Dynadot

question Quick flip of recently registered NNNNNN.com's?

Spaceship
Watch

DNVantage

Established Member
Impact
While browsing namepros domain auctions, I came across NNNNNN.com (6 Ns) auctioning for upto $20. Most of name's have at least 3 8s in them, but not 888.

What I found surprising was, they have been registered recently, some not even a week ago!

My guess is they must have been hand-regged using GD coupons but there are so many NNNNNN.com with 3 8s!

So my question, why pay $10 to $20 for each? Why not hand-reg them yourself.

If the current value is not more than $20, it does not make sense for a domainer to hold them for more then a year?

So is there something specially about the NNNNNN.com's sold recently at NP auctions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domainers speculate- in everything. The barrier to entry in 6Ns is low and the investment is low. Waiting through 1 renewal cycle gives the market time to prove your investment. How much will it be worth 700 days from now? Some very smart people called the "top" in the 5N bubble literally as it went parabolic and paid everyone who waited. I was in early in the 5N cycle and had to renew several times. There was a lot of self-doubt but I believe in numeric domains as a digital, cross-cultural commodity. 6Ns have a long hill to climb due to sheer numbers and I would say about 30% or 300K of 6Ns will never see any meaningful appreciation. The top 10% are taken. That leaves "some" opportunity in the middle to shrewd investors. Registering domains with 3 eights is a good start at minimizing risk though patterns and scarcity will determine long-term value.

One side note: domainers in the "west" tend to look at lucky combinations and meanings found through a google search and go in that direction. That's fine but if you spend time on Chinese websites you will find that there are almost endless possible meanings! Particularly with 6Ns and up. Chinese culture is not homogeneous. Therefore, mathematics and patterns and scarcity are more important with larger number strings. No you shouldn't register random numbers beginning with 0 or that contain 4 (most of the time) but which is likely a more desirable pattern: a 6 number string containing 3 8's and two other available integers (a88b8a) or a 6N string with 3 8's and 3 other available integers (a88b8c)? One is significantly more scarce than the other (do the math) and is drying up in terms of available registration. What if those integers are consecutive? A greater understanding of your market will lead to greater profits.

•••
Acquire them at the present stage if you want to get in. What happened to 5N will repeat in 6Ns - I do not why people have problem understanding this.

•••
Acquire them at the present stage if you want to get in. What happened to 5N will repeat in 6Ns - I do not why people have problem understanding this.

Problem is not in understanding "this". Problem is in understanding, why the buyers did not hand-reg them last week (probably $5 or less with a GD coupon) but opted to buy for $15 to $20 :) As I have asked in my OP, why not hand-reg them yourself instead of paying 3 times more?

I understand that 6 N's will be come valuable but I don't know enough about them to understand which one's, which @jacques has clarified a bit.

•••
•••
@jacques , @domainerfella

Is there a marketplace for NNNNNN?

NP is the current market place as domainers who did not acquire earlier are acquiring now. But 3 same digits in the beginning or at the end are selling in other market places for 3 digits already.

Is there a starter guide to understanding NNNNNN?

Read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture especially the one at the bottom.

Never buy '4s' except 1314 or 54.

Repeating digits and patterns have value as in they are easily remembered.

What about more than 6N's, like 8 N's or 10 N's. Are any particular digits which make a long N name valuable?

6N's will take an year or so to increase in value. So do not venture into 7 and so forth.

Reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture , what else to read?

•••
Some people get caught in the hype and follow anything. I don't. This means that I spend half my time wishing I had and half my time glad I didn't.

If you miss one fad, don't worry, another will be along shortly.

•••
@domainerfella Thanks, btw, I got the Numbers_in_Chinese_culture link from one of your post's here at NP :)

@Paully, LOL :)

Just wondering if 8 is good, then 8 N should be also? ;)

•••
Just wondering if 8 is good, then 8 N should be also?
It will take years to have a market for them. It migrates from one to the next one. However, all great numbers would have been take already, say, 88888888.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back