Dynadot

sales PX.com Sold for 7 Figures

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EJS

DomainInvesting.comVIP Member
βœ” DomainInvesting.com
Impact
This morning, I received a press release announcing the sale of PX.com. ReviMedia, a lead generation company based in New York City, bought PX.com for seven figures. The domain name was sold by Media Options.

This sale will likely rank as the second highest public domain name sale of 2015. I shared the details of the sale on my blog:

http://www.domaininvesting.com/px-com-sells-for-more-than-1-million/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
β€œIt will improve search engine rankings and generate traffic, as well as being a virtual asset,”

Can anyone in SEO confirm or deny that a 2 letter domain name will increase search engine rankings? :)

•••
β€œIt will improve search engine rankings and generate traffic, as well as being a virtual asset,”

Can anyone in SEO confirm or deny that a 2 letter domain name will increase search engine rankings? :)

LOL. If only...

•••
A very delicious price!

q6a4uEv.jpg

•••
PX will always be AAFES to me.

•••
LOL. If only...
I'm really wondering if this is truth or nonsense.

When you search for 'affiliate programs' or 'affiliate networks', CJ.com ranks within the top 5, but not number 1. This could be due to its long existence, or it being a 2 letter domain name.

But, when you get into larger, yet still a 'niche' market of 'womens clothing', AE.com ranks within the top 5 pages. Perhaps American Eagle is lesser known than Forever21 and Blair, but shouldn't a 2 character domain name hold any value over theirs in this context?

Randomly hitting my keyboard, I also found 'American Friends' to be on AF.com. Why doesn't AF.com rank on the number one spot for its exact name for 'American Friends' (not even on the first page)? In fact, it doesn't even rank on the first page for 'AF' -- the Air Force and Abercrombie & Fitch have them beat.

So, does a 2 letter name really help you rank?

I'm merely throwing this out there that if we, as domain name investors, are selling the idea that a shorter domain will improve your rankings alone, and it doesn't, we look worse off than we already do 'squatting' on them. :)

•••
PX will always be AAFES to me.
That's what I thought as well. AAFES is too cheap to buy that though; and too busy stealing your money with their 'base savings'. ;)

•••
I'm really wondering if this is truth or nonsense.

When you search for 'affiliate programs' or 'affiliate networks', CJ.com ranks within the top 5, but not number 1. This could be due to its long existence, or it being a 2 letter domain name.

But, when you get into larger, yet still a 'niche' market of 'womens clothing', AE.com ranks within the top 5 pages. Perhaps American Eagle is lesser known than Forever21 and Blair, but shouldn't a 2 character domain name hold any value over theirs in this context?

Randomly hitting my keyboard, I also found 'American Friends' to be on AF.com. Why doesn't AF.com rank on the number one spot for its exact name for 'American Friends' (not even on the first page)? In fact, it doesn't even rank on the first page for 'AF' -- the Air Force and Abercrombie & Fitch have them beat.

So, does a 2 letter name really help you rank?

I'm merely throwing this out there that if we, as domain name investors, are selling the idea that a shorter domain will improve your rankings alone, and it doesn't, we look worse off than we already do 'squatting' on them. :)

I honestly don't think any domain makes that much of a difference.

A brand that can spend 7-figures on a name will have influence to begin with and a website with a GoDaddy special will not have influence to begin with.

It might be that simple.

•••
A brand that can spend 7-figures on a name will have influence to begin with and a website with a GoDaddy special will not have influence to begin with.
Probably true, and would be worth it to such companies in such a competitive market to rank even 1 place higher with that name. However, would results like that really come?

I know if I were handling 7 figures and didn't see a boost in anything except un-targeted type-in traffic, I'd be fairly irate for not choosing to pump 7 figures into advertising where I know I would have artificial placement instead (which may or may not drip over to actual SERPS on who I'm paying).

•••
PX, grew up in one!

For SEO purposes, they would have to really work on good keywords, and really push PX by itself.

But hey, it is a two word domain.
Whether the company succeeds on getting this branded enough to make it worth while or not, time will tell.

•••
Every LL is a million $ asset at this point. Companies come and go but there's only so many of these domains to go around.

•••
Every LL is a million $ asset at this point. Companies come and go but there's only so many of these domains to go around.
+1
Drew knows this and congrats to him for getting where he is to be able to pull these buy and sells that make headlines (or are done with private celebrations)! These days, a two letter dot com has mega potential as an investment and a LL.com with an X has even more screaming potential, especially when the second letter is not a vowel or V. Hats off to you Drew! Maybe you can come to RI for vacation more often!

•••

I think the point being made is that it's could be misplaced value. Someone may be paying for scarcity when scarcity is not necessarily the most valuable attribute of the name.

•••
•••
•••
"plus additional consideration" - That's the most interesting part of the sale - the $1MM must be a minor part of the payment.

•••
Great sale!
I have pxij dot com though in my pf.

•••
•••
I still can sale some nice 2-letters though no .COM
I even have 1-letters jet

•••
Maybe they don't really mean SEO. Many people outside the industry misuse or misunderstand the terms. It is just not their every day focus. I think you would be hard pressed to make the case that a two letter name has some special ability to outrank other websites when many other things such as content, credibility through social, links, etc make a big difference.

I do think that a two letter name is easy to remember and market so that if you meant marketing rather than SEO you may well have a sizable advantage over others with longer, harder to remember names. I am not going to misspell PX and it's easy for me to tell my friends about and have them remember for example.

•••
•••
I believe "Content is King" to get the 1st page not the domain name. But it's easy to remember & LL (digital asset).

Congratulations mate.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back