Dynadot

Random questions from a complete newbie.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Alright, I used to create usernames on MMORPGs and other games and stuff, and then sell them for a couple dollars, and figured...why not try selling domains. Several times of random web adress searching have I have come across "The domain is for sale!" and I've decided I want to try it. Now, I know pretty much nothing about web hosting/domain buying...so I need alot of help to get started.

1. Where do i buy them? And when I buy one, do I own it forever or for a limited time?
2. How exactly do i go about selling them? Whats all the information I'm gonna need for potential buyers?
3. How do you transfer the domain to them once they have paid?
4. If you don't count outliers (I probally spelt that wrong. But I mean numbers that are extremely low) whats the average amount they sell for?
5. Anything else I should know before I start going off and buying domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Domain registrars such as GoDaddy or even NamePros own service.
2. Auction them on here, ebay, Sedo, Domain Sponsor.....
3. GoDaddy offers a free transfer to another godaddy account
4. Really does depend. On the whole Reg fee if your lucky ;) you gotta pick the gems and hope they sell for more than reg fee. Research the available domains and then buy what you think will sell - i.e. Experience!
5. Look around to see what people have paid good money for! Look to get domains listed on DMOZ as they sell for more. Domains with traffic are also valuable. Whilst you build a portfolio think about parking them for revenue such as sedo or domain sponsor.

•••
•••
snoopi said:
What is "MMORPGs" ?
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

And brp, you named all kinds of things, but you didnt name the web adresses for them. And I'm guessing godaddy would be the easiest since it lets you switch? Whats the reg fee on that site?

•••
•••
rawandy said:
http://godaddy.com ;>. $6-7 for each

http://sedo.com <- dont reg domains here, just park them if you want revenue / check traffic on the domain(s).

http://www.domainsponsor.com/ <- Almost the same as sedo. Check them out ;)

Best regards;
Andy

Thanks, I'll go check them out. =)
And I have a question, how come people keep saying three letter domains are so valauble, yet from what I've seen not many people bid on them?

One more question, how do you go about researching domains? I've seen people posting things but not understanding them...on ways to check how often it will most likely come up in search engines or someything? i dont know, and I'm probally making no sense.

Alright, one last question. xD I have to pay sedo 10% of what I sell the domain for? I was confused what it meant if I parked it there.

Last edited:
•••
jayrare said:
One more question, how do you go about researching domains? I've seen people posting things but not understanding them...on ways to check how often it will most likely come up in search engines or someything? i dont know, and I'm probally making no sense.

Alright, one last question. xD I have to pay sedo 10% of what I sell the domain for? I was confused what it meant if I parked it there.

First question, you can use overture to check what keywords are search'ed the most. Write "sex" as an example ;). If you see that there is alot of searches made on for example "sex pictures", sexpictures.com would be a good domain.

Digitalpoint is another keyword "research" tool, which also includes stats from wordtracker.com.

Use Marketleap's tool to check link popularity!. You'll quickly find out what i mean if you visit the site, thats if your not getting what im saying now hehe. ;>.

You can use this one aswell for checking your "PR = PageRank" on google.

And the last thing i can think of is visiting the wayback machine here.. You'll actualy be able to see if your domain has had a previous page, write forexample www.google.com and you'll see all their old pages, from the start almost ;)

Hope that helped you abit, :)
Andy

•••
very helpful Andy.
how do you judge how many visits per month is a lot? (keyword search)
obviously depends on popularity of keyword - but in relative terms?
Thanks
charbar

•••
charbar said:
very helpful Andy.
how do you judge how many visits per month is a lot? (keyword search)
obviously depends on popularity of keyword - but in relative terms?
Thanks
charbar

Im not sure if i understood your question correctly but, aslong as the keywords are relatively short, their usualy all good aslong as it dosent have searches under a thousand a mnth, imho. Unless its hard to type in and its unsure how long the "keywords" will be popular, like a movie forexample, if its a lousy movie, people would search for it for about a month after it came out, and it would drop bigtime after a while. Im not sure if this helped you that much but :s.

Two more answers to your questions Jayrare.

First;
3 letter .com's are valuable because everyone is taken, thats pretty much it, and no matter what the combination is, its pretty easy to remember.

Second;
Sedo only wants 10% of your sales, if you ever sell it thru them, parking and such is however free. I got over 50 domains parked there, and i havent got one single bid yet ;s, so dont worry about that, if you sell them there, those 10% wont care anyway ;). If your domains sell for above $50 you'll haveto pay them 10%. Check this link for more info regarding this subject, you've probably already seen the page but im incl the link anyway.
http://www.sedo.com/services/prices.php3?language=us&session=328501#e2f6c83614b348c0efd9168a3b8a8f41

Thanks,
Andy

•••
newbie "STUPID" question

I have jsut started the domain name revenue and i need to know how to go about trafficing my domain names. I have 14 registered domains and some were websites at one time, but i have parked them and started earning revenue,but where can i go and advertise and not get into trouble for trafficing on "incentive" sites? I want to do this correctly and was thrown out of my first domain name parking site because they sid i was getting incentive traffic and dont want to do that again. Any ideas?

•••
apache said:
I have jsut started the domain name revenue and i need to know how to go about trafficing my domain names. I have 14 registered domains and some were websites at one time, but i have parked them and started earning revenue,but where can i go and advertise and not get into trouble for trafficing on "incentive" sites? I want to do this correctly and was thrown out of my first domain name parking site because they sid i was getting incentive traffic and dont want to do that again. Any ideas?

First of all, welcome to this forum Apache :).

You mean that you got kicked out of a parking site because they ment that the traffic your domains was receiving was not legit?.

I've never had problems with this, but then again, im not getting high traffic either on any of my parked domain names.

If you wasnt using sedo at the time, i would suggest you look them up, or even try to get an account at "faboluous.com. You need abit more domains to get approved as a member there. (In the signup process they say atleast 100domains). But if most of your domains are great names im sure you would get listed.

Andy

•••
•••
Hello and thanks for the reply. Yes Sedo was my first and they didnt even pay me the first time and then paid me two months later without any notice,so i started using them again and they deleted me again and said my "lesson was not learned" I have no idea what i did to deserve this.So i went to afternic and had some high quality domains that were once websites and was getting around 5,000-10,000 hits of traffic coming in from those domains. Someone complained because i was selling one of my old site domains for $200.00 and they went through the process of purchasing and even paid through paypal and their payment was denied through escrow service and i am thinking they got mad and went out on a rampage against me or something. Well long story short afternic suspeneded me and i lost over $800.00 last month saying my domains were collecting "false traffic" and all my domains are hosted also,paying $3.95 a month for all of them. I can not figure out what i am doing wrong and have worked very hard on these domains.

•••
apache said:
Hello and thanks for the reply. Yes Sedo was my first and they didnt even pay me the first time and then paid me two months later without any notice,so i started using them again and they deleted me again and said my "lesson was not learned" I have no idea what i did to deserve this.So i went to afternic and had some high quality domains that were once websites and was getting around 5,000-10,000 hits of traffic coming in from those domains. Someone complained because i was selling one of my old site domains for $200.00 and they went through the process of purchasing and even paid through paypal and their payment was denied through escrow service and i am thinking they got mad and went out on a rampage against me or something. Well long story short afternic suspeneded me and i lost over $800.00 last month saying my domains were collecting "false traffic" and all my domains are hosted also,paying $3.95 a month for all of them. I can not figure out what i am doing wrong and have worked very hard on these domains.

Sounds strange IMO,. What are the domain names? :)
Andy

•••
Hello and thank you.here are my domain names

trafficmyway.com
totallytraffic.net
simplyfindithere.com
advertisingfirst.com
merrymerchants.com
oceanofegold.com
seawonderrandomizer.com
usmarketingskill.com
trafficspeciality.com
inspirationalclick.com
buisness-advertising.com
caboosehits.com
cartoon-hits.com
valuableadvertising.com

•••
not a fan of godaddy

do you get any traffic with those names?

one thing with godaddy is that they put a bunch of ads after you try to buy something. namesecure just changed their site and it's really clean. $7-something. 1&1 is the cheapest I think ($5.99), but their service is awful. :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back