Dynadot

Rebranding Website - Round 2

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I still haven't finally decided on my rebranding of DNStore.com. I'm not afraid of rebranding (maybe I should be). Because I'll just point DNStore.com to whatever I choose to rebrand to. Let's start with why I want to rebrand. Several domainers have told me that end-users haven't a clue what DN stands for, and I should probably choose a domain with "domain" in the name and with a 2nd word which suggest selling domains. This sounds all well and good, except there are really none available to register, or are priced too expensively. I've kinda shortlisted 4 domains, which don't actually follow all suggestions which have been made. These are STUB.ORG, STUUB.COM, STUBWEB.COM, NAMETRADER.COM. So let's discuss these 4 domains.

STUB.ORG. I recently purchased this from a very top domainer. It wasn't cheap. How much does it matter that it's not the .COM, which is in use in the entertainment ticketing business? The .NET is for sale for about $25k. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of using STUB.ORG as my domains for sale website, replacing DNStore.com? Pros: It's my name on NP's and an abbreviation of my real name. It's short and to the point. It doesn't address the problem of not including Domain & Sales in the domain name, which started all this searching for a new name. How much does that matter? I think it's very brandable.

STUUB.COM. I purchased this from another domainer about 4 years ago. A true brandable with the same qualities as STUB.ORG, except it is a .COM. If that is important. Does that make it a better choice than STUB.ORG?

STUBWEB.COM. I purchased this in the drops about 4 years ago also. A 2 word brandable, with my keyword+WEB. Several top domainers are using "Domain(s)+Web".com (which obviously are not available). This only partially links the domain to selling domains on the WEB. It's a COM also.

NAMETRADER.COM - I purchased this domain some 15+years ago. This definitely fits the bill of clearly identifying what to expect from the domain. Although it uses the considerably lower form of "NAME" replacing the word "DOMAIN" according to one top domainer, I spoke with. I couldn't find any available domain which implied selling domains with the use of "NAME" available for registration or purchase at a reasonable cost. Not a brandable.

I would stress this is a shortlist. I have several .COM domains with 1 or 2 letters in front of or behind STUB. I have domains like STUBDOMAINS.COM, which might be a good fit/compromise. But I kinda preferred something shorter, and brandable. I have several NGTLDs with the word "DOMAIN(S).+NGTLD. Reasonably good NGTLD's. But I didn't consider them viable, because of thinking about .COM being almost a must. I'm not really sure how many end-users who would know of these NGTLDs, yet. I have and considered several DOMAINSALESxxxx.com but I figured you could die before the completing the domain in your browser :):):)

My personal preference is in the order they are listed. But it is a tight decision between all of them. I'd like to here your comments about each of these names and the one you would choose. And why.

rgds
stu

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I'm planning a lite makeover, all on the front-end. I would be very interest to hear why you don't trust my website? Is it because it too barren. Or something else?
Yes, too barren, for example, the color combination can be better, have a look at the bottom right you have About, ToS, it is just too bright on the light grey transparent background, I can not see it. I can easily read Copyright © 2014 - 2021. All rights are reserved on the bottom left but DNStore.com just blows out so is the login on the top right. The call to action button of buy now is a button I only come to know when I hover over it. I don't like the pictures above the domain name. The domain searching method is way too old school. There is much more but I am sure you got my point.

•••
I am just going to say this as gently as possible. Pick what you want. The name of your store doesn’t matter. The names you are selling matter.

This is kind of like how people put more attention into a wedding event than an actual marriage.

Your names dictate success or failure. Not the store name.

Last edited:
•••
I still haven't finally decided on my rebranding of DNStore.com. I'm not afraid of rebranding (maybe I should be). Because I'll just point DNStore.com to whatever I choose to rebrand to. Let's start with why I want to rebrand. Several domainers have told me that end-users haven't a clue what DN stands for, and I should probably choose a domain with "domain" in the name and with a 2nd word which suggest selling domains. This sounds all well and good, except there are really none available to register, or are priced too expensively. I've kinda shortlisted 4 domains, which don't actually follow all suggestions which have been made. These are STUB.ORG, STUUB.COM, STUBWEB.COM, NAMETRADER.COM. So let's discuss these 4 domains.

STUB.ORG. I recently purchased this from a very top domainer. It wasn't cheap. How much does it matter that it's not the .COM, which is in use in the entertainment ticketing business? The .NET is for sale for about $25k. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of using STUB.ORG as my domains for sale website, replacing DNStore.com? Pros: It's my name on NP's and an abbreviation of my real name. It's short and to the point. It doesn't address the problem of not including Domain & Sales in the domain name, which started all this searching for a new name. How much does that matter? I think it's very brandable.

STUUB.COM. I purchased this from another domainer about 4 years ago. A true brandable with the same qualities as STUB.ORG, except it is a .COM. If that is important. Does that make it a better choice than STUB.ORG?

STUBWEB.COM. I purchased this in the drops about 4 years ago also. A 2 word brandable, with my keyword+WEB. Several top domainers are using "Domain(s)+Web".com (which obviously are not available). This only partially links the domain to selling domains on the WEB. It's a COM also.

NAMETRADER.COM - I purchased this domain some 15+years ago. This definitely fits the bill of clearly identifying what to expect from the domain. Although it uses the considerably lower form of "NAME" replacing the word "DOMAIN" according to one top domainer, I spoke with. I couldn't find any available domain which implied selling domains with the use of "NAME" available for registration or purchase at a reasonable cost. Not a brandable.

I would stress this is a shortlist. I have several .COM domains with 1 or 2 letters in front of or behind STUB. I have domains like STUBDOMAINS.COM, which might be a good fit/compromise. But I kinda preferred something shorter, and brandable. I have several NGTLDs with the word "DOMAIN(S).+NGTLD. Reasonably good NGTLD's. But I didn't consider them viable, because of thinking about .COM being almost a must. I'm not really sure how many end-users who would know of these NGTLDs, yet. I have and considered several DOMAINSALESxxxx.com but I figured you could die before the completing the domain in your browser :):):)

My personal preference is in the order they are listed. But it is a tight decision between all of them. I'd like to here your comments about each of these names and the one you would choose. And why.

rgds
stu
In my opinion, NameTrader is very very strong & extensible name. Because by not mentioning "domains" inside, you can use it for other tradeable "names" and "name rights" such as "social media names" and "registered brand names" (that you will register yourself, or just buy&sell the rights). And why not "coin names", "metaverse names" and "baby names". There is a company selling "unique baby names" at 35.000 Usd each :))) BBC is giving this info:

- "Switzerland based naming agency Erfolgswelle, started its business of providing a unique international name for a baby at the cost of $35,000. Marc Hauser is the CEO and founder of the agency. They are the pioneers in baby naming since 2015."

•••
Nametr... Is nice. As is your current domain. St.. .org is sweet as hell. At least you own domains with potential :)

NT would be my vote if you 100% want to rebrand.

Content is king, don't worry too much if all your options are good/decent. It's not gonna make too much of a difference.

Appreciate the encouragement @DirkS

•••
Name is a good choice in a brand, as is the word brand. It should definitely be a dot com. Otherwise you lose credibility. With a few exceptions.

You should get unmarried from the word stub in your new brand. Get outside of your box. Find a name that is catchy, brandable, and that will resonate with people. It doesn't need to contain dn, name, domain, etc. in it. It can be a completely invented name. Think of Sedo, Squadhelp, Dan, Porkbun, GoDaddy. None of those brands have anything about domains in their name but are successful.

What's wrong with Stuub.com then? Short, snappy, and catchy?

•••
•••
Yes, too barren, for example, the color combination can be better, have a look at the bottom right you have About, ToS, it is just too bright on the light grey transparent background, I can not see it. I can easily read Copyright © 2014 - 2021. All rights are reserved on the bottom left but DNStore.com just blows out so is the login on the top right. The call to action button of buy now is a button I only come to know when I hover over it. I don't like the pictures above the domain name. The domain searching method is way too old school. There is much more but I am sure you got my point.

The website IS a work-in-progress :) I agree about the bottom line text is awful. I hadn't noticed the Buy Now button. I'll look at that. What would you have instead of the pictures? Just the domain name? I think the domain search is actually very powerful with a text and database search combined. How should I change it to new school? As I've said. It's a work in progress. But I think I need to change my programmer. Feel free to critic more by PM. If you like.

•••
Yes. Of course. It's highly flexible of course. But I'm selling approx 15-20 domains a year. A few go off to Afternic where they pay Afternics commission of +20%
This is a good data.
I view that you listed in DNStore about 3000 domains.
15-20 domains selling about (x.xxx $) per year via your own landing page I think is a very good profit !

•••
What's wrong with Stuub.com then? Short, snappy, and catchy?
The double u. You will have to spell it when spoken because it is not obvious. And how do you pronounce it? Stab, stoob?

•••
This is a good data.
I view that you listed in DNStore about 3000 domains.
15-20 domains selling about (x.xxx $) per year via your own landing page I think is a very good profit !

I think in most years I get 1 big sale of about $20k and the rest are about $2-$5k This year was one of my better years.

•••
The double u. You will have to spell it when spoken because it is not obvious. And how do you pronounce it? Stab, stoob?

Why stoob of course. I get your point. But the internet is still mostly a written media, which gives plenty of chances spell it correctly. For those who are blind or only use spoken media, it's "stoob spelt with two uu's" :)

Last edited:
•••
I think in most years I get 1 big sale of about $20k and the rest are about $2-$5k This year was one of my better years.
Good numbers!!
All domains listed in other platforms stay at same time in your personal landing or only a few?
You are doing domaining full time or is a second work or hobby with good profits?

And for Rebranding... I vote for: NAMETRADER.COM
good luck!

•••
Why stoob of course. I get your point. But the internet is still mostly a written media, which gives plenty of chances spell it correctly. For those who are blind or only use spoken media, it's "stoob spelt with two uu's" :)

It's a nice brandable but it could get somewhat confusing. Stub@stuub wen emailing. People may think it's a typo. Something to consider.... You can always change your name to Stuub, you own the emd, no-brainer 😃

Last edited:
•••
+1 for NameTrader.com
It passes the radio / phone test. No need to spell out the domain to someone.

•••
none of them are good...

•••
•••
Everybody seems to be insistent on only .com. And I've basically been only looking for .com domains with meanings (domain sales, sell domains, kinda stuff). I have some rather interesting NGTLDs, like domain.domains, domain.markets, and others.

Last edited:
•••
Everybody seems to be insistent on only .com. And I've basically been only looking for .com domains with meanings (domain sales, sell domains, kinda stuff). I have some rather interesting NGTLDs, like domain.domains, domain.markets, and others.
Hi @stub

Perfect.domains is still available to reg... in case you're interested...

And Fancy.domains is for sale at Fancy.domains.

I also noticed that Top.domains is also using NGTLD.

(I have no affiliation with both above)

Just food for thoughts if you're considering NGTLDs...

All the very best with whatever you decide...(y)

•••
Whatever you choose is fine by me (domain seller). However, in the years to come ...

Brands moving from typing/touch to listening (voice assistants and voice user interface), bc users can ask for more individualized experience (Alexa/Siri etc search words related to transport, business name ideas)

Example PWC survey, Feb 2018 (PDF attached)

2018.png

Stub+(Media related word), stub.org is fine. If you're a brand today, you must lead vs offer.

Regards

Attachments

• voice-assistants.pdf
    869.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
•••
Whatever you choose is fine by me (domain seller). However, in the years to come ...

Brands moving from typing/touch to listening (voice assistants and voice user interface), bc users can ask for more individualized experience (Alexa/Siri etc search words related to transport, business name ideas)

Stub+(Media related word), stub.org is fine. If you're a brand today, you must lead vs offer.

Regards

Interesting that I own stub.media already. Just many of the NGTLDs I did not mention above. Did you look it up? I find it interesting that you like stub.org, whereas most dislike it vehemently. I understand what you are saying about lead vs offer, although I'm not really fully on board with the concept. I think you can have a brand without being a leader in your niche. The niche I know most about is Domains. I think DAN have carved a niche for themselves, although there at least 10 domain companies in that niche selling aftermarket domain names and beating DAN. And many smaller companies, like Efty. All work in the repurposing old domains to new customers. Just like I do. Which has given my an idea for my home page. It's just an idea at this point. Not fully developed yet.

It's always nice to here your views @Lox.

Last edited:
•••
I would stick with dnstore.
I would just remove word "aftermarket" from site. It's too technical or even intimidating.
dnstore - domain name store
I would remove line about resellers as well.

•••
I would stick with dnstore.
I would just remove word "aftermarket" from site. It's too technical or even intimidating.
dnstore - domain name store
I would remove line about resellers as well.

Thank you for your contributions @timestamp.

Strange. I thought the word Aftermarket kind of defined DNStore's business quite well. I know you are looking at this from a non-technical point of view. What do others think?

I see where you are going with spelling out the full name.

I agree with you about the sellers point. It was put in after I got fed up with dealing with offers from other domainers. It worked. Almost overnight the enquiries from other domainers dried up. I wouldn't like that to start again after I took it out. I should be able to reword that a lot better, and still not get offers from other domainers. I've made a mental note to attempt to fix that. Thank you.

•••
•••
Any suggestions for improvements are always welcome. I won't get offended :)

The problem is that I cannot remember your brand....

•••
Back