NameSilo

Question about selling domains

Labeled as question in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion started by turbo funk, Aug 18, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Jimmysun

Jimmysun Established Member

My grandpa collected many postage stamps since the 1980s, then he passed away(sad), and then now still in the book cabinet...

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. richasis

richasis Established Member

As in all things, it's usually the one gem amongst the others that sells the entire portfolio. (y)

3. myfavorite

myfavorite Established Member

Yeah. When you have quality domains with patience, one sale can make it a sweet experience that counts.

4. Soofi

Soofi DomainX™ PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

How long do you think you can go, holding a domain name?

5. Lord Antares

Lord Antares Top Member VIP

That's all if you do domaining the conventional way. If you intend to go heavy on outbound or domain flipping, none of what anyone said holds true. See what you're comfortable with

6. rathead

rathead Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

'bout tree... mebbe tree fiddy.

7. manpreet

manpreet Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Totally depends on your domain name and its prospective end users.

Its a simple Demand and Supply game.

A golden tip - if you are buying to resell, you must first confirm if their can be any takers for that name in the market.

8. turbo funk

turbo funk New Member

do you mean using tools like namebio and those sorts of keyword domain searches?

9. manpreet

manpreet Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes, Namebio is one of them, that can tell about related sales in the past.

10. PreScriptZ

PreScriptZ Established Member

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

Many have replied already but I would like to stress that unless you have something really premium, like a common dictionary single word ..com, a domain name may not sell for many years and indeed the majority of domain names held by domain investors will never sell :xf.frown:.

One can compute an average using how many domains are for sale and how many sell each year (while applying a correction for how many are not listed on NameBio). You can twist the numbers a bit but most suggest something of order of 1/100 chance of any particular domain name selling in one year, or looked at another way something of order 100 years to sell (but really it is not like that, many will never sell, some much faster, so it averages that). It is no wonder that people like TheDomainKing talk about domaining as being inter-generational and you will pass on your domains to the next generation!

You can increase probability of sale by choosing domain names with many likely end users, promoting them effectively, pricing them correctly, etc. It is still a long term game if you plan to sell domain names for much more than you bought them for (and you need to to make up for those that would never sell).

Domain investing is not easy, fast or assured, and for those that quickly need returns it is not the thing to be in.

Bob

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. Jimmysun

Jimmysun Established Member

The answer is the same as people asking why the domain names are so expensive!

13. richasis

richasis Established Member

`
    Amen, Bob. I believe gut-instinct plays a big part in this, as well - and I say this as one of the lucky ones.

14. monk16

monk16 Established Member

I have one name that I think is a great name(1wordenglish_de). But, I get rejection from greatsdo auction and it makes me stressed. Therefore, I have learned that selling a domain is not as easy as we think. I think there are many factors in selling a domain name.

Trend
    length
    extension
    cpc
    volume/mounth
    pronounceable
    etc

And what we need is to keep learning.

And YES, no sales in the last two months:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:.

(sorry for my bad english)

15. 4better

4better Established Domainer VIP

Talking about how quickly to sell a domain name, it's all about the quality and the price imo.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice