Dynadot

question Received meta TM issue . Advice needed

NameSilo
Watch

AIS01

Top Member
Impact
I registered a domain few days ago. Received this tm issue today. Advice needed. What should I do ?

I think it's fake

Mail Sender - [email protected]

Here is the mail -

" To Whom It May Concern,

We are writing concerning your registration and use of the domain name *****.com, which contains the Meta trademark.

As you are undoubtedly aware, on October 28, 2021, Facebook, Inc. announced that its name has been changed to Meta Platforms, Inc. (“Meta”). Meta is now the owner of well-known offerings and brands including Facebook, Instagram, Quest and WhatsApp. As part of this corporate rebrand, Meta made a substantial investment in developing its Meta name and trademark and as a result of this, Meta instantly received international recognition.

Accordingly, we were concerned when we learned of your registration and use of ****. As we hope you can appreciate, protection of our trademarks is very important to us. Your registration and use of ****".com violates the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) because it infringes the Meta trademark.

Infringement occurs when a third party’s use of a company’s trademark (or a confusingly similar variation thereof) is likely to confuse consumers as to the affiliation, sponsorship, or endorsement of the third party’s services.

We have filed several proceedings before the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel to protect our trademarks and brands. Meta has consistently prevailed in these cases and the domain names at issue were ordered to be transferred to Meta. We are concerned that your unauthorized use of the Meta name may cause confusion as to whether you or your company’s activities are authorized, endorsed or sponsored by Meta when, in fact, they are not.

We understand that you may have registered *****.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. However, we are concerned about your use of the Meta trademark in your domain name. As you may know, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 per domain name) against persons who, without authorization, use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes another’s trademark.

While Meta respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, Meta must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable trademark. For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, Meta must insist that you immediately stop using *****.com, and transfer the domain name to Meta within 7 business days. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you.

Sincerely,

Meta IP & DNS Enforcement Group
Legal Dept.
Meta Platforms, Inc.

_Any personal data collected by Appdetex and used to identify individuals for the purpose of this communication have been done in accordance with applicable privacy laws and the Appdetex Privacy Policy available at: https://www.appdetex.com/legal/privacy-policy.

Certain information provided herein may be confidential and/or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately and do not deliver, distribute or copy this transmission, disclose its contents, or take any other action in reliance upon or as a result of the information it contains."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From a couple of years ago - to do with with WhatsApp but similar email format - the layout/wording if different but again was from 2 years ago

App***tex is a real Brand Protection company though........

Worth looking into more closely If I were you

Edited above

Last edited:
•••
•••
I believe you dont have much options, especially if there is meta beside FB or similar from old brands under umbrella of Meta. Next question is, do you have it parked and ads are shown? If there is yes and the ads for meta or social platforms are showing, this is a strong indication of TM infringement... I can not say without knowing the name, but usually they get 99+% of the UDRP cases.

•••
I believe you dont have much options, especially if there is meta beside FB or similar from old brands under umbrella of Meta. Next question is, do you have it parked and ads are shown? If there is yes and the ads for meta or social platforms are showing, this is a strong indication of TM infringement... I can not say without knowing the name, but usually they get 99+% of the UDRP cases.
As a domainer i parked it on dan for sale . like everyone did.
But my doubt 🧐 is there is no trademark issued for the right domain but issued for me while i am not using the exact name

Last edited:
•••
But sender is enfappdatex.com

So, i thought
Odd - But it is definitely the same as the WhatsApp example and they shut down the App in question....

As I said look into it more closely - even contact Appdetex without revealing your details and ask if it is a legitimate notice from "en****tex.com"

Last edited:
•••
Odd - But it is definitely the same as the WhatsApp example and they shut down the App in question....

As I said look into it more closely - even contact Appdetex without revealing your details and ask if it is a legitimate notice from "enfappdatex.com"
Good point . Will do. Thanks 👍

•••
Do a whois on the enf domain. Looks like a legit correspondence. Without knowing the name, hard to know how strong a case they have, but that seems to be a legit email

•••
Do a whois on the enf domain. Looks like a legit correspondence. Without knowing the name, hard to know how strong a case they have, but that seems to be a legit email
Checked too & asked appdetex.com too . Waiting for their reply

Domain name is - dm me

Last edited:
•••
Sh+t - Just realised........Delete the domain and I will delete my links - hopefully in time not to be indexed - they are a Brand Protection Company after all :xf.smile:

•••
Sh+t - Just realised........Delete the domain and I will delete my links - hopefully in time not to be indexed - they are a Brand Protection Company after all :xf.smile:
👍

•••
You need to delete that domain. It is a blatant trademark issue.

•••
•••
I registered a domain few days ago. Received this tm issue today. Advice needed. What should I do ?

I think it's fake

Here is the mail -

We are writing concerning your registration and use of the domain name *****.com, which contains the Meta trademark.

As you are undoubtedly aware, on October 28, 2021, Facebook, Inc. announced that its name has been changed to Meta Platforms, Inc. (“Meta”). Meta is now the owner of well-known offerings and brands including Facebook, Instagram, Quest and WhatsApp. As part of this corporate rebrand, Meta made a substantial investment in developing its Meta name and trademark and as a result of this, Meta instantly received international recognition.

Accordingly, we were concerned when we learned of your registration and use of ****. As we hope you can appreciate, protection of our trademarks is very important to us. Your registration and use of ****".com violates the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) because it infringes the Meta trademark.

Infringement occurs when a third party’s use of a company’s trademark (or a confusingly similar variation thereof) is likely to confuse consumers as to the affiliation, sponsorship, or endorsement of the third party’s services.

We have filed several proceedings before the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel to protect our trademarks and brands. Meta has consistently prevailed in these cases and the domain names at issue were ordered to be transferred to Meta. We are concerned that your unauthorized use of the Meta name may cause confusion as to whether you or your company’s activities are authorized, endorsed or sponsored by Meta when, in fact, they are not.

We understand that you may have registered *****.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. However, we are concerned about your use of the Meta trademark in your domain name. As you may know, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 per domain name) against persons who, without authorization, use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes another’s trademark.

While Meta respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, Meta must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable trademark. For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, Meta must insist that you immediately stop using *****.com, and transfer the domain name to Meta within 7 business days. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you.

Sincerely,

Legal Dept.
Meta Platforms, Inc.

_Any personal data collected by Appdetex and used to identify individuals for the purpose of this communication have been done in accordance with applicable privacy laws and the Appdetex Privacy Policy available at: https://www.appdetex.com/legal/privacy-policy.

Certain information provided herein may be confidential and/or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately and do not deliver, distribute or copy this transmission, disclose its contents, or take any other action in reliance upon or as a result of the information it contains."

FB does not control META, they bought the .com

It's a dictionary word and a tech word used in programming

If it's real, counter sue and get a TM lawyer who would love to crush FB

•••
Is this who you are worried about?

Attachments

• icann.JPG
    icann.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 374
•••
Last edited:
•••
You made a typo (a -> e).

Copy & paste FTW, I guess.

It still looks fraudulent. I found an identical issue on GD forum here:

godaddy.com/s/question/0D58W00007E5uExSAJ/i-purchased-a-domain-in-the-name-whatsappua-and-i-received-a-message-from-an-email-following-whatsapp-telling-me-that-i-violated-their-trademark-and-that-i-should-transfer-the-domain-to-them-so-that-i-would-not-be-charged-with-a-penalty-of-up-to-100000

Last edited:
•••

I think it's fake

Here is the mail -

Sincerely,

Legal Dept.
Meta Platforms, Inc.

Without knowing the actual domain you registered, there's no way of knowing the likelihood of potential infringement. It depends a lot on the actual classes of their trademark and how likely a customer would be confused by your domain and those specific use classes. So if you registered metafart.com, that's gonna be a less likely case of confusion / infringement than if you registered metasocial.com.

Last edited:
•••
It's a scam ....they can't claim the term meta

•••
Facebook doesn’t have just the extensions they have many meta trademarks now and nobody should be registering Meta after Zuck’s announcement last October.

•••
The OP posted the domain for a few minutes. It contains two words that are both trademarked by FB with an additional letter preceding them. When you put them together like that, it is a pretty blatant infringement. He needs to transfer or delete. For the name in question, it wouldn't even be worth a fight.

•••
FB does not control META, they bought the .com

It's a dictionary word and a tech word used in programming

If it's real, counter sue and get a TM lawyer who would love to crush FB
And of course 'you' will fund that TM lawyer for him, that will end up eventually losing, right?? :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Much as im childish and laugh because it has the word fapp in it, and that would make me automatically think this is a scam, if you put email enfappdetex.com into google, you will see this page indexed (good job you guys removed all other info in time), a couple of whatsapp emails and then a spotify and uber one. appdetex.com is a company that auto detects trademark infringements. I would say by the inclusion of spotify and uber and that there are no pages screaming its a scam (which happens with most scam emails), then I reckon its real.
As someone said, double check the email address directly with the company to confirm.
If you had meta before fb trademarked it, then you are good, if you bought it after, then I would say you are on shaky ground unless you have developed it (I am not legally qualified!!).

•••
Facebook doesn’t have just the extensions they have many meta trademarks now and nobody should be registering Meta after Zuck’s announcement last October.
There is lots of recent reg. Meta sales you can check in namebio dropcatch sales.

•••
Much as im childish and laugh because it has the word fapp in it, and that would make me automatically think this is a scam, if you put email enfappdetex.com into google, you will see this page indexed (good job you guys removed all other info in time), a couple of whatsapp emails and then a spotify and uber one. appdetex.com is a company that auto detects trademark infringements. I would say by the inclusion of spotify and uber and that there are no pages screaming its a scam (which happens with most scam emails), then I reckon its real.
As someone said, double check the email address directly with the company to confirm.
If you had meta before fb trademarked it, then you are good, if you bought it after, then I would say you are on shaky ground unless you have developed it (I am not legally qualified!!).
I checked & email the company too. Check my next message for their reply

•••
Back