Dynadot

debate Public Perception On Domain Parking

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
From a site in the internet I got theses opinions about Domain Parking:

1) Some view it as a means of making money through smart speculation on which domains will receive large amounts of traffic. Supporters of this practice claim "it uses domain names to deliver relevant advertising and enhanced search options instead of serving the Internet users with an error page.”. Additionally, many registrars used parked pages to make revenue from pages that would otherwise have no other content.

2) Extreme oppositional viewpoints see domain parking as Internet clutter that contributes no unique content to the Internet community and simply takes up name space that could be put to better use.

Which one of these views do you support ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The vast majority of the public, I suspect about 90%, have absolutely no interest in domains or know anything about how they or the internet works. They have no view.

Of the remaining 10%, I don't think many care about domain parking, but might have a view on the concept of buying domains to simply sell them on for a profit. I think that's where the likely opinion split is...

I've been on both sides of the fence. I own a modest domain portfolio, but I also develop web applications and it does get annoying when pretty much every usable domain has been bought up by people with unrealistic price expectations. Quite often I'll develop a small application just for fun - I don't plan on making any real money from it so I sure as hell aren't going to pay thousands of dollars for a domain. But many domain sellers seem to think they are dealing with secret multinational organisations, and set eyewatering prices that essentially mean domains never sell.

There are some posters on NP that are well known that genuinely think their domains are worth millions and will eventually probably either let them drop or sell them for a few hundred bucks.

Last edited:
•••
Yes all of that and with money you can change it to anything you like.

Last edited:
•••
I own a modest domain portfolio,

As a newbie, I like to be completely sure about the domainers' terminology and its definitions.
What exactly a portfolio, regarding domain names, is ?
Is it just the entire set of domain names someone owns -or- something else ?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back