Dynadot

opinion Quantity VS Quality

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
If you have a limit budget, what you prefer to invest in (not considering short liquid domains)?
A big quantity domains (low to mid quality), or few good quality domains.
What I think is that if you own a large portfolio domains with big variety , you have a chance to sell more than if you have a small one.
You can notice that many low quality domains sold daily for very good price, some of them selling for even thousands, while they are not really worth the hand reg. fee.
Any feedback with thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, but in the same time, you said: 'ever really been successful with quantity over quality'. He wasn't been successful just because of quality, he paid around 3 million renewals a year and more on acquisitions using his quantity domains and not the quality. The few quality domains are what's in front of the shop, the hard work is done by the quantity. It's the same as the shops selling cheap items just to cover the rent and wages, but they know that when they will sell the high priced items(not every day) that will be their profit.

So would you say spending 3 million on renewals per year on junk/average domains (possibly to break even or make a small profit) is a great business plan and worth copying?

Well i can only speak for myself, I wouldn't copy that business plan even if i had the money and I'm sure many other of the big fish investors would say that too, infact they already have. I think M.Mann doing what he does is more because of his love and possibly addiction to domain names rather than him (hand on heart) thinking it's a fantastic business model.

Best business plan (if you have the backing) is to buy 1 or 2 real top quality single word .com domains with view to making 6 or 7 figure profit on these and if you do, put money away and reinvest in another single word .com, again.

Thousands of investors have lost money buying junk (myself included at first), few have lost money buying 'quality'.

Buying quality is the business plan which most have been successful with, so if most have been sucessful doing that rather than just handregging loads of poor to average domains, then the answer to this thread is 'quality' makes more sense than 'quantity'.

Last edited:
•••
So would you say spending 3 million on renewals per year on junk/average domains (possibly to break even or make a small profit) is a great business plan and worth copying?

Well i can only speak for myself, I wouldn't copy that business plan even if i had the money and I'm sure many other of the big fish investors would say that too, infact they already have. I think M.Mann doing what he does is more because of his love and possibly addiction to domain names rather than him (hand on heart) thinking it's a fantastic business model.

Best business plan (if you have the backing) is to buy 1 or 2 real top quality single word .com domains with view to making 6 or 7 figure profit on these and if you do, put money away and reinvest in another single word .com, again.

Thousands of investors have lost money buying junk (myself included at first), few have lost money buying quality.

Buying quality is the business plan which most have been successful with, so if most have been sucessful doing that rather than just 1 handregging quantity, than the answer to this thread is quality makes more sense than quantity.
No, what I'm saying is that he sells lot's of xxx.-xxxx even xxxxx worth of domains, to cover acquisitions,renewals and others cost's, so when he sells an xxxxxx or more, that's pure profit. The plan of acquiring 1-2 great 1 word domains is that over 90% of them are already owned by companies or domainers with big pockets, so you will need to pay big. To make a profit on that, you will need to wait lots of years. What seems to work, is to try to acquire quality domains from the other 10% who own them and don't have big pockets or don't know the value of them, but that's not so easy how it looks. You need to be very lucky, to contact the right person at the right time and contact thousands of people , before you can find a domain so underpriced, so that you could afford to wait years. Some are buying at 50k and sell at 100k or something like that, but I would say you could get burned many times like this. What you need, is to acquire a domain that is under priced and has a retail value of 10 times more, to make sure you are safe, but that's the hard work.

Last edited:
•••
Quality is better but then again define quality in a domain, there are many domains some people including me would consider them garbage and not even worth the reg fee but then an end-user purchases it for a few grand.

•••
Some friends of mine mention to me their portfolio makes up maximum 100 domains... yet they make regular 5k, 4k sailz per year. They said the key is just buying quality domains... and I'm not talking about AB who bought News///co for like 10k.

This friend bought hand reggae, some expiring auction wins.. catching... he did normal stuff. Nothing too over the top. He basically just knew how to pick ultra quality domains.

So i would say quality goes a long way...... but to reach that kind of quality requires years and years of experience.

I tried going the quantity route... and let me tell you... you'll make sailz, but mostly mid-xxx.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back