Dynadot

PushToAuction.com Helps Get Domains on Sedo™ Auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael

NameBio.comTop Member
NameBio.com
Impact
I just wanted to let everyone know who hasn't already heard of the site that PushToAuction.com is a place to market domains that you would like to push to auction at Sedo™.

But what does Sedo™ think about all this?
I spoke with Mark Klein, Sedo's director of business development, about the concept, intent, and implementation of the site. He is well aware of the site's existence, and hasn't expressed any desire for us to stop providing this service to industry professionals.

But won't this lead to a lot of canceled auctions?
The answer is no. I worked closely with Tom Fell, Sedo's North American risk management coordinator, to monitor several hundred auctions started through the site. He was unable to find any correlation between an auction having been started from our site and an increase in canceled auctions. Essentially, the ratio of completed auctions to canceled auctions on Sedo as a whole was not markedly different then the ratio for ones started from PushToAuction.

But won't this encourage favors?
We have made the site as anonymous as possible by not having user names and requiring logins. If you don't know who made the offer, you won't be inclined to reciprocate.

So, how does it work?
You list your domain for free on PushToAuction.com. If someone browsing the site would be happy purchasing your domain for at least $60, they will proceed to make the offer through Sedo™. Once the offer is received, the seller is obligated to push to domain to auction. We also have a featured listing option available for $5 that places the listing on the home page and the top of its category.

Are people having success using the site?
Absolutely! At the time of this post, PushToAuction.com has started 271 auctions. Of those, 255 have already ended with sales totaling $79,117, an average of $310 per domain. The highest sale so far was 6JJ.com which closed at $1,068. These stats are updated live on the right side-bar. Not bad for having only been live four months :tu:

So what's in it for buyers?
Two things. The most important benefit from the site is saving time. Let's say you want to buy a CCC.com at fair market value. You go through Sedo making a few dozen offers, but every single one of those gets countered with $30k+ (as usually happens on Sedo). You just wasted hours of your time searching, and you don't have your domain. Instead, just pop on PushToAuction.com, go to the Acronyms category, make a single $60 offer, and seven days later you have your domain at a fair price.

The second reason buyers use the site is they are hoping to get the domain cheap. Imagine if you made a $60 offer on a domain that is $300 min wholesale and nobody noticed the auction. You just got a bargain! The truth is that rarely happens, but there's no harm in trying, you never know when you'll get lucky :)

Am I going to waste time clicking a lot of dead links?
We wouldn't do that to you. There are sophisticated programs running in the background that maintain the site. If a listing gets deleted from Sedo, the listing automatically gets removed from the site. If a listing gets pushed to auction, it automatically gets moved to Current Auctions. When an auction closes, it automatically gets moved to Past Auctions, the price gets recorded, and the home page stats get updated. This update happens once a day at 5am EST (GMT -5).

We've spent a lot of time creating the site, promoting it, and making sure Sedo is comfortable with it. We hope it provides a valuable service to the community and makes the process of buying or selling a domain more efficient.

Domain Name Wire even did a feature on the site, click here to read it.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cool service. I'm putting some names up now.

•••
It sounds like a great service --- I listed a bunch today and am looking forward to seeing what happens. Brilliant idea and I'm glad Sedo approves.

Last edited:
•••
Any chance of adding an advanced search function? Say to search by extension?

•••
We'll definitely be adding advanced search with similar options as NameBio. That is on the top of the to-do list once the site grows more. With only 3k listings spread out over 29 categories we don't see too much of a need for advanced search at this point. We'll definitely implement it in the near future though.

By the way, there have now been 400 completed auctions as a result of PushToAuction.com that netted sellers $121,947. Also, PushToAuction.com is honored to be recommended by Domaining.com under the "Tools" category! :)

•••
Will definalty be having a look at the site very soon, sounds like a good concept and it also gives the names that bit more exposure :)

•••
Is there a bulk add feature yet :cy:

•••
Great idea!

I'm getting ready to add a few domains and give it a try. :tu:

Last edited:
•••
If i want to list a domain, do i need to park it on Sedo? :)

Last edited:
•••
nice service, just added a domain.

•••
xrvel said:
If i want to list a domain, do i need to park it on Sedo? :)
You don't have to park it at Sedo. Be aware though, that if you haven't parked a domain there for 30 days, their commission of 10% has a minimum of $50... so if you push to auction at $60 and get no bids, you'll only get $10 in your pocket. I always recommend parking at Sedo unless you really expect it to sell for around $500+.

However, you must have the domain listed for sale at Sedo to list it on PushToAuction.com... so if you don't have a Sedo account you won't be able to use the site.

•••
Excellent idea Michael - why didn't I notice this back in September ? I'll definitely be checking it out.

•••
Um... I have a question. I haven't pushed any of my domain names to auction at sedo.com. I was wondering if just in case someone offers me a price on sedo.com through PushToAuction and I push it to auction, will my name be under the "Featured Auctions" category on Sedo which is on its homepage? :) If yes, how many days does the auction last?

Thanks.

•••
advaita said:
Excellent idea Michael - why didn't I notice this back in September ? I'll definitely be checking it out.
Thanks. We launched back in May but haven't advertised much, it is mostly spreading by word of mouth.

RaviUTA said:
Um... I have a question. I haven't pushed any of my domain names to auction at sedo.com. I was wondering if just in case someone offers me a price on sedo.com through PushToAuction and I push it to auction, will my name be under the "Featured Auctions" category on Sedo which is on its homepage? :) If yes, how many days does the auction last?

Thanks.
Yes, your auction will go under the "Featured Auctions" section of Sedo's homepage. However, unless the price goes really high or it is in the last few hours of the auction, people will have to click "more" to see it. Sedo's auctions last 7 days.

•••
Michael said:
Yes, your auction will go under the "Featured Auctions" section of Sedo's homepage. However, unless the price goes really high or it is in the last few hours of the auction, people will have to click "more" to see it. Sedo's auctions last 7 days.

Thanks for replying Michael. Right now I just see one page of names under the "Featured Auctions" so... um, I guess our names will get noticed :-/

•••
Michael said:

This is actually untrue. .ORG, for example, is not automatically added to that section. Also, if it is a two word .com at $60 it is unlikely to make it there.

Best of luck though with your auction, though!

•••
Pound said:
This is actually untrue. .ORG, for example, is not automatically added to that section. Also, if it is a two word .com at $60 it is unlikely to make it there.

Best of luck though with your auction, though!
Every auction that has ever been on PushToAuction.com has been on that list, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

•••
I have chosen a few names to list with PushtoAuction and have parked them with Sedo. To avoid the $50 minimum Sedo commission do I have to wait 30 days or is it enough to have them parked with Sedo ?

•••
advaita said:
I have chosen a few names to list with PushtoAuction and have parked them with Sedo. To avoid the $50 minimum Sedo commission do I have to wait 30 days or is it enough to have them parked with Sedo ?
If you're not confident that they will break $500 I would wait the 30 days before listing them on PushToAuction.com.

•••
Michael said:
If you're not confident that they will break $500 I would wait the 30 days before listing them on PushToAuction.com.

I do not see a 30 day minimum on their site. Can someone who knows confirm this? Has anyone sold a name before the 30 day period and not been charged the flat fee min? I have been told by others that as soon as the name is accepted and resolving, the "parked at sedo" applies.

•••
Hmm, that's weird, I remember reading it on their site a few months ago. I just got off the phone with Sedo, and the rep said their rule on that recently changed, and that there is no longer a rule regarding the number of days it needs to be parked at Sedo. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Spartan, +rep on the way.

•••
MrSpartan - I had a name TheLakeDistrict.tv that was put up for auction for $60 - as I had moved it to another parking co. the commission I was going to be invoiced was $50 so I reparked it with Sedo then wrote to them and explained and they reduced the commission to $10 - so yes theoretically you need to have it with them for 30 days but they may change the $50 commission if they feel like it. At the moment I have names I want to list with Pushtoauction and have paked them with Sedo but am waiting for the 30 days to elapse just in case.

•••
I called Sedo and confirmed, there is no 30-day rule any more. When you sold the .tv the rule might still have been in effect.

•••
@Michael

Till now its not fully clear to me whats the 60$ are about. 60$ is the minimum bidprice but...

* I park a domain at sedo. Because an auction is bringin in more money I want to push it to auction. so...
* I post it at pusttoauction
* I wait for visitors of pushtoaution that want to help me by give a 60$ bid
* I hope that other bidders at sedo are bidding more and if I dont have that luck the visitor of pushtoauction has to pay the 60$ for the domain. Then I pay him 60$ through paypal...
* If the domain at sedo gets more bids I only have to pay sedo...

Thats not so clear for me:
# If you submit your domain you must push to auction at Sedo™ for $60.
That means the 60$ minimum bid or that I have to pay with paypal because...
# We accept payment by PayPal™ only.
...you accept paypal..

Is that right or did I misunderstood the concept?

Greetings!
Sebastian

•••
Sebastian,

How it works is you list the domain on PushToAuction.com with the understanding that if someone makes you a $60 offer, you have to start an auction. Regular listings on PushToAuction.com are free, and featured listings which show on the homepage and at the top of the category you chose cost $5 (through PayPal, and now also through NP$).

Once the auction starts, you have to follow through with the sale no matter what happens. If there are no more bids, the person who made the $60 offer pays Sedo, you transfer the domain to Sedo, and Sedo pays you $54 (if you had it parked there).

The idea behind the site is that the domain will almost always reach its fair market value because Sedo has such a huge audience. Therefore if you list a domain that is worth $400 in the reseller market and start the auction at $60, it almost definitely won't stay at $60. It will probably hit $400 or maybe even go higher. If you look at the stats in the right column, right now the average final sale price through the site is $303.

The reason you are listing domains on the site is to get extra exposure. There are 11.5 million domains on Sedo, with tens of thousands of new domains added every day. Even if you list a good domain with Sedo, it might not get offers because it gets lost in the crowd. PushToAuction.com helps your domain get seen, and helps it get an offer quickly so you can start an auction.

You never have to pay anything other than Sedo's commission though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael

•••
Great explanation... :)

I think I will try it now with 2 domains...

Greetings!
Sebastian

Some more Questions... :)

I put 2 domains in. Hope they get to auction...

I choosed the Featured thing. So can you say something about how worthfully that is? Maybe how fast compared to normal listings are the featured ones going to auction?

The domains are at sedo(offcourse). So do I have to set the minimum-price there to 60$ or isnt that needed?

For the case, dont know if that happens, that the domain dont goes to auction can I delete the domain from pushtoauction? Maybe when I want to sell it elsewhere then on sedo? Or what happens when the domain is sold on another place?

Thats all... :) Will see how it works...

Greetings!
Sebastian

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back