Dynadot

Question About Buying A Domain Name That's Already Owned

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MrOriginal

Established Member
Impact
I've found a domain I like, however it is already owned by someone else.

The domain itself isn't in use and has been parked and unused since it was purchased a few years ago. There are also no links to buy it, and it's not listed on any of the big domain marketplaces.

Because of this, and the fact the owner is using privateWhois, I believe I have only 2 options.

1. I can either "make an offer" via Namecheap (my registrar of choice): when you search the domain to register it, and it says it's taken, they will deliver your offer "guaranteed" to the owner for 20$ service fee + a minimum 199$ bid has to be made.

2. In the private whois there is an email: (TheDomainIWant.com)@Protecteddomainservices.com

Does anyone know if "@Protecteddomainservices.com" emails are actually forwarded to the domain owner? Alternatively, if anyone has experience with namecheaps "make offer" service?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've found a domain I like, however it is already owned by someone else.

The domain itself isn't in use and has been parked and unused since it was purchased a few years ago. There are also no links to buy it, and it's not listed on any of the big domain marketplaces.

Because of this, and the fact the owner is using privateWhois, I believe I have only 2 options.

1. I can either "make an offer" via Namecheap (my registrar of choice): when you search the domain to register it, and it says it's taken, they will deliver your offer "guaranteed" to the owner for 20$ service fee + a minimum 199$ bid has to be made.

2. In the private whois there is an email: (TheDomainIWant.com)@Protecteddomainservices.com

Does anyone know if "@Protecteddomainservices.com" emails are actually forwarded to the domain owner? Alternatively, if anyone has experience with namecheaps "make offer" service?

You can use broker or buyer service.

•••
You can use the Whois. The person might not want to give Namecheap or anyone a cut of their profit. 10% in the case of NameCheap. If it’s not listed anywhere I would use the Whois. Another reason not to pay Namecheap is there is a good chance the person is not selling right now.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, the e-mail will be forwarded to the owner.

•••
You can use broker or buyer service.

I believe the namecheap "make offer" service is a broker, as they have partnered with DomainAgents to integrate this service.

Yes, the e-mail will be forwarded to the owner.

What payment processor is recommended to avoid any issues if the owner wants to sell? Should I tell them to use escrow? I don't want them to potentially shy away because it feels like too much of a hassle to make the exchange.

•••
You could check the old whois records to see if the name was registered with privacy, or the privacy was added after registration.

•••
You could just send an E-mail to the address listed in the whois record and take it from there. Just be prepared to negotiate and have a budget in mind. Also prepare to receive no reply from the owner. If you receive no reply consider a follow-up E-mail with an initial offer as a token of good faith. And if the name is good, be aware you are most likely not the first to express interest, and maybe the owner has declined a number of offers already.

If you represent a big corporation, I would advise not to send from your office, because your IP address may leak in the mail headers.
A shrewd domain seller will try to figure out who the other party is, check the mail headers and the sender E-mail in Google etc.
Don't expect too much sympathy if you come up with a story like you are a poor student with a $100 budget, especially if a quick search in Google contradicts your story :)

•••

Even though it's private, they should still receive the email. The point of that protected email is so they don't reveal there live email address. Probably to protect against spam or something.

So yeah, I've emailed several people through whois with private emails and received responses.

-Omar

•••
Some private email bounces (like GoDaddy) and some forward. It doesn't hurt to try.

Regards,
Samuel L Dotson

•••
Update: So I sent an email to that private whois address offering to buy the domain. I did not give an offer but received no reply :(.

I mentioned "buy" and the domain name in the subject, so perhaps it went to spam? I also found a Whoishistory website that showed someones email from a few years ago, which I also messaged and no reply. Perhaps the person doesnt even check the email associated with the domain even if it is getting through.

What would you say is the next step? Should I email again an throw out and offer or pay the 20$ and get a brokerage service to send them an offer for me (I imagine they guarantee inboxing)?

Companies acquire domains like this all the time, clearly I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
•••
If you can't get a hold of the owner, a buyer broker is not likely to have magic abilities to easily get a hold of them either.

Still, if you have to ask if $20 is worth a chance to acquire the domain, I am wondering how serious your actual offer is going to be.

Unless you are willing to make a strong offer, the amount of work it might take to actually get in contact with the owner is likely not worth it to a third party.

Brad

•••
If you can't get a hold of the owner, a buyer broker is not likely to have magic abilities to easily get a hold of them either.

Still, if you have to ask if $20 is worth a chance to acquire the domain, I am wondering how serious your actual offer is going to be.

Unless you are willing to make a strong offer, the amount of work it might take to actually get in contact with the owner is likely not worth it to a third party.

Brad

It's not about the cost of a broker. I would just rather do it myself if I could. Once I throw a broker into the mix everything is on their terms.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back