived in it without paying. Besides they can't squat in your property and claim squatters rights, which is probably why the term is all skewed and used as the complete opposite of it's actual meaning.
Sounds about right.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back