IT.COM

question QGis(.)org acquired Qgis(.)me and qgis(.)pro?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainnews

domaining story-tellerTop Member
Impact
just a month ago, i saw 2 domains was just in the transfer period as i checked at that time and now status have done.

Qgis.pro now point to qgis.org while qgis.me using the same DNS(ns.cloudflare.com) as qgis.org ( official site),they also have qgis.com and many ccTLDs as well

Recently,I got an email from Germany ,quote how much do you charge for qg.is?,to some extend, im suppose that the buyer is 10 out 9 and i ask you all advise me how much shall i reply to them?
Thanks in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting! Thoughts:

• There's a fair chance they do own multiple TLDs. It's easy to see the .com and .org. (Cloudflare itself is common and not much of a clue.)
  • GIS is a broadly used term for mapping software.
  • Q GIS is an open source software that's free and run by volunteers. They do get grants and sponsorships for funding, however. 2021 Finances | 2022 Finances
  • German email makes sense for them.
  • Namebio says they paid $117 for their .com; others weren't listed.
  • They probably want it for a link shortener, which would be fairly useful to them, but not mission-critical as their name is so short to start with.

That's all the research I have time for. Other thoughts:
  • You should repost at https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-appraisal.3/ for pricing support.
  • Consider using a slash or other glyph instead of dot when referencing the domain so prospects have a harder time tracking your content.
  • If they don't buy it, what will you do with it?
  • If you aren't comfortable negotiating you can get a broker to help, but it comes at a cost.
Best wishes! Let us know how it goes.

•••
just a month ago, i saw 2 domains was just in the transfer period as i checked at that time and now status have done.

Qgis(.)pro now point to qgis(.)org while qgis(.)me using the same DNS(ns.cloudflare.com) as qgis(.)org ( official site),they also have qgis(.)com and many ccTLDs as well

Recently,I got an email from Germany ,quote how much do you charge for qg(.)is?,to some extend, im suppose that the buyer is 10 out 9 and i ask you all advise me how much shall i reply to them?
Thanks in advance
Interesting! Thoughts:

• There's a fair chance they do own multiple TLDs. It's easy to see the .com and .org. (Cloudflare itself is common and not much of a clue.)
  • GIS is a broadly used term for mapping software.
  • Q GIS is an open source software that's free and run by volunteers. They do get grants and sponsorships for funding, however. 2021 Finances | 2022 Finances
  • German email makes sense for them.
  • Namebio says they paid $117 for their .com; others weren't listed.
  • They probably want it for a link shortener, which would be fairly useful to them, but not mission-critical as their name is so short to start with.

That's all the research I have time for. Other thoughts:
  • You should repost at https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-appraisal.3/ for pricing support.
  • Consider using a slash or other glyph instead of dot when referencing the domain so prospects have a harder time tracking your content.
  • If they don't buy it, what will you do with it?
  • If you aren't comfortable negotiating you can get a broker to help, but it comes at a cost.
Best wishes! Let us know how it goes.
First of all,thanks for your feedback@TribeMagnet!

(1)QGIS (.)com registered in 2001 while qgis(.)org registered in 2002, and qgis(.)com sold for 117 USD in 2009 according to the namebio.
(2) as you know, years before 2013 there are so many 3 letters( LLL).com sold for only several thousand USD in the domain markets ,howere,dramatically, they are soaring and sell like hot cakes in the markets as the years pass by.
(3)Arcgis(.)com ,the competitor of QGIS also registered ArcG.is and transfered to Markmonitor,what's more,qgis.is taken as well,maybe,their rival might be keen on it if qgis rejects.

(3)2 letter .is is very rare and many of them are taken in 1999,especially, within the letter “G” in it which make this domain more valueable(GIS)

(4)anyway, thanks once again for providing me with some useful infos :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back