NameSilo

status-intentional Quote Bug in Closed Threads

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
Just a little heads up. In closed threads (or at least this one) instead of clipping off the ability to reply, the "Quote+" has also disappeared. Pretty sure this isn't intentional .. nor by design. Just not sure if it's a NP template bug-a-boo .. or a Xenforo issue?
https://www.namepros.com/threads/confidencepays-com.1063740/#post-6557458

Bottom row content in closed thread:
9988, Monday at 3:06 AMReport Share#18 Like|Dislike|Thank|

Bottom row in open threads:
Kuffy, Jan 24, 2017Report Share#47 Like|Dislike |Thank| + QuoteReply

I'm thinking it's just the "Reply" that's supposed to be removed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ah .. just tried hovering over the QuoteReply link above .. I'm thinking the reason they are glued together here might be because they are functionally connected .. so unfortunately probably not a simple template issue and probably a random typo on a random line of code (hopefully I'm wrong) .. good luck finding it! lol :)

•••
Ya, that has bothered me many times too. We haven't changed it and it's not a bug, so it must be by design.

Please feel free to start a thread on XenForo.com to have them change this functionality. I agree that we should still be able to quote (at least "+ Quote") in closed threads.

Thanks,

•••
The trailing " | " leads me to believe it isn't by design.

I haven't visited xF in ages .. I haven't renewed in several years so not sure what sort of support I'll get. PM me the version of xF NP is running on and I'll eventually poke around (today and tomorrow I'm doing major reorganisation on my domains .. categorising .. then repricing .. the relisting .. can't afford to go bug hunting .. unless you want to find me a retail domain buyer .. lol)

•••
@Eric Lyon Actually, I think we might've added the separators. Like/Dislike/Thank are all part of our custom plugin. Vanilla XenForo only has Like, but we replaced it.

Notice that there aren't separators between the links to the left (Edit, Delete, etc.)

•••
@Eric Lyon Actually, I think we might've added the separators. Like/Dislike/Thank are all part of our custom plugin. Vanilla XenForo only has Like, but we replaced it.

Notice that there aren't separators between the links to the left (Edit, Delete, etc.)
Ya, but none of that affects the intended design by XenForo, which is to not allow quoting of any posts in closed threads. Those details don't help with the OP's request. ;)

•••
I am not experienced with XenForo, but am a coder.

I'd imagine (no research performed at all) that the quote and reply function are mainly javascript driven.

You should be able to modify XenForo to display the link for Quote on closed topics and so long as the javascript function and variables are available - then the functionality is still possible on a closed thread.

This shouldn't take much modification from a theoretical point of view. Though, I understand reality can be different.

•••
Ya, but none of that affects the intended design by XenForo, which is to not allow quoting of any posts in closed threads. Those details don't help with the OP's request. ;)

Sure, but now it's bugging me. I can't un-see it. :P

For whatever reason, XenForo has that button locked down in several places for people who lack permission to reply. Changing the behavior would require patching a bunch of files that aren't meant to be edited.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back