Question about backordering and domain drops

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

millert25

Established Member
Impact
0
Today I was at work and keeping track of about 6 or 7 pretty good domains that were in pending delete status. I figured that the second they dropped that I could try to at least get one of them. I realize now what everyone is talking about when people say that there are others that have technology that grabs them up the second they drop. Anyways, I had an idea to go to godaddy and backorder a few of the ones that I have picked out for tomorrow and maybe pay a little more but at least stand a chance of getting one. When I search for some of them that expire in 17 hours on namejet, they are currently available for auction on godaddy, therefore I cannot back order these domains. Is there something I'm missing here? What is the situation ? Thank you in advance.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I suspect they are registered at Godaddy and if someone wins the auction there they are very, very likely to get the domain. So I would watch the auctions and put a bid in before they end. If you are lucky (or bidding on a domain that sucks. :) ) you will get the domain. If not, you may have to bid higher to get them.

I have handregged domains that are dropping so I know it can be done. But the factors are who else is trying to get it, what services are they using, and how quickly can you keep trying to snag the domain.

For most people your best bet is to use 2-3 services that back-order domains and especially at the registrar where the domain is dropping from.
 
0
•••
Here's my theory, tell me if I'm going about this all wrong...... If I hand reg a domain I am only gonna pay about 12.99 on godaddy. If I backorder I'm gonna pay about $20. If I bid on it from namejet I'm gonna pay about $59. Seems like most of the domains I see sell (I'm mostly going after llll.com domains) go for about 50-60 bucks. If you pick them up from namejet it's pointless unless it's something you know you can sell for a lot more. Am I right or wrong?
 
0
•••
I would say you are right.

But I would try to pay under $10 per domain. $13 is a little high to me.

I thought most back orders cost about $60 which is what Namejet is doing I think. No I was thinking about an auction at Godaddy where the cost should be lower. But if you are looking for llll.coms then I would expect them to be hard to find with many people looking for them.

Me, I watch mostly for one-word domains and buy those for reg-fee when I can. There easy to buy, but hard to sell. :)
 
0
•••
Thanks for the information. But where do you buy for under $10?
 
0
•••
I use Dynadot, but I get Super bulk pricing which is the cheapest.

I checked Name.com and NameCheap.com who I used to use and both seem to charge about $11 for .coms.
 
0
•••
Thanks for the information. But where do you buy for under $10?

Godaddy using one of their many coupon. They have coupons for 99 cents sometimes, 2.95 a lot, around $5 all the time. The "standard" coupon is for around $8.67 or something.

NameSilo and internet.bs are both decent options with prices around $9 plus free whois privacy.
 
0
•••
GoDaddy with never drop-catch a valuable domain above the likes of NameJet, SnapNames, Andrew Reberry. They are only good for capturing domains that drop and there is not any drop-catcher going after the domain. Which means you could just as easily hand-reg the domain when it drops. In fact, most of the time, your hand-reg will beat the GoDaddy drop-catch.
 
0
•••
GoDaddy with never drop-catch a valuable domain above the likes of NameJet, SnapNames, Andrew Reberry. They are only good for capturing domains that drop and there is not any drop-catcher going after the domain. Which means you could just as easily hand-reg the domain when it drops. In fact, most of the time, your hand-reg will beat the GoDaddy drop-catch.

You are so right. I have backordered names with GoDaddy that they failed to catch, and I was able to hand reg that very name I backordered, thus saving my $20.99 backorder credit.

As for Reberry, he is even going after the foreign language domains. It seems like beating him is next to impossible.
 
0
•••
I think the jury is out still as to whether Reberry has a viable business model. But at least he is only spending $8+ on each domain he is drop-catching. He's probably hurting in these depressed times, like everyone else.
 
0
•••
Strange that the guy is not incorporated ?
 
0
•••
0
•••
I've read a lot about this Reberry guy, lol.
 
0
•••
Why do you want llll.com domains? Just curious.

You might be able to get some of these for cheaper than $50 at the Godaddy auctions at TDnam.com. Just do an advanced search and look for 4-letter domains.

There are a lot of snipers over there who might run the price up at the very end of the auction but it could be worth a try.

Also if they are in the expired auctions at godaddy auctions (tdnam) then they are not yet in pending delete status. Godaddy puts their customers expired domains on auction first before the domain names go into redemption and then pending delete status. It is their attempt to recycle the domain name for more money before it hits the open market.

Although now that I think about it, I think they do auction some of the domain names that they successfully catch if more than one person backorders it. I think those are fairly uncommon though.
 
0
•••
It's not clear for me what the status is on these domains. What are the whois expiry dates? The registrar expiry dates not the registry expiry dates. You can see both dates at www.iWhois.com. Where are they registered?
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back