Dynadot

advice Reaching out to end user for sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ravd

Impact
Hello,
I bought an expired domain that I'm trying to sell.

The domain is something like: eogChicago.com (I've changed the exact initials and city name for the purposes of this discussion.)

There's one prominent marketing-focused business that's an obvious end user. It's a gymnastics academy called "Elite Olympic Gymnastics" located in Chicago (or rather, in the correct equivalent city with the correct initials).

The domain I'm selling, eogChicago.com, clearly matches their branding very well. The gymnastics academy's Facebook page name is eogChicago, and their twitter handle is also @eogChicago. They currently use the domain: eogGymnasticsChicago.com, which is obviously a lot harder to remember and doesn't match their branding as well as the domain I want to sell them.

I've spoken with the owner by phone, and she clearly really wants the domain. She said she used to own it, but her old tech person let it lapse by mistake. She connected me with her new tech person. However, ever since I mentioned money, both the owner and her tech guy have stopped returning my calls. I asked for $1500, and indicated lots of wiggle room in my price.

There's another investor who partly owns the business, but I can't find her contact info and I don't think she's very involved.

Any advice? Should I continue to call them? Give up? Try some other approach?

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if there are any other likely end users. I've found a couple of other businesses entitled "EOG" in Chicago, but they have no web marketing presence at all (it's not clear whether or not they're even open for business at this time).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Negotiation is very much like dating. We value most that which we can't have or is hardest to get.

At this point you have offered the domain and given a price.

What you need to do now is give them a sense of urgency letting them think they are going to lose their chance to buy. AND THEN LEAVE THEM ALONE

Look for other buyers and let them know when you find them.

•••
I have a few golden rules in my book. One says that a good domain name should have more just one "obvious" end user.
The fact that they used to own the domain doesn't mean they will pay anything to recover it. In fact, they settled for a longer/inferior domain and moved on...

To sum up: if there is only one possible end user and you don't have a plan B (develop the domain), the domain becomes more a liability than an asset.
I think it might never sell, and you'll eventually get tired of waiting for a buyer that won't come. Then you'll drop the domain, and it's very possible another domainer will step in, catch the domain and pick up where you left...

It's called the circle (circus ?) of domain life.

•••
I am sure you are now a "cybersquatter" in their eyes. Just move on and if they want it back they def know where to go.

•••
How long has it been since you gave them a price? Financial decisions take time. I hope you at least gave them a week.

I like @distlej's comparison of negotiation to dating. Don't come on too strong. Contacting the other business partner would be a big mistake here. That would be like asking out the sister of the girl you've been flirting with. Be patient.

•••
Don't contact them, park the domain and move on, if they want the name they will contact you, this might be next week or next year. I would renew the name and make casual contact once a year to see what their latest position is, chances are at some point you will make a sale.

•••
Definitely agree with most of the advice everyone gave. You already approached them even had a phone conversation which many people are afraid to do. You did your part gave them a price and also told them you have wiggle room for offers.

If they really want the name they will reach out to you. For now focus on putting it on other platforms as make offer and see if you get any offers.

List of Potential Market Places to List a Domain:

Godaddy Auctions
NameJet
Flippa
Sedo
Afternic
Forum auctions
Your own site
Park the domain with a for sale banner

Never give up as there are many ways to sell a name. Once you set it up in those platforms though move on to finding a better name and repeat the process, this way you are constantly in motion.

- Will

•••
I would offer it to them for a reasonable amount based on their revenue/profit. Most smaller newer local businesses aren't even making money in their first two years which you have to keep in mind.

•••
did u buy the name because you thought you could sell it to them, specifically?

•••
I have a few golden rules in my book. One says that a good domain name should have more just one "obvious" end user.

So very true.

•••
-

Last edited:
•••
Back